MS Office 365

Old 12-10-14, 05:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 51 Votes on 41 Posts
MS Office 365

Currently using Office 2010 suite. Wifey forwarded me an email that says we can get Office 365 for free through the school. Did some browsing and reading and looks like okay to go ahead and do it.

Comments, suggestions, pros/cons?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-14, 07:42 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
No experience with it but the big difference is it's cloud based instead of being a local application. Using Office 2013 myself.

Old 12-10-14, 06:54 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is that a download or a CD? Is it the student version without Outlook? If it's a download, download it & install it on a different PC not the one with the other version.

Old 12-11-14, 01:32 AM
H
I am using Office 2010 Home and Student, Office 365 is definitely cloud based and if your wife ever quits her job then you will definitely have to pay for it and it isn't real cheap per month but not real expensive either. I can't say exactly how much now but I know I wasn't impressed with it. I have used some cloud storage for photos and a church bulletin I wanted to show someone who was out of town but for real personal letters I just don't know that I trust it that much. I also wouldn't use it to store leases either I don't want my tenants information in the cloud.

Old 12-11-14, 04:30 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah, my biggest concern was getting on the band wagon for free and then ending up sometime down the line having to pay. Frankly the Office 2010 I currently use does everything I need already. Wifey is a substitute teacher, so can't really lose her job. Also son is in 5th grade, so we'll have a student in the family for a few years yet.

The 365 is a download through the school system and yes one idea was to download it on our secondary computer, a laptop, or the laptop I carry on the wrecker that has no office suite on it.

Old 12-11-14, 05:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Votes on 80 Posts
I saw the commericial for the free Office 365 last night, and it said it was only free for one year! So, looks like you might have to pay eventually.
HOWEVER, maybe the school version is always free. I remember my son was able to d/l Office free when he was in college, and he never had to pay.

Old 12-11-14, 10:49 AM
H
My suspicion about Office 365 is that someone I am sure pays for their service and if not a teacher or a student then it is the college or school system so it definitely gets paid for somewhere. Even if it is totally free while the person is either employed by a school system or in college then once they leave and are no longer a student or teacher then they start charging money for Office. I imagine too they think then they have you trapped as you most likely kept your documents stored in the cloud and wouldn't want to lose them.

I personally suggest LibreOffice it isn't cloud based although you could always pay a cloud service to store your documents if that is what you wished. Find LibreOffice here Home | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Fun Project - Fantastic People . Best of all LibreOffice is free and well supported by volunteers and constantly being updated to make it better. LibreOffice has the main program and a help file to download separately so be sure to download both. Best of all too you can open any file Microsoft has and even create any file that Microsoft has including Powerpoint.

Old 12-11-14, 12:53 PM
Received 189 Votes on 171 Posts
I agree with Hedgeclipper, use Libre Office suite. It's almost identical to MS office and it's free. The biggest problem with a cloud based service (be it you pay or not) is if and when your Internet service goes down, or you loose power or you're not in an Internet accessible area you're up a creek without a paddle. I prefere to be able to have full access to the program and my documents at anytime with or without Internet service.

Old 12-11-14, 01:20 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Also, cloud services are anything but private not that anything else is private but they are less so. Remember to use somewhere between 12 to 15 character passwords. They can be easily remembered if you take a phrase & use letters & numbers from the phrase.

For example: A line from a Harry Nielson song. Mix the lime with the coconut & call me in the morning.

Possible password. Mt1wtc&cmitm All I did was take the first letter from each word. I capitalized the first letter & replaced the L from lime with a 1. That's just basic. It's long, easy to remember & won't be found in a dictionary attack. Brute force would be needed instead.

Old 12-11-14, 06:48 PM
H
I agree with you Pulpo it is just too easy for someone to be able to steal something from the cloud. Take for example some pictures of celebrities that apparently they took with their cell phones. Needless to say I don't need to say what kinds of pictures were stolen and this is not that kind of forum:NO NO NO:. It is though an example of how bad things can get with cloud storage. Norm201 makes a really great point about needing internet service almost constantly to be able to use Office 365.

I too prefer to be able to have full access to all of my files on just one computer. Not that I don't share my files between my computers I do, not every day though. When I do share files between my laptop and my desktop it is over my network connection and not in the cloud.

Old 12-11-14, 07:46 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
hedgeclippers, You can say it. Everyone knows nude pics were copied from the cloud. There is nothing wrong with it. The point is that you can't depend on others for your security.

Old 12-12-14, 04:36 PM
Group Moderator
I store ZIPPO in the "Cloud" for all the reasons already mentioned; that was one of my issues with taking the free 365.

Old 12-12-14, 11:34 PM
H
Do you think then that you will try LibreOffice? I really don't think you will be disappointed. There are two free office suites available LibreOffice and OpenOffice which came before LibreOffice but I believe that LibreOffice is better supported. OpenOffice was available on all Linux platforms but is now mainly available for Mac and Windows. While LibreOffice is cross platform and available for Linux, Windows and Mac so it has a better audience and most but certainly not all of that audience gets involved with the development by giving ideas or writing code.

Old 12-13-14, 04:02 AM
Received 189 Votes on 171 Posts
Once you get use to Libre or Open Office you won't miss MS Office. BTW... both Libre and Open Office will read each others documents. Libre is an off shoot of Open Office. It was feared that Open Office would be tainted when Sun Microsytems (I think) took it over. But I don't think it has.

Old 12-13-14, 06:32 AM
Group Moderator
May give it a try, but it's not high on my lists of projects right now. Only brought it up because the note wife got from IT about the 365.