Can't Access Files on Slave Drive

Old 01-04-15, 08:38 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Can't Access Files on Slave Drive

I am attempting to access the files on a slave hard drive and although the drive shows up in My Computer, I am unable to access it. I get an error access denied warning. The size of the disk also is not listed for some reason. I tried changing the owner and checked the "replace owner or subcontainers and objects" checkbox and a window popped up saying it was changing ownership of all the files, but even then I still cannot open the drive. I also disabled UAC. I am using Windows 7 and I am not sure what OS is on the slave drive. I think it may be Windows 98. I think the drive may be going bad, but it looked like Check Disk fixed a bunch of errors when I booted up the first time after connecting it. BTW, my primary drive is connected via the SATA bus and the slave drive that I am trying to read is connected to an IDE bus with jumper set to Master.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-15, 09:09 PM
M
I figured it out. I had to "Add" my user account to the list of users, then redo the permissions. There were two users listed by default (System and Administrators) and I thought since my account is an administrator that choosing that selection would give me access, which it obviously did not. Now that my account is listed and I changed permissions for it, I can access all of the files

Old 01-05-15, 10:07 AM
M
Next question I have is whether I can reinstall Windows on the hard drive without losing all the files that are currently on it. I am not positive what version of Windows it is, but I want to say it is XP (I'll find out this evening when I get another chance to look at it). I have an XP disc from an old system of mine. If I disconnect my healthy HDD (with Windows 7) and connect only the corrupt drive, can I boot from the XP disc and perform a repair function on the drive, or will it see that the copy of XP I am using is not the same that was used during the original installation? I don't believe my parents have an XP install disc because the hard drive came out of a Dell machine and they don't typically provide the OS disk.

Old 01-05-15, 09:48 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1. You can re-install Windows without loosing all the files. Once you insert Windows CD, it will give you option to format (install fresh copy) or re-install (repair).

2. If you connect corrupt drive and can boot from XP disc to perform repair function on the drive (if it is working). You just need to boot the laptop / pc with CD (change boot preference from BIOS).

3. Also, you need to check - If the CD is for one time installation, you cannot install on different machine as it gets mapped with the motherboard of the system in which it was installed.

Old 01-06-15, 02:04 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You definitely need to stay within the same version of Windows especially if you are going to do a re-install. If you need Windows 7 there are websites that allow you to download a copy legally and then you can either put it on dvdv-r or on a flash drive that is empty and at least 4GB in space. Windows XP on the other hand will be next to impossible to get as it is no longer supplied by Microsoft. If you are going to stay with just removing files off of the old hdd then no Windows disk is necessary. Let me know if you need Windows 7 and I will guide you to the right website.