Replace iPod Classic

Old 11-07-14, 02:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
Replace iPod Classic

So I got an iPod Classic in 2007 as a Father's Day present and it's starting to fail on me. Were they not an arm and a leg in price now due to their being discontinued, I would by another Classic as I have a lot of songs loaded which I only want to listen to occasionally, which means I'm forwarding to the next song quite often and that's just one click on the Classic.

Any suggestions for my new player? I need it to play music only, no internet or other capability needed (like my daughter's iPod Touch).

Obviously, since I'm using an iTunes device, I have music in AAC format but I have most of the songs stored on a harddrive in mp3 or wav format, so I'm not overly concerned the new player be able to handle AAC.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-14, 02:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
I assume you have looked at the other iPods like the Nano. How much storage do you need?

Surprisingly the one I use most is the Shuffle. No display. Small and simple. Load on the songs you want to hear 95% of the time and re-load it when you want a different mix of songs.

Old 11-07-14, 02:55 PM
Group Moderator
Good question, sorry I left that out - I have about 10 GB loaded on it.

Old 11-07-14, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Why not just use your phone Mitch...or are you an anti-smart phone guy like me?

Old 11-08-14, 10:24 AM
Group Moderator
No, I'm on my third smart phone and that's a possibility but my phone tends to be used just as a phone and I've always had my music separate.

Old 11-08-14, 12:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Around here we have GameStop which sells new and used video games. I think that they are a national unit or franchise, but not sure. Our local one sells used iPhones and iPods at a reasonable price. There is a possibility that you will run into a classic on the secondary market such as this. While I have not purchased one from them, I have them as a safety valve if my phone gets damaged and I need a replacement that doesn't go through my cellular carrier. Worth checking into some second hand shops. Pawn shops would be another place to take a peek. Although they are not really a great deal, sometime you can hit upon a favorable transaction.

Old 11-08-14, 01:20 PM
Group Moderator
Since you had an iPod have you considered a Nano? I prefer the older models with the smaller screen and buttons but I'm sure the newer ones work well enough and have more than enough storage for your needs.

Old 11-08-14, 02:43 PM
Group Moderator
I'll have to look - just assumed a Nano would not have enough capacity for me.

Old 11-08-14, 05:42 PM
Group Moderator
The stock Nano has 16gb capacity. I'm not a fan of the touch screen as I use my iPods most when I'm working and like to be able to press buttons by feel without having to look at a screen. I suppose that's Apple's version of progress.

I am glad they put the buttons back on the Shuffle, my favorite iPod. It does not have the capacity you need but they are so cheap and indestructible that I keep coming back to it. No display, no nothing. I just plug it into my headset when mowing or working and press play. The only real opion in my mind is shuffle or not.

Old 11-09-14, 05:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
I'll agree with others. I like both the Shuffle and Nano, depending on how you listen to your music.

If you have a playlist and just like listening to it on random (or straight through), the Shuffle is perfect. No nonsense. But since it's only 2GB, you won't be able to have all your music on it all the time.

On the other hand, if you like listening to a specific album or artist, the Nano's screen allows you to search and pick what you want to listen to.

Old 11-09-14, 06:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I use both my Ipad and an Ipod touch to download music. Not much choice since both have my account and password, they download simultaneously. Wifey was using the touch as a PDA years ago, until the advent of the smart phone, so she abandoned it. I picked it up and just use it for music. I have a jobsite radio that has a dedicated older Ipod plug, so I just plug it in and play music for hours at a time. I can't believe what they are asking for used Ipod touches

For my truck radio, I transfer the music to a thumb drive and plug it directly into the USB port on the radio. I don't have shuffle capabilities, but can skip music as I go. Much more compact than having my Ipod and a cord hanging out.