So, how is Gmail for my service.

Old 12-11-14, 09:46 AM
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
So, how is Gmail for my service.

Pulpo, you said "Gmail has a different set of problems. We'll leave that for another thread." Here's the other thread.
I'm not computer comfortable so forgive any poor references.
I currently use my DSL provider for my email, but if I decide to change my internet service I will need to first change my email provider. And I was considering Gmail as a few others who I communicate with seem to like it. But my options are open so this is not necessarily a thread on dissecting Gmail, but more just finding a good independent email provider. Very casual use so no whistles and bells needed. More concerned with virus protection.
TIA,
Bud

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-14, 10:37 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I have been using email so long I can't remember how long. I seem to recall that at the time I joined it was invitation only. I have been very happy with it. The only occasional blips have been temporary minor browser problem but since I usually have four or five browsers on the machine it was just a matter of using a different browser for a while. Really though those are browser problems not Gmail problems. I remember a lot more problems using Outlook express and my local IPS POP3.

Of course some worry about privacy issues. That just doesn't worry me. Nothing really to keep private.

Last edited by ray2047; 12-11-14 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-11-14, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 36 Votes on 30 Posts
FWIW, I use Gmail in addition to my ISP email, and have had no problems at all with it. Hopefully, Pulpo will tell us what problems he's talking about, because I personally, haven't seen or had any.
I haven't seen any spam come thru and haven't gotten any kind of virus's from it, either.

Old 12-11-14, 11:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 41 Posts
I use gmail only for a secondary email address but I've had no problems with it.

Old 12-11-14, 12:48 PM
Received 52 Votes on 50 Posts
Even if you leave your DSL provider, your e-mail address should still be retained.
The only real problem with G-mail is that it does not sort on any field. There are ways around it but their convoluted. Most any mail server will do if you want web mail vs mail client like MS Outlook or whatever they call it now or SeaMonkey where you down load the e-mail to your computer.
Yahoo, or MS Hotmail offers a good alternative to G-mail and it gives you sorting ability. Who ever you go with will have a mail service you can use. And their all susceptible to being hacked, but its unlikely.

Old 12-11-14, 06:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 245 Posts
I have many email accounts and G mail has always been good to me. It is a little intrusive as it always wants you to "connect with friends". It's email with a little bit more.

Last edited by PJmax; 12-11-14 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-11-14, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think I know what Pulpo has been talking about and that is reports that Google has been reading peoples e-mail. Well actually maybe reading isn't quite correct as I hear they can scan your e-mail for certain key phrases and then they sell that information to advertisers in an anonymous way. I imagine though that other providers may be just as guilty of doing the same thing. There have been other reports about other things like hack attacks but then other e-mail has been hacked too so all you can do is just change your password. I am not a big fan of Google but they are not bad either.

I use AOL free e-mail myself and I am quite satisfied with it. They seem to filter spam fairly well too and after I am finished reading my e-mail I read their news stories which are kind of interesting. The nice thing just like with G-mail it is free and doesn't cost me anything.

Old 12-11-14, 07:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 245 Posts
they can scan your e-mail for certain key phrases and then they sell that information to advertisers in an anonymous way.
I don't doubt that for a minute and with any free email provider too.

Let's face it.... our emails are far from private. Anyone that thinks emails are private and secure is living in a fairyland.

Old 12-11-14, 10:35 PM
Let's face it.... our emails are far from private. Anyone that thinks emails are private and secure is living in a fairyland.
I agree with that Pete and agree that probably all free providers do that. Google though has been more heavily criticized than most other providers. Here is a short article I found that only talks about Google G-mail Gmail does scan all emails, new Google terms clarify | Technology | The Guardian .

At least now they are admitting to what they do which is a step in the right direction. Now though they should stop the practice of selling ads based on their scan of your e-mail. Scanning for viruses I don't mind a provider doing but selling ads based on my e-mail isn't right.

Old 12-12-14, 01:07 AM
Received 21 Votes on 17 Posts
I've been using Hushmail.com for my personal E-mail service for about a year. It even has provisions for encryption if you so desire. Only downside that I can see is a limited amount of storage for the free version.

Old 12-12-14, 02:59 AM
I use all the major email applications (hotmail, yahoo, gmail, aol, and ISP based) and have been for many years. From my experience hotmail (or now called outlook) using the Windows Live Mail application is the best - simple to use and no ads. While they all have there advantages and disadvantages I still stay with Windows Live and hotmail.

