Hard drive backup/copying ...?

Old 12-21-14, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hard drive backup/copying ...?

My hard drive makes strange noises at times - I suspect it is dying !
Before it does, can I copy it's contents to a CD or memory stick or ... so that when I do replace it (I believe the new hard drive will be a "blank slate"), I can then copy/install all of the info from the "old" to the "new". Please be gentle - I am 69yo and not a techie by any means.
thank you in advance for any help/suggestions ...
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-14, 10:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Buy a Western Digital Passport or other back up media, hook it up to a USB port and tell it to clone your hard drive. I do that as a general back up once a month. Auction sites as well as computer stores have them. Not expensive, considering your data. No worries, the software is pretty self explanatory.

Old 12-21-14, 11:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 235 Posts
I got a twin pack of portable hard drives from Costco. I use one for backing up my PC and the other for my Mac laptop. The drives came with software that made backing up the PC very easy. But, these backup copies are not mirror images of the original drive so things like the computer's operating system would have to be re-installed if I ever got a new drive in the computer. For me the important part is saving my pictures and other personal stuff.

Old 12-21-14, 11:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
You can buy an external hard drive, or a standard internal hard drive and an external enclosure (Enclosure not required if you just want to get some cables), then you can mirror your old drive to the new drive using software from the HD manufacturer. This will make an exact copy of your existing drive, OS and all. However, it will only mirror the HD state when it happens so anything done after the mirror will not be on the new drive.

I can offer some part suggestions but I will need more info about your system.

Old 12-21-14, 12:50 PM
Hi Bob,
I recommend that you buy an external hard drive (just like a usb, but massive).
Buy one depending on the size of your harddrive, if you need help finding out the size of your harddrive, just tell me and i will help you out.

After you buy an external harddrive, download this:
Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download

(free cloning software) and follow the easy instructions to clone your harddrive.
NOTE:
It will ask you where to put the clone file of your harddrive to, you need to select your external hdd in that.

Tell me if you need more help, or if it gets too tough and you need to be somewhere, I can remote access your computer (control it from my place) and do it all for you for free.

Old 12-21-14, 12:52 PM
I agree with all of the advice so far. There is third party software like a program called Macrium Reflect but I suggest you steer clear of that. You can clone your entire disk with Macrium Reflect or similar programs but if you don't really understand the program and I admit I don't you end up spending hours to copy everything and then you realize you still don't have enough disks. Speaking of disks though you can save a great deal of photos on one DVD-R disk using your burner software so while an external disk is ideal if you don't have one then disks are your next best option.

I personally wouldn't try to save everything like your programs as you can always get those back on using installation disks and what isn't on disk can sometimes be downloaded for free from the internet. So instead concentrate just on your files,Photos and any music you might have in that order of priority so that you get the most important things before your hard drive crashes. Once they start making a great deal of noise speed and efficiency are extremely important.

Old 12-21-14, 02:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Richard, c'mon, now. Even I understand Macrum Reflect and I'm just a knuckle dragging nail driver. I just have it clone over my previous installation. Since everything else is on disks or on thumb drives, it is archived anyway. I only want my computer hard drive saved in case of, well, you know.

Bob, I know MaskedSolder means well, but this early in the game, do it yourself. I trust remote access like I trust my neighbor with my tools.

Old 12-21-14, 04:08 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
you just want to get some cables)
Just looking at those on Amazon. Based on the reviews at least 20% of every one they sell has a faulty power supply that either bursts in to flames or fries the hard drive.

Just download Redo Backup Bare Metal Restore Solution GUI Backup Open Source GPL Recovery which does a bare-metal restore (see: Bare-metal restore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Burned but haven't tried it yet. Is supposed to be very easy. Best of all it is free and OS agnostic.

Old 12-21-14, 04:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
This is the one I have and never had an issue, pretty good reviews too:

Kingwin EZ-Connect USB to SATA/IDE Adapter USI-2535 - Micro Center

Old 12-21-14, 06:21 PM
@chandler
Yeah,
well I guess your right, its not That desperate or deep into the problem.

Just tell us later if you need any help Bob.
We're always there.

Old 12-21-14, 07:09 PM
Richard, c'mon, now. Even I understand Macrum Reflect and I'm just a knuckle dragging nail driver.
I always have said Larry that there are some things about computers I just don't understand and Macrium Reflect is one of them. I am not knocking the program but think there may be easier programs out there. So far I like what Ray2047 showed it just seems simpler and easier for a knuckle head like me to use. I have actually even done something like what Ray's program would do and that is a network backup of another computers files, photos and music. So if my hard drive crashes on my desktop I have a backup on my laptop.

My laptop a Dell Inspiron M5030 has a 1TB hard drive just like my office desktop so there is plenty of room for storage. I don't have every single file on the laptop yet but soon I will as well as some of the programs too.

Old 12-22-14, 11:03 AM
Thank you sincerely ... I will keep your offer in mind ...

Old 12-22-14, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the information and the offer ... much appreciated ...