virus blocking internet access including wired connection

Old 12-21-14, 03:53 PM
virus blocking internet access including wired connection

Cannot access internet even when directly connected to modem.

I receive a message at startup that windows cannot connect to system event notification services. users cannot logon . When I checked services it is perpetually stuck in starting mode, but never starts.

windows 7 on older dell laptop (about 10 years old).

tried many suggested fixes from google searches but nothing has worked.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-14, 04:04 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I never install win 7 on old hardware but that's another story. As soon as you start the machine, tap F8 as many times as you can, without being frantic about it. If you get to the menu, choose safe mode with networking. If you are able to login at that point, run msconfig from the run box when you click the globe, on the bottom left hand corner. Type msconfig & press enter. Go to the startup tab & disable all, click apply, ok & restart. Click ok again & try to download anti malware from malwarebytes.org
Download the free version & uncheck the free trial offer. Install, update & run it. Quarantine whatver it found. Let us know what happened.

Old 12-21-14, 06:13 PM
sorry forgot to say I have already run malware bytes and what it found did not fix the problem. Subsequent scans have found nothing.

Old 12-21-14, 06:29 PM
I agree with what you say Pulpo however I think the best thing that can be done is to download Malwarebytes and have the installer go to a USB stick from another computer and then install it on the suspect computer. After this is updated on the suspect computer then turn off networking and run the scan. Keeping the network off keeps the malware from calling home to report on what is happening and protects other devices. If Malwarebytes doesn't do the trick try SuperAntiSpyware. I will give you links to both programs.

Here is the link for Malwarebytes Malwarebytes | Free Anti-Malware & Internet Security Software . Now here is the link for SuperAntiSpyware SUPERAntiSpyware | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware! . Notice both have a free and a paid version, I never use the paid version always just the free version as there is no need for the paid version.

Old 12-21-14, 06:32 PM
sorry forgot to say I have already run malware bytes and what it found did not fix the problem. Subsequent scans have found nothing.
Try it again without networking and if that doesn't work try SuperAntiSpyware if one program doesn't find anything the other usually will.

Old 12-21-14, 08:35 PM
tried both methods with no luck. Can't even get internet in safe mode. Should I be able to?

Old 12-21-14, 11:11 PM
No you can't get the internet in safe mode only the operating system can go into safe mode. So then neither program found anything? If either one did they usually but not always auto delete the malware. It just depends on what other programs it attaches itself too. The anti malware programs try to separate the good programs from the bad but sometimes call for the user of the program to make the ultimate decision. Also some malware is very good at hiding but you can put a spot light on it.

The ultimate spotlight is HijackThis but be forewarned HijackThis can damage your computers operating system and its files. So please wait for me and Pulpo to look over the log that HijackThis makes and that you can post here. Of the two of us Pulpo is more experienced but I have used HijackThis a few times myself so see what we both have to say and then you make the ultimate decision. I will not guarantee that nothing can go wrong and neither I suspect will Pulpo but HijackThis is the very ultimate tool it just is a more advanced tool.

So now that you have been warned I give you the official download website of HijackThis http://solutionfile.trendmicro.com/s...ML/Hijack.html . This tool is so good it tells us what drivers are on your computer and that is really important for remote diagnosis. Pulpo also made a good point about the age of the computer and the operating system so it might not be a virus at all it might be something that became corrupted because of the age of the hdd. Of course we can't do a real diagnosis of an hdd remotely but can see certain signs of a failing hdd.

Not saying though that your hdd is failing maybe and maybe not as I don't have any knowledge of whether it was ever replaced. But I will be able to see network drivers and I am familiar with some of the brands of network cards. They are either integrated with the motherboard or are separate and on a card. So try HijackThis get it to generate a report only and then post it. Doing anything else without prior knowledge could damage your computer further. Only do it though if you feel comfortable doing it. If you need instructions on how to generate a report I can tell you.