I have gmail forward to my hotmail account but occasionally use a browser to access gmail. For me there are too many unnecessary options in gmail.

Yahoo is also good but too many ads flashing at you.

I access my ISP based email with the Windows Live Mail client so this is acceptable even though I don't like to be tied to an ISP.

Old 12-12-14, 05:18 AM
Just to throw out a couple thoughts...

I'm on several forums and at least one of them won't even accept members registering with ANY free email client--so do keep your ISP email up to date. Personally I don't like my ISP email (Comcast) and only go there about 1X per year to delete the 999,000 spam messages that accumulate.

As admin or moderator on a couple forums I've noticed a very lopsided number of spam accounts attempting to register with Gmail addresses. Probably means nothing to the typical user but I would wonder about their security if they're so popular with spammers.

My favorite is Hotmail. For some reason I have much more of a problem with trusted emails being filtered into my spam folder on my Yahoo account and that can be a problem if I bulk-delete them without noticing. Doesn't happen on Hotmail. Their spam filters work well and I don't get a lot of targeted advertising.

Old 12-12-14, 06:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I'm on several forums and at least one of them won't even accept members registering with ANY free email client
I thought that practice died out seven or eight years ago. It is also probably impractical. AT&T for instance no longer provide new users access to POP3 or Imap servers. They only provide Yahoo webmail. What does those forums do when an AT&T (Uverse) user wants to join?

Old 12-12-14, 07:26 AM
I'm not only using Gmail for four different personal email addresses, I also set it up for our company email. The integration of shared contacts and calendars is simply unbeatable, and it works on everyone's phones, including the boss's iPhone and one tech's Blackberry.

I have Hotmail and Yahoo addresses that I never check because they're always full of spam - Gmail's spam filtering has consistently been the most reliable by far (best at catching spam, best at NOT catching non-spam). The others may have improved over the last few years, but I have no issue with Gmail and thus no reason to switch.

Old 12-12-14, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator
Hmm, I also use Comcast as my ISP mail, and haven't had one spam mail come thru. Not sure why you're getting so many. I did however, have spam come thru when I was with Verizon.
I also use Hotmail on occasion, and haven't had any problems with them, either.

I always use my free emails when I join a forum, and haven't been turned down by any of them. I think Ray is correct, in that, that practice, must have died out years ago or no one would be joining forums today.

Old 12-12-14, 09:02 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Bud9051, The other set of problems are privacy problems. I never trusted Google & the lack of privacy was confirmed by Ed Snowden. That is not to say that any of them give you 100% privacy but Google had a direct line to the Feds & who knows who else? The only way to insure privacy is to encrypt emails between parties & even that is shaky.

Virus protection depends on you more than the email provider. Do not open attachments unless you requested them. It doesn't matter if you know the sender. What links you open also is up to you & not the email provider. I used Firefox with noscript & that's yet another topic.

Hedgeclippers, AOL would give the Feds whatever info that they wanted, long before Google was invented.

Old 12-12-14, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by Shadeladie
Hmm, I also use Comcast as my ISP mail, and haven't had one spam mail come thru.
You're either lucky or you've configured your spam filters. I haven't. Since Nov. 29 (last time I visited to take out the trash) I've received 49 messages in my Inbox--all spam. This for an account I have never sent a single message from or to. Zero messages in my Spam folder. I guess Comcast email isn't configured by default to filter anything.

Maybe Comcast has sold me to the Spam wolves and not you...?

Old 12-12-14, 03:26 PM
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Google: don't expect privacy when sending to Gmail

"Google policy is to get right up to the creepy line and not cross it." -- Eric Schmidt, Google's executive chairman

I automatically call it creepy (and beyond) when my mailman OR the post office says they think they have a right to snoop into what I'm sending beyond reading the recipient's address (which I deliberately have put on the outside for that purpose), or verifying the correct postage is paid. Anybody who thinks it's reasonable that any agent of the mail system should endeavor to learn anything more than that is off his nut.

Old 12-12-14, 05:39 PM
Temporarily Suspended
When you get spam, in your inbox, don't delete it. Click on more actions or right click on it & send it to the spam folder. Then you can delete it from there. By doing that, it tells your email client to automatically recognize that address as spam. Another way is to go into your settings. Each email client has different options but basically look for spam rules, black/white list or allow/deny. There you can mark various email or IP addresses as spam or totally block them.

