malwarebytes

Old 10-12-14, 04:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 119 Votes on 106 Posts
malwarebytes

I've been using malwarebytes for several years but somehow it got switched to the paid free trial edition I've removed it from my pc and downloaded the free edition several times but it always comes back as the expired paid edition. I contacted malwarebytes almost 2 weeks ago but haven't gotten a response

Why can't I get the free version back? Do I need to give up and switch to a different malware program?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-14, 09:15 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When you install the free version, it's easy to miss the checked box that says enable free trial of the paid version. I always uncheck it.

You can try to delete all the instances of malwarebytes in the registry & try to download & install it again. Run regedit from the run box, click edit & find, type malwarebytes & press enter. After you delete the first instance, continue to press F3 to find the next instance. Eventually, it will finish. Reboot & try to download & install the free version again.

Old 10-12-14, 11:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've uninstalled it several times and make sure that I click on the free version but it keeps coming back as the paid version [free trial expired] and won't run I've been doing this thru the control panel, programs, uninstall.

What is regedit?

Old 10-12-14, 11:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Here is an article on Regedit that might help. Learn How to Use the Windows Registry Editor (Regedit) in One Easy Lesson

Old 10-12-14, 12:15 PM
marksr have you tried System Restore? I would try that first and restore your system to an earlier date. Also did you ever have the paid version if so I think I remember a lifetime license but that could have been years ago and been changed. Regedit is the system registry editor I am linking you to a tutorial on how to use regedit here is the link How to Use Regedit: 7 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow . Use regedit only as a last resort and then very carefully. I will give you some additional instructions other than what is on the page that I linked to.

To find regedit in Windows XP just go to where it says Run type in regedit and then click O.k. . In Windows Vista and later go to your search window at the bottom of the screen and type regedit and then look for regedit and click on it.

The regedit screen hasn't changed it is still the same from version to version of Windows so my instructions will be the same for all versions of Windows. Now that you have the regedit screen see where it says Edit? Now click on Find and in the Find box type in Malwarebytes and then click on delete. Press Find Next and then delete what comes up next until you see no more instances of Malwarebytes in the registry. Then just go to file and click Exit and you are done. If you are not sure of something in the registry then just leave it alone.

I personally like SuperAntiSpyware better they have a free version that so far hasn't expired on me and I am now using three versions of Windows, Windows 7, Windows XP and Windows 10 tech release version and so far no problems. You can use a trial version if you wish and that protects your computer a bit better but you don't have to. Since Windows 10 is just a limited release tech copy I did decide to go with the trial version to better test Windows 10 but use the free version on my real installs. Find SuperAntiSpyware here SUPERAntiSpyware | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!

Old 10-12-14, 04:07 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Until it is totally erased from the registry, malwarebytes will continue to see the paid version. regedit is how you get into the registry.

Old 10-12-14, 04:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
For others and Marksr, I just updated this on the kids computer and the "pre-checked" box for the free trial pain version is located on the final instruction screen where is says to click "Finish". There are 2 boxes pre-checked - Launch Free Paid Trial and Launch Malwarebytes Program. You need to uncheck the box.

Old 10-13-14, 04:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for the links

I've never had the paid edition although I suppose it's possible my wife clicked on a pop up box which changed it from the free edition. She only uses my computer to play solitaire and to check in with family/friends on facebook.

I'm going to switch to super anti spyware as that seems like the easiest fix for me

Old 10-13-14, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
When the notification comes up stating that it is expired, click on the tooltip balloon message. It should open up a window with the option to End trial, click on that option and this shouldn't occur again.

I would not mess with the registry... your looking for trouble

Old 10-13-14, 07:53 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Don't be afraid of the registry. Learn it the way you would anything else.

Old 10-13-14, 10:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not opposed to learning something new but switching malware programs was too easy to ignore. Don't know why I didn't think of that on my own

Old 10-13-14, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
malware bytes is far superior IMO the SASW.

Old 10-13-14, 05:48 PM
Temporarily Suspended
marksr, if you follow the instructions that I posted, there is no way that you could make a mistake. You would only be deleting keys that pertain to malwarebytes. That can't possibly ruin the machine. Try the other program & see how you like it.