Old 12-22-14, 03:54 AM
If you start Windows in "Safe Mode With Networking" you should be able to do basic tests to see if it is connected to the network. Open a Command window (go to Start/Run and type cmd and Enter), type ipconfig /all (space between the g and the slash) and hit Enter. You should see the IP address of the machine. If not, something is stopping it from connecting to the router.

Old 12-22-14, 04:55 AM
I just recovered from something quite similar just last week, as I reported on another thread entitled something like " I lost my local wireless signal".

I'm not sure; but something turned off my "radio" in the configuration settings for that particular connection. I certainly didn't turn it off !

Running my various anti-malware and anti-spyware programs didn't turn it back on . . . . I had to do that manually as I described in that thread.

And noteworthy as it may or may not be, my problem also involved a Dell machine of approximately the same vintage.

Old 12-22-14, 07:55 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Stumped1 did you updater malwarebytes before you ran it? That's a must. Yes, you should be able to get internet in safe mode unless the virus was written to run in safe mode. Hijack This is a great program but is useless in safe mode. Try to get Combo Fix on a USB or CD & run it. That should work in safe mode.

Old 12-23-14, 06:59 PM
I was able to update Malware Bytes by downloading the update on another laptop using a thumb drive. Scan found 1267 pups but no virus/malware. Continuing to scan but not finding anything new.

Combo fix will not download on either of the two other laptops we have. One is running windows 8.1 (not supported) and the other Windows 7 Home, both attempts failed.

Old 12-23-14, 08:47 PM
Did you make sure the PUPS(Potentially Unwanted Programs) were deleted? I haven't used Malwarebytes in a while and I know some programs don't automatically remove malware. Sometimes a PUP is actually a virus but an unclassified one so it is best to go over the list and then remove programs you don't recognize. If Combo Fix will not work then I suggest you use HiJackThis from the link I gave you and Pulpo is correct in saying you need to use it with the network running and all processes.

Combofix though should work from what I have read but only if you follow the directions exactly here is a link to their official page ComboFix | freeware . If it were me I would definitely put this on a flash drive and then run it off of that since you are having internet problems with that computer. I have never used this before but have heard good things about it.

Old 12-23-14, 09:24 PM
I remove everything MBAM found. I just reread Rick's suggestion. This is what is displayed:

IP routing enabled: No
WINS Proxy Enabled : No
Media state: Media disconnected.
Connection specific DNS suffix: blank
Description: Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3
Physical Address: 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
dhcp enabled: No
Autoconfiguration enabled: Yes

This is repeated with adapter #4 and Adapter #6

I have attempted to change the LAN Adapter settings. I can change the setting to automatically detect settings, but it won't let me select the OK tab. I think virus/malware has blocked these settings from being changed.

Will try combofix one more time.

Old 12-23-14, 10:59 PM
try system restore to solve the problem

Old 12-23-14, 11:03 PM
Tried system restore. Says no restore points available.

Old 12-23-14, 11:07 PM
combofix website has some pretty frightening warnings about doing permanent damage to PC, and the download requires internet to install

Old 12-23-14, 11:41 PM
Yes that is true I read the same things and I am not the one to guide you as I have never used it before. However if you are willing to wait a while I can guide you in how to do a repair of Windows. Right now the laptop I am on needs a recharge but I can get right back to trying to help you once I do a few things and see about getting this charged. You will need the Windows 7 disc but if you don't have one never fear I know of a legal place where you can download Windows. So give me about 30 minutes and I will be right back.

Old 12-24-14, 01:04 AM
O.k. I am back first let me say that doing a repair of Windows may possibly remove the drivers for your network card as basically you will be doing somewhat of a roll back of Windows and something like a system restore but better. So you will need to find your drivers disk and with a Dell laptop that old with Windows 7 on it I am thinking that those are not the standard drivers for that laptop which can cause problems but we will give it a shot if you are willing and see if we can repair windows. Don't worry about the virus right now it may have been removed but left damage to the driver.

