New Router

Old 10-26-14, 09:23 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Router

I need to log in to this website every visit.
I just changed my router. I didn't change any internet settings as far as I know.
Should I go into router settings and turn off firewall?
I'm lost. I used to be pretty good at computers, but with so many settings now, it's confusing.

Also, I may have a virus or computer is going out. Weird things are happening.
Typing cursor is getting lost, web pages won't scroll, various sounds are not playing (not iTunes, but system sounds).

And the main thing that concerns me, cursor shows system busy almost all the time.

I could go on but I don't want to bore you.

Old 10-26-14, 10:25 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
It is a known bug that pops up occasionally. Try clearing all DIY related cookies or first try a different browser just to verify it is a browser specific problem. Never turn off the firewall in your router.

Old 10-26-14, 11:27 AM
H
I agree never turn of your firewall on your router and also use the firewall that is built into Windows if you are running Windows. Even so though things can go beyond the firewalls that you have set up I suggest you check for malware using SuperAntiSpyware that you can find here SUPERAntiSpyware | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware! . I just use the free edition of SuperAntispyware and I don't buy the paid version or use Malwarebytes that you can find here https://www.malwarebytes.org/ . Be aware that Malwarebytes is just a trial version that works for about a month only.

I say try both programs though and scan with them to see if you have any problems. One program might be better at finding something that the other program can't find.

Old 10-26-14, 04:58 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
The problems that you described do not have anything to do with the router. Download, install, update & run, in that order, anti malware from malwarebytes.org Be sure to uncheck the enable free trail box of the professional version. Quarantine whatever it finds. If that doesn't solve the problems, download & run Hijack This. Post the output here if you don't understand it & I will tell you what to delete.

You can also run msconfig, go to the startup tab & check disable all. Click apply & ok, then reboot & click ok again.

Old 10-26-14, 05:16 PM
Thanks Pulpo and Hedge,
I might be off line for a while or occasionally. The fact that my cursor is showing "busy" or working in background makes me think someone got in. Plus the other weird stuff that's happening.

Pulpo, One last question before I shut down. Every since the early days of computers, I've always been prepared to just scrub hard drive down, reformat, and just start from scratch.
Any pros or cons? It's always worked for me.
As I'm typing this, I have had to type a few characters, Use mouse to reposition cursor and then type a few more, etc. Very Odd. Cursor will disappear from a dialog box and no input can be made.

Old 10-26-14, 05:56 PM
H
Wiping the hard drive I consider a last resort but sometimes you just have to do it. I know I did recently and I had went through the registry of my computer just as Pulpo suggests and I deleted keys but still had problems. So I wiped everything on the laptop and started over again but I sure didn't want to do it. Luckily for me this is a new used Samsung laptop I bought not long ago and I really didn't save much on the hard drive. Of all of the programs out there I would use D-Ban as that will clean your hard drive the best. D-Ban takes a while to clear a drive but the wait is worth it.

Be sure to save all of your files though as once D-Ban is done your computer will be completely wiped and you will no longer have access to your files.

Old 10-26-14, 07:22 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It is also the last resort for me. At the same time, some people say that you can never really be sure that you got rid of the malware. I have more confidence in myself than that. It's really personal preference.

Old 10-27-14, 06:33 AM
Pulpo,
My computer is very slow. I stumbled onto something. I don't know if it's the problem but it's very strange. There are many (very many) instances of dllhost running. I read something about com surrogate.
Should I go in a stop each instance of this running? There's at least 20 or more running at the same time.

Old 10-27-14, 06:49 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Why does dllhost.exe Com surrogate consumes memory untill crash - Microsoft Community

Is that the site that you read? You can try to stop each instance from running but chances are they will start again after a reboot. You can also try to disable all in msconfig, startup tab. I think that would yield more results. As always, I recommend anti malware from malwarebytes.org

Important: Always update any anti malware or anti virus program before you run it. If they don't have the latest .dat files, they don't have a good chance in recognizing the signature, of the malware.

If none of that works, run Hijack This & post the output here. I'll tell you what to delete.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: