Is a 'wireless' wireless AP possible

Old 12-28-14, 09:23 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is a 'wireless' wireless AP possible

Hi, I have my DSL router in the master bedroom and cannot move it to any other room in the house. I want to set up an access point in my living room. However, I don't want to connect the two via ethernet. Is it possible to have an access point where the router and AP can communicate sans ethernet cable? If so, is there a special piece of hardware I need to purchase?

I currently have a Motorola 3347 in use through Century Link. I have a Netgear WNR2000v3 laying around that I was hoping to use as the AP, but I don't think it's possible without connecting via ethernet.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-14, 09:29 AM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Unless I'm missing something, why don't you hook up wi fi to your router and have wireless access throughout your house.

Old 12-28-14, 09:43 AM
G
I'm already doing that, but I basically want to connect my XBox 360 to my network, but cannot because the XBox is downstairs and the router is upstairs. I don't have a wireless adapter for the xbox. I have a spare router so I was trying to find a solution using existing hardware.

Old 12-28-14, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
I set my netgear WNR2000v3 that I have down stairs to a wnr ext up stairs and plug my x box into that.

Old 12-28-14, 10:12 AM
G
Lawrosa, can you please be more specific? What is a wnr ext?

Old 12-28-14, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
The wnr2000 can be used as a repeater. Its in the software. I can screen shot that as I did not find doc online. You need to put the mac address of the motorola I believe.

But instead of me buying another wnr2000 i bought the ext..

WN2000RPT | WiFi Range Extenders | Networking | Home | NETGEAR

Old 12-28-14, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator
If you go into the wnr 2000 software you will see the repeater option..

Enable it and put the mac address of the motorola as the base station..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43942[/ATTACH]

But there is criteria. This is for a similar netgear product and dont know specifics for the v3..

he following conditions must be met for all access points including the WNR834Bv2 router:

All AP devices must use the same SSID, wireless channel, authentication mode (if any), and encryption mode.
The Repeating feature on the WNR834Bv2 will work only with no security, WEP and WPA-PSK (TKIP). Currently it will not function with WPA2-PSK (AES).
All APs must be on the same LAN IP subnet. That is, all the AP LAN IP addresses are in the same network.
All LAN devices (wired and wireless PCs in the above diagram) must be configured to operate in the same LAN network address range as the APs.
If you are using the WNR834Bv2 as your Repeater, you will need to use the IP address that you have assigned to the unit if you want to access its administrative GUI. You can no longer access the administrative GUI by its default LAN IP address.
The repeaters must be positioned in a spot where they detect the wireless signal from Router. Not more than 30metres is suggested, but this depends on number of walls, wall thickness and material, and specifics of the location. Further details here.

Attached Images  
Old 12-28-14, 12:43 PM
G
Ah, thanks, I looked into that but using it as a repeater won't work right? It just boosts the signal. I would still have to connect the modem and repeater with ethernet right?

Old 12-28-14, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator
It should work, You enable the repeater function that put the mac address of the motorola where is says base station mac address as shown below.

This will repeat the wireless signal from Motorola to netgear. Put the netgear by the x box and plug the x box into one of the orange ports of the netgear.

You should have internet access at the x box.

Your best off doing live chat with netgear..

NETGEAR Support | Contact Support

Old 12-28-14, 01:40 PM
G
Thanks, I'll give it a try. Do I have to change any settings on the base? It's a Motorola 3347. It has an option for bridged mode but wasn't sure if it was necessary.

Old 12-28-14, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator
Here is what it says on my V3 netgear.
Im trying to find info on the motorola. You dont use bridge mode.

I believe the ssid's need to be the same.

The wep keys may need to be the same too.

You will need to know the motorolas mac address to input it into the netgear.

Wireless Repeater.

In this mode, the router will communicate only with another Base Station-mode wireless station. You must enter the MAC address (physical address) of the other Base Station-mode wireless station in the field provided. WEP can (and should) be used to protect this communication.

Old 12-28-14, 03:47 PM
G
I set up the Netgear router as the repeater, entered an IP address within the range of the Motorola router (192.168.0.100), disabled DHCP, changed the security on the Motorola to WEP, made sure they both were on the same channel and had the same SSID.

Now, some of my devices can connect to wifi (laptop, cell phone) but others can't) ipad, smart tv. This is frustrating.

Old 12-28-14, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator
Are they connecting through the netgear or the motorola?

Old 12-28-14, 05:02 PM
G
Hmm, I'm not really sure. I'll look into more tomorrow and send a reply. Thanks.

Old 12-28-14, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator
Its frustrating I know. Its trial and error somewhat. Possibly bridging is an option from the motorola... Dont know... Heck im a plumber... LOL..

Just trying to help since I have that router.

Like I said though the V3 is my main router. The netgear ext I bought is just that, an extender.

Maybe motorola has an extender for your main router that will work more flawlessly...??/ Again netgear live chat may help more then I can...

Old 12-28-14, 06:50 PM
I bought a device from D-Link that plugs into your house wiring and allows you to get full modem speed throughout your house and it was only about $50.

Old 12-29-14, 02:48 PM
G
Hi, I tried again today - set both SSIDs, channel, passwords, security (WEP) the same, disabled DHCP on repeater. Base station is 192.168.0.1, repeater is 192.168.0.100. I only saw 1 instance of the wireless network and had limited connection (no internet). Could not access either router software. Any ideas?

Old 12-29-14, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator
Hi, I tried again today - set both SSIDs, channel, passwords, security (WEP) the same, disabled DHCP on repeater. Base station is 192.168.0.1, repeater is 192.168.0.100. I only saw 1 instance of the wireless network and had limited connection (no internet). Could not access either router software. Any ideas?
Since there is limited data online for that router, the actuall operating instructions are on the disk. You will get more help there. I can load my disk and read through the specifics.

Like I said best bet is chat online with netgear. They will guide you step by step.

Let me poke around.

The netgear forums are probably best to ask too as I went there for help in the past and those guys are genius there...