Can't get online

Old 12-27-14, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can't get online

My parents have a Dell laptop which is less than a year old. Today they can't get online. My brother, who I think is fairly tech savvy has been trying to help them but is now stumped. I live in another town but thought I'd see if any of you might recognize the problem.

It has an external DSL modum and a router. Other devices he has connected either with or w/o the router get online no problem so the problem is not w/the modem, router or ISP. He has done all the things you are supposed to do: turned everything off/on. Disconnected/connected cables, tried it with & w/o the router, changed cables (tho these cables worked w/other devices).

All the other software works (Word, Excel, etc). When he clicks on Internet Explorer the window opens and the circle in the upper left corner just keeps going around. No matter how long he waits none of the usual messages come up; the circle just keeps circling. The device manager says the network card is OK. The computer says it is connected to the internet. He has tried going thru DOS and "pinging" websites and nothing at all comes back. It seems it is not communicating at all.

So we are hoping someone might know: is it software or hardware?
Any ideas?

Thanks!
June

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-14, 04:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,192 Votes on 1,103 Posts
Just to confirm.... this is plugged into the network..... not wireless ?

Old 12-27-14, 04:46 PM
He's tried every way he can think of. The modem used to be plugged into the router then the router plugged into the laptop. They never move the laptop but wanted a router for their Kindles. My brother has tried it with or w/o the router, and with the router he's tried it plugged into the laptop or not. All of these combos work w/other devices.

Old 12-27-14, 04:49 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It the modem & router are separate devices, connect the laptop directly to the modem. Since he know how to run commands from the command prompt, run ipconfig If he gets anything other than a 169.254.x.x address, that would mean he has a connection. At that point, try to ping google.com again & see what happens. If all that works, reconnect the router & try ipconfig & the pings again.
What are the makes & models of the modem & router?

Old 12-27-14, 05:03 PM
Thanks - I'm passing this on to him.

Old 12-27-14, 05:34 PM
The modem is a speedstream and the router is a Belkin N300 N+. He has tried ipconfig then changed the ip address. He's going over there again this evening and will try your suggestion.

Old 12-28-14, 07:53 AM
Success!

My brother messed around more, tried what Pulpo suggested; nothing worked. As a last resort he did a system restore and that worked. Still don't know what was wrong but they're online again. Thanks!
June

Old 12-28-14, 12:00 PM
D
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I had a similar problem with my win vista, could not get online (wired ethernet to router/network switch and no luck) I went online with a laptop (win 7)

things I did, reset browser, disc cleanup, all accept safe mode or antivirus scan, went onto the microsoft social (forums about servers and OS's) and found people talking about similar situations and seen about the .NET updates and resetting the IP address.

what did the trick for me, reset IP address in command prompt for the Vista desktop, restarted and now all works fine,

good luck,

Old 12-28-14, 08:19 PM
H
I am glad your problem was solved and coincidentally I lost my wifi on my Dell Laptop this morning. I had left my laptop on all night and fell asleep with it on. So hard to say why I had no wifi maybe I accidentally turned it off by touching the Fn key and F2 which will turn wifi off or on or it just dropped the signal which happens from time to time on any laptop. So I used the Windows procedure for Windows 7 I am thinking though that your parents laptop has Windows 8.1 which is done slightly differently. Here is a link for future reference you might want to print How do I fix network adapter problems? - Windows Help

Old 12-28-14, 08:45 PM
They do have Windows 8 which has been a big hassle. Seems to work pretty well now but I know my brother spent hours getting it so my parents could use it OK. I'll pass this link on to them. Thanks,
June

Old 12-28-14, 09:08 PM
H
You are welcome I ran out of space to mention this and didn't want to add on to my post at the time. Anyway on that link if you are running Windows 7 Microsoft assumes you have a question about Windows 7. At the right hand corner you will see a tiny little box where you can change the instructions. At first I thought I had Windows 8 instructions but realized it was for Windows 7 and then I noticed the box. Just thought I would mention that as it can be confusing otherwise. I never have seen the appeal of Windows 8 but Windows 10 looks o.k. at least so far in the early test stage.

Old 12-29-14, 08:47 AM
Ah - interesting. I'll pass this on as well. It's my brother who helps them w/their laptop since he lives in town. We both are still hanging on to our Windows 7 for as long as we can.