Looking for CAD software advise and help

Old 10-12-14, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink Looking for CAD software advise and help

Hello. I'm looking for a CAD program I can use to design a small enclosed utility trailer I'm about to build.
The enclosure will be built exclusively from light weight metal: angle iron - rectangular/ square tubing - C channel, etc, covered with an aluminum skin.
I'm wondering if anyone has any software ideas for a CAD rookie such as myself?
Thank you so much in advance

Rookie Needs Help

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-14, 03:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 327 Votes on 306 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

We try to keep a topic contained in a single thread. It keeps us from having to watch a second one and keeps all the ideas in one place.

I have access now to a full blown autoCAD system. In the near future I'll be leaving there. I was just starting to look into a program called CAD lite.

Just looking at this site.... free program.
No good on cadstd-lite. They wanted to load their own custom web browser...... not happening.

Last edited by PJmax; 10-12-14 at 04:05 PM. Reason: removed link to cad site
Old 10-12-14, 03:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
Personally I have not found CAD to be worthwhile for most one off, home made projects and especially so if you have to first learn the program. If you just want to do this one project I would resort to old fashioned paper. If you foresee a future of projects you wish to design in CAD then it makes more sense to learn a program.

Old 10-12-14, 04:06 PM
Group Moderator
You hit the nail right on the head. It is time consuming to learn and you must keep using it or everything you've learned is forgotten. I still have a need for an alternate program.

Old 10-12-14, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Welcome to the forum I have to agree trying to learn CAD software can be challenging however there is some software you might like called BabaCAD. BabaCAD is totally free so the price is certainly right and all you are doing is using your time and hard drive space. Here is a link to the BabaCad website BabaCAD - Free CAD Software . To be honest with you I just downloaded it and thought I might use it but I never have. I think it is good software though and they have a forum and tutorials on their website. Whenever I have free time I will try it myself just for fun.

Old 10-12-14, 09:00 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for the link. Looks like a first class program.