Laptop died, can I repair or just replace

Old 12-14-14, 09:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Laptop died, can I repair or just replace

Hello, I had a barely year old Windows 7 laptop die recently. According to Geek Squad, the hard drive failed. They offered to replace hard drive and reinstall OS but I told them not to bother. I bought the laptop home and when I turn it on, the Dell screen pops up, and then spins forever. After a long time, I got a screen that pops up which says "your PC couldn't start properly. A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed. Error code 0Xc000000f". It then tells me to use "recovery tools" which I don't have. It also gives me the options to press enter to try again, press f8 for start up settings, or press esc for UEFI firmware settings.

My questions are--since I get this screen come up eventually, is it salvageable? I've seen online some alternatives to repair the OS if you don't have the recovery disc, I don't know if they are legitimate or not. There is a charge for these.

If not, is it more cost effective to get a new hard drive and a new version of Windows, or just buy a new laptop? Geek Squad was able to retrieve about 70% of the files on the laptop so I'm ok with just getting a new one but if there's anyway to save this one and spend less $$$ I'd prefer to do that. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-14, 09:32 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Way back in the days of Win 95 had a friend that whenever her computer acted up took it to a place similar to Geeksquad. Every time they told her the hard drive needed to be replaced. It didn't matter the problem. One time after three trips and each time saying something similar she asked me for help and I found it was her monitor. No, I'm not saying that is your problem I'm just saying some companies don't try to really troubleshoot. Take it to one or two small independent repair places, don't mention Geeksquad or what they said. See what they say the problem is.

Have you checked with the manufacturer to see if you can get a free replacement copy of Windows?

Old 12-14-14, 09:34 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I searched that error code in Google & it appears that there is a problem with the boot sector. Window 7 should already have recovery partition, on the drive. It should be accessible through F11 or F12, depending on the make & model. Tap F11 when you start the machine. See if you can access the recovery partition. If that doesn't work, try F12 or Goolge recovery partition with the make & model of your machine.

If in fact, the Geeks are correct & the actual drive is damaged at the boot sector, the recovery partition won't help. It's certainly worth a shot. Try the recovery first & we'll take it from there.

Old 12-14-14, 07:33 PM
I do wish I had gone to an independent repair place as opposed to Geek Squad and next time that is what I will do. Lesson learned. Anyway, as Pulpo suggested, I tried F11 at start up but nothing happened. I got the screen I referenced above again, which gave me the option of pressing F8 for start up settings. I tried that and got a long list of 10 or so different options. I selected "start in safe mode", and I got a similar screen which said the PC couldn't start properly. This time, however, it referenced the following:

The operating system couldn't be located because a critical system driver is missing or contains errors.

File:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\sdbus.sys

Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Old 12-14-14, 07:40 PM
Temporarily Suspended
The sys file is corrupt. I'm 99% sure that there is a recovery partition, on your laptop. Google how to access it. What is the make & model of your machine?

Old 12-14-14, 08:36 PM
Received 15 Votes on 12 Posts
I rarely see hard drives die in the altogether and all at once. The majority of the time, you'll see a gradual and progressive slowing of the system as more and more sectors go bad and it takes the seek heads longer and longer to find good real estate to write to. Your problem does not sound like a physical HDD ailment to me.

I have few kind words for Micro$loth but the Windoze 7 system repair disk, in my experience, is nothing short of miraculous. Instructions on how to make one are here. Unfortunately (for you), you need an operating Win7 OS to create it. But if you have a friend/acquaintance who has one, with a CD burner, you're in bidness.

My Win7 PC poops the bed every few months. All I usually have to do to get it running is to boot off the repair CD. In fact, I did so just this past week. I don't do anything else, just boot off the CD. Apparently the CD looks around, says ,"Oh, this over hyar is busted," and fixes it, without any further action on my part. I've even seen it work on Win8, using a Win7 repair CD.

If you create this repair CD, and it works the first time, be sure to hang on to it, 'cuz it's certain you'll need it again.

Last edited by Fred_C_Dobbs; 12-14-14 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-14-14, 10:51 PM
Good advice Fred but brianmcgann will also need a windows 7 disk if that is what he has. Brian I just want to make sure of something you said you had a message that said UEFI? Windows 7 will work fine on a laptop like that but usually Windows 8 was installed unless you made a request for Windows 7? That is something I am uncertain of and it will help us to better diagnose your problem and hopefully come up with a solution. If you have Windows 7 but don't have the disk don't worry I know of a legal way to download a copy I just need confirmation.

