Is it possible to speed up our internet connection ?

Old 10-25-14, 03:25 PM
Y
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Is it possible to speed up our internet connection ?

We have CenturyLink HiSpeed DSL account. It is anything but HiSpeed.

1.35 mbps down and 750 kbps up..... over copper lines laid about 1980 and about 1 mile to CLink service box/server by the side of the road.

CLink says they can't help until fiber optic lines replace existing copper. They say congestion is the main problem.

We have a 2006 Qwest modem GT-701, ActionTec.

Question: If we get a bigger and better modem...will that help ? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-14, 03:28 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
No, a better modem won't help. Your problem is telco infrastructure. If you have water from a " pipe connecting a 2" pipe to the end of it won't increase the water flow.

Old 10-25-14, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Nope...nothing you can do til they upgrade the infrastructure. DSL is worse as I understand than cable with more users = lower speed, not positive of that.

Do they have any speed guarantees? Not "up to xxx mbps" but "at least XXX mbps"?

Old 10-25-14, 08:54 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I agree buying a new router now will be futile and really will not help things. I would wait until fiber optic is available or if available consider cable. That being said though there are two computer programs that can help to make what you have the best possible. One is tcpoptimizer and the other dns benchmark, are they miracle programs no but they will help to make the best out of a bad situation. Here are links to both programs first tcpoptimizer SpeedGuide.net :: TCP Optimizer / Downloads and now dns benchmark https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm .

I use both programs with my Verizon Fios as I have the lowest tier as far as speed is concerned and both programs help a great deal. These two programs are especially helpful with wireless connections but I have also used them on my wired desktop. These two programs will help to get as much out of your connection as possible and best of all they are free. When your situation changes you will need to run these again. Neither program installs on your computer and you will need to find them in your download section of your computer each time you use them.

Old 10-27-14, 01:10 PM
Y
Thanks for the replies. Not what I wanted to hear, but.........

Hedgeclippers. Your links were for Windows. We have Apple OSX 10.6.8 last time I checked. Anything for us? Thanks.

Old 10-27-14, 10:54 PM
H
Actually yes there is yet another program that will run both programs called Wine. You read it right Wine and I have used Wine myself only with a Linux distribution called PCLinuxOS. I found out you could use the Dns Benchmark program with a Mac by looking at their website only as with Linux it requires Wine. To first be able to install Wine though you need to install Macports which is first talked about here MacOSX - The Official Wine Wiki under prerequisites.

Next you need to go to another website and install Macport here is the link to Macport The MacPorts Project -- Download & Installation. After you install Macport click on available ports and then search for Wine. Once you find Wine with the Macport software installed according to what I have read you should be able to install Wine. I would also install Wine Tricks too as with that you can also install certain Windows components you might want.

Wine I know works fine with Linux and both Operating Systems are Unix based but that is where the similarities end so I can't guide you any further. I only know what I have read and with Linux there are repositories that make compiling programs like Wine relatively easy. I really don't know if Apple has anything like a repository but I do know they make periodic updates to their Operating System. So I would check with Apple first and then if they don't have it try my links. No guarantees and all I can say is this should work but can't say for sure.

The one thing I do know for certain though is that many people use Microsoft products on Macs like Office for instance. As to whether this is the right path for you I can't say for certain not ever having a Mac.

Old 10-28-14, 07:04 AM
Y
hedge.....thank you for your thoughts

Old 10-28-14, 05:03 PM
N
In this age DSL and "High Speed" shouldn't be uttered together. There really isn't much you can do with DSL. Recommendation is to move to Cable or Fiber.

Old 10-30-14, 12:48 PM
Y
gunguy....your post #3. "connection speed up to 1.5 Mbps/896 Kdbps" They got me.....

Old 10-30-14, 03:44 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Before the ISP is totally blamed for a slow connection, a few other things should be considered. One of them is that on downloads, the speed at which the data is written to the hard drive can make it appear that the connection is slower than it really is. SSDs help improve that part of the equation. On newer computers with RAM over 16GB, there is really no reason to use a page/swap file.

As hedgeclippers mentioned, TCP OPtimizer from speedguide.net is a good program to improve the network card's ability to talk to the WAN.

I'm a fan of fiber but don't forget that fiber turns into copper when it hits the interface on the side of the building/house. Most likely, there is no fiber, in your house.

Old 11-17-14, 07:38 AM
Y
Century Link sent me a new gateway/router. They are in the process of replacing the big server box on the road about a mile from our house. We shall see...........

Old 11-25-14, 06:29 AM
Y
The new gateway/router is in.....and does help. I think part of the problem was that the wrong internet address was in the #2 position in the airport. I dunno.....but it is working better/faster.