Old 12-12-14, 11:07 PM
Pulpo I agree with you AOL is by no means perfect but then I don't believe any e-mail is perfect. They are much better now though than my ISP Verizon which for a long time kept spam out but no longer and as I remember they sent an e-mail out saying that they would allow trusted partners to send e-mails for things you might be interested in. So when they say trusted partners you know what that means spam here we come. Internet service is getting higher in price too but that is for another thread.

Old 12-13-14, 02:45 AM
I want to say thanks to all as I am following. Very good input.

@Norm "Even if you leave your DSL provider, your e-mail address should still be retained." I knew a phone number was portable, but did not know my current email address could be retained. Does this require me to register it somewhere or would the new service do that automatically?

Bud

Old 12-13-14, 03:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 102 Votes on 94 Posts
I had Netzero dial up for a long time .... until high speed became available. My new ISP provided a new email account but I still use my netzero email for most anything but personal emails. I didn't make any changes to keep my netzero email. I don't know if all email accounts are that way but that's my limited experience.

Old 12-13-14, 03:53 AM
Received 52 Votes on 50 Posts
@Norm "Even if you leave your DSL provider, your e-mail address should still be retained." I knew a phone number was portable, but did not know my current email address could be retained. Does this require me to register it somewhere or would the new service do that automatically?

Bud
It depends on the ISP. Most will let you're e-mail stay active. You shouldn't need to do anything. Just go to the DSL provider web site and go to e-mail and log in. As far as I know you have to manually closeout you're e-mail account to stop it from staying active. Do a Google on: Do e-mail accounts stay active when changing ISP's? Or just ask your ISP provider if leaving them eliminates you're e-mail account.

What I have done is forward all of my e-mail addresses to G-mail. That way I don't need to inform anybody of address change and I always have a back-up if need be. However I rarely save e-mails.

G-mail does a lot (too much as far as I'm concerned) but it is the most popular, but not the best. Just like MS Windows, not the best but the most popular. We're kind of forced into using it.

Old 12-13-14, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator
When I left Verizon, they wouldn't let me keep my email. It was shut down the same day they closed the account. So, check with them first, as not all emails will be retained.

Old 12-13-14, 05:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 40 Posts
I use Gmail and love it! I can access my mail from anyplace in the US and likely beyond. I also get zero spam that I see, it all goes in the spam folder. That is except the stuff I signed up for.

They do not "read" your email, they use crawlers to search through it for keywords so they know what to advertize to you. This site uses information you picked up from other sites (cookies) and info in the posts also to advertize as well. Why do you think that when there is a thread about water heaters there are advertizing on the side for water heaters? Gmail and DIY forum have to make money somehow.

Old 12-13-14, 07:36 AM
Pay to retain email

When I left Earthlink as my ISP for ATTUverse I didn't want to change my email address. I would have lost it when I switched ISPs but Earthlink will let you continue their email service for a fee - around $5 per month, discounted if you pay a year at a time. So that's what I've done, since I'm uncertain if I'll keep ATT Uverse for TV, phone and internet (package deal).

Old 12-13-14, 07:39 AM
What I have done is forward all of my e-mail addresses to G-mail. That way I don't need to inform anybody of address change and I always have a back-up if need be. However I rarely save e-mails.
If the ISP you're leaving discontinues your email account, that will discontinue forwarding as well - emails to the old address will either bounce back or just disappear into the void.

Old 12-13-14, 07:54 AM
My ISP is my local private telephone company, TDS.net so I suspect there would be no forwarding. In addition, forgive my ignorance, I'm not using them for storing my email. I think I'm using outlook express and thus my old email is here on my computer. If I change services will this at least allow me to continue or have access to my old.

In addition, my current email provider is making changes which are unrelated to my shopping for a new email service, but I though I would mention it as well. Here is their notice:
"Google’s decided to stop offering the partner version of Gmail, which TDS Email is currently based on. That means TDS must move all customer email accounts to a new system." I don't know what system they have selected.

My son does my pc work and will be stopping in soon to make the required adjustments. Darn I feel stupid these days.

Thanks,
Bud

Old 12-13-14, 08:05 AM
As long as you're using a local email client (rather than webmail) there's no reason all your old mail shouldn't stay on your computer.

Sounds like they've been using Gmail as their mail server, but Google is discontinuing that service, so they're either switching to another similar service (mail operated by someone else), or will be setting up their own email server.

Either way, if you're simply forwarded all your mail to a new Gmail address, you will probably have to set that forwarding up again on the new server, once it's implemented... whether you have to change settings on your client will depend on how they migrate to the new system, whether they can transfer over the login info.