What you will be doing is going into system recovery of your hard disk you need to press F8 before Windows starts and look for recovery. Then there are various options which take a while to explain so I am sending you to the Microsoft website that gives very clear step by step instructions on how to go about each recovery step. I personally would start with Start up repair and then go to system image recovery if that doesn't work. Here is the link to the article What are the system recovery options in Windows? - Windows Help.

Start up repair should do it though as one of the first things that wakes up when Windows starts is your network. This is all assuming that you have your original installation disk and if you don't as I said I can help you with a legal downloaded copy that comes from Digital River a company that Microsoft contracts with. Just let me know if you need a copy.

Old 12-24-14, 06:53 AM
Temporarily Suspended
You still haven't tried msconfig. Go back into safe mode with networking. For msconfig, it doesn't matter if you have internet or not, although I think that you should have it. So, run msconfig, Go to the startup tab & click disable all, click apply, click ok & restart. Then click ok again. That should at least stop the virus from loading into memory at boot time. We'll take it from there.

Old 12-24-14, 12:01 PM
I have done msconfig. I may not have selected disable all. I will try again.

tried again. still no internet.

I will look in the garage for the windows 7 disc and do a repair install.

Last edited by Stumped1; 12-24-14 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-24-14, 01:06 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Did you try "disable all" the second time? If you did & it still didn't work, go back into safe mode & run regedit That will open the registry editor. Click on the following + signs.
HKEY_Local_Machine
Software
Microsoft
Windows
CurrentVersion
Then open the Run folder.
Look for any things that don't belong. Right click on them & left click on delete. If you're not sure, tell me what's there. Also click on the RunOnce folder. Anything in there is suspicious.

Do the same thing in HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

Old 12-24-14, 01:58 PM
Did as you said and removed a file from an old printer we no longer have and some adaware antivirus files.
Still no change. Device manager shows the network controller is missing. I have reinstalled the driver twice and it disappears again.

Let me try the repair disk (assuming I can find it) and see what happens.

Thanks.

Old 12-24-14, 02:04 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Ok, let me know how it goes.

Old 12-24-14, 03:21 PM
no luck finding the windows 7 disk. I did find windows xp home. Can this be installed without affecting what is already on the PC?

I don't really mind that it is no longer supported, this is a secondary laptop. Just don't want the virus to corrupt anything. I need to get it running so I can move everything to a remote hard drive.

Old 12-24-14, 03:25 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I wouldn't install XP Home. There is no reason why we can't get rid of the virus. Look at the registry keys that I mentioned. At one time, almost all viruses were run from those keys. There is still a chance that it's there.

Old 12-24-14, 03:49 PM
Checked those registry areas and found only normal files. Looked them up to be sure.

Old 12-24-14, 03:52 PM
Santa is calling. Will get back on this in a couple days.
Thanks for all the help.

Old 12-24-14, 04:41 PM
I understand you don't want to work on this on Christmas eve I don't blame you. I made a promise to you though that I would help you download a legal copy of Windows 7. There are two ways you can either do an install or a repair of Windows one way is using a USB flash drive and the other using a DVD-R. I personally prefer the DVD-R but if you have a flash drive that is big enough and at least 4GB or bigger you can do it either way.

For whichever way you do this you will need to read instructions from the PCWorld website and you will need to download the proper version of Windows. Here is the link to their website How to Install Windows 7 Without the Disc | PCWorld . You also need the license key off of the bottom of your computer or it may be in the battery compartment. You don't need it right now but will need it later so wright it down. You will read about Magical Jelly Bean just ignore that the license key you would find with that will not work.

I have used Magical Jelly Bean before so I write from experience. The rest of the PC World article is fine though and everything will work great. The Windows operating system is what is collectively called an ISO so you can't use a regular burner program as most can't make ISO disks. PcWorld mentions a program but I have a favorite and it has worked for me every time and it is called ISO recorder and is free software here is a link to it ISO Recorder.

