Printer setup

Old 10-23-14, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Printer setup

Ok, I used to have my printer setup where it was hard wired to one computer (on the network via wireless N) and then shared. Situation has changed and that PC is no longer available. Printer is wireless capable but only at b (maybe g). Had it the other way so it wouldn't slow everything else down.

If I go ahead and set it up wireless, if it's turned off, would it still slow things down or only when it's powered up and running? Have 2 power users (plus little old me) in the house now. They stream and game all the time, so any decrease might be noticeable. No biggie for a few minutes while I print, but don't want it constantly.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-14, 09:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
Our printer stays powered on all the time and connected to the wireless network which is B/G/N but the printer is only B/G and I have not restricted it to one band so I assume it is using G while everything else in the house is probably using N. It goes into sleep mode when it's not being used and I have never noticed an impact on network performance when a document is not being sent.

Old 10-23-14, 10:07 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A wireless printer shouldn't affect the network speed at all. If you should get another PC to connect the printer through a USB port, share the printer through that machine instead of using the wireless network adapter, in the printer. Of course, the machine has to be on all the time. It's rare that a home user needs 2 activated network adapters, in the same device at the same time. I only do it with a VM.