Old 12-15-14, 06:43 PM
Yup, it's Windows 7. And no, I didn't request it specifically. Thanks for the other replies everyone, I'm going to see if I can figure something else out. More to come...

Old 12-15-14, 06:55 PM
It's a Dell Inspiron 17r. I'm not having any luck finding information on the recovery partition.

Old 12-15-14, 07:21 PM
So...I started up the laptop and immediately hit the F8 key. That brought up the screen I referenced before. One of the options was the UEFI that was referenced earlier. I selected that and somehow wound up in a Dell Pre-Boot System Assessment, which ran a series of test. The error message that ultimately came up was Error code 2000 0142. I've done quite a bit of Googling and haven't come up with much, other than it means the hard drive is dead. Any thoughts on this? Thank you!

Old 12-15-14, 07:35 PM
Looking at your laptops specifications now that I have your model number apparently you laptop came with either Windows 8 on it or windows 7. Nothing really surprising about that as there have been many complaints about Windows 8. Dell does have its own diagnostics and usually they are preinstalled but the program could have been uninstalled. Your laptop isn't all that old either maybe you could still get support from Dell. If you would like to run the diagnostic here is the link to Dell's diagnostic page Product Support | Dell US

The other test I mentioned will definitely tell you if the hard drive is dead or not. If it is and is no longer under warranty then don't buy a replacement from Dell it will cost way too much. Do you have the Windows 7 disk?

Old 12-15-14, 09:00 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
A new hard drive would be less then $50. A disk like this on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Restore-Repa...item27f3373d60 could get you up and running on the new hard drive for another $10. The fun part is getting the laptop apart. Or I could be wrong. I'm sure Pulpo or Hedgeclipper will correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 12-15-14, 09:36 PM
Temporarily Suspended
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI2xkxsODjo

Follow that video for the recovery partition.

Old 12-16-14, 12:54 AM
Pulpo I am not sure that what that video shows will actually work since it is Windows 7 but with UEFI instead of the regular bios it just might at that. So I suggest yet another link if Pulpos link is not helpful here it is How To Perform A Dell Inspiron Recovery . All I can say is that I tried what was shown on the video with my older Inspiron and it didn't work. So now you have two possible solutions. If my solution works you will see a drop down list that will say Home Group and you drop down to your user name let's say your name is John find John and then type in your password.

You are looking for Dell Data Safe I knew some of this but had forgotten some of it so I had to look it up. I have had some problems where a repair of windows was in order but I haven't done it in a while. This will work though but it might wipe some things away according to things I have read so make sure you back up your important stuff before doing the repair. If Dell Data Safe was removed then just do a repair of Windows. You might be prompted for the Windows 7 disk and you will need to write down the license usually found now in the battery compartment.

As for replacing the hard drive they are a bear to replace at least on my Inspiron and you need to remove all of the screws from the bottom of the laptop. On my Inspiron it is located at the very front of the laptop and you have to very carefully lift the top and then gently get your hand around the hard drive and pull it out. I just recently replaced a 350GB hd with a 1TBhd so I know they can take a drive that big. I found a YouTube video once about replacing the hd and it helped but this guy was more experienced with the newer models. So I hope you can keep the hd.

Old 12-16-14, 06:57 PM
Regarding the first video, I happened to find that one last night and watched it. Unfortunately, I'm not able to get that far in the process to try that. I don't get to the log in screen. The farthest I get is the Dell logo and nothing beyond that, no matter how long I wait. As for option 2, I try pressing F8 when the Dell logo appears and after a minute or so I get a blue screen with Startup Settings at the top and the following options:

1. Enable debugging
2. Enable boot logging
3. Enable low resolution video
4. Enable safe mode
5. Enable safe mode with networking
6. Enable safe mode with command prompt
7. Disable driver signature enforcement
8. Disable early launch anti-malware protection
9. Disable automatic restart after failure

I don't know which one to pick I tried #1 and I now see the Dell logo and I'm just waiting to see if anything happens.

Old 12-16-14, 07:34 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Nothing in that list will take you to the recovery partition. Hold the ctrl key & press F11. See if that works. If that doesn't work, hold the shift key when you restart.