Download and install ISO Recorder and then download the ISO for your version of Windows and remember the versions must match. If they don't you will not be able to use the license. Most likely the ISO file will go to your downloads folder insert a blank DVD-R into your DVD burner and then right click the ISO and go to open with and you will see ISO Recorder. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen for ISO Recorder and you now have a legal version of Windows. Just make sure you mark it so you can find it again.

Old 12-24-14, 07:50 PM
Will this affect files on the laptop?

Old 12-24-14, 07:59 PM
Disregard previous entry read article too fast

Old 12-24-14, 11:15 PM
A repair of windows shouldn't affect files however it may affect the drivers as I stated before. My hope is that the repair process will leave your drivers intact but there is no guarantee of that. Also while it says it will not affect files many technicians will say it doesn't hurt to back up your files. So it is up to you and what you think is best. Just a start up repair shouldn't cause problems but an image repair might. So try a minimal repair first and then go to a more advanced repair if necessary. With computer repairs I have found little steps are better than one giant leap.

Old 12-24-14, 11:31 PM
Made the Windows 7 system disk. Copying files from laptop to external drive. After this is finished I will attempt the Windows 7 install.

Old 12-25-14, 05:33 PM
When booting up from the DVD-R disc it starts the setup but I get an error message "A required CD/DVD device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now."

I followed the steps from the article, and burned the ISO file as instructed.

Old 12-25-14, 08:32 PM
Temporarily Suspended
It sounds like you are using an external DVD drive. If that's the case, some sites say to try a different USB port or disable USB3 in the BIOS.

Old 12-25-14, 09:07 PM
Group Moderator
Also set the write speed at the lowest setting, usually 4. Though it may just superstition I don't do anything on the computer till the disk is written.

Old 12-26-14, 02:00 AM
The download you have of Windows might possibly be corrupted or as Ray said it might have been burned too fast for the disk. I was thinking some of those same things and thought I would look up the error message and found a Microsoft website that explains what the error message means and how to check the media for errors. Microsoft has a tool you download so you can check the ISO. Here is a link to their website "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing" or "A media driver your computer needs is missing" error message when you install Windows. I have had bad connections before and an ISO file became corrupted. Best time to download those is at night when internet traffic is low.

Old 12-26-14, 07:01 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I searched for the exact error message not a description of it. Always search the error message as you saw it on the screen. Chances are that you are not the first person to have it. If that doesn't tell you what you need to know, then take the next step & search for a description of problem.

The problem is that an external drive appears to the PC, to be USB 3 when USB 2 is needed. Either you need to use a USB 2.0 port or disable USB 3.0 in the BIOS. There are a few ways to fix it. One is to try another port, on your machine. If it's a USB 2.0 port, the install will run.

Windows 7 Install Errors – CD/DVD Driver is Really USB3 | IT Xpress Fixed It!

A quote from that site ^^ is "Note you will need to disable the USB 3.0 functionality of the USB ports otherwise the Windows 7 install will crash as Windows 7 has no native support for USB 3.0."

Another way is to download a USB tool from MS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuC83DEdwu0

Old 12-26-14, 09:45 AM
I'm back online and sending this message from the laptop with a fresh install of Windows 7 Home!

After searching I found out that the burn speed makes a difference. I had to reburn the ISO file with a different program and reinstall drivers from the Dell support page.

Thanks for all the help this website is awesome!

Old 12-26-14, 10:44 AM
Group Moderator
Glad you got it. Thanks for letting us know.

When you have burned as many ISOs as a Linux user has burn speed is burned into your brain.

Old 12-26-14, 11:25 AM
Glad you got it. Thanks for letting us know.

When you have burned as many ISOs as a Linux user has burn speed is burned into your brain
I agree with you Ray I haven't been using Linux as long as you have but I know that using certain burn software such as ISO Recorder really makes a big difference as it burns the disk at just the right speed. I don't know how many I have burned and some of them have turned out bad. A Windows disk usually takes about an hour to download and Linux is shorter as it doesn't have as much bloat. But if you have programs that need Windows like Turbotax that you install you need Windows.