Computer Problem (small)

Old 01-26-15, 11:17 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Computer Problem (small)

I want to restore my computer to an earlier date. The reason being, a few months ago, I had a problem. It was actually a bad cable but I didn't find it until I had messed with a lot of things.
I regularly run virus scans and have protection and the computer is fast as ever with no problems.
For some reason, I cannot go back far enough to accomplish what I need. Three weeks when I need something like two months.
Now--before this problem, I could right click and drag to highlight words and it would appear in a search box at the very top left of screen. Also, there would be a dropdown list of all that I had searched.
This was very helpful and I used it every day.
Now when I am on a page, I have to go to the top left in a grey bar and type or paste a search word and there is no drop down history.
I would like to have it the way it was but can't restore over 3 weeks ago.
I am sure it has to be a simple setting???

Old 01-26-15, 11:43 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hello Giles, I hope I am understanding your question correctly.

Did you check if ''autocomplete'' and ''suggestions was on?

If so, it's possible that your history was deleted, which means all your suggestions from the past are gone and you will need to manually input them once for the computer to ''learn'' them.

Old 01-26-15, 01:53 PM
G
No--the computer has full history as before. I know this question is hard to explain and the problem is more an inconvenience.
I guess you know that I don't know a lot about computers but it seems strange that I have a small grey colored line to type something into.
Like right now at the very top of the screen is this web address and a magnifying glass symbol with an arrow pointing down and then a clockwise circle arrow all in that little box.
I know I can click on the "house" and open another window.
Sorry if this sounds silly or crazy, but it is not a great problem--I'll get by.

Old 01-26-15, 01:55 PM
H
You don't say what operating system you are running so I will assume it is Windows 7 in Windows 7 go to the search bar and type in System Restore. System Restore will tell you how many Restore points you have. If you regularly update Windows, and I encourage everyone to do so, you will have several restore points. Unless of course you deleted them or had previously used a restore point to restore your system and then you are left with only a few. That though is a different and separate thing from from your browser which acts differently.

Since I am unsure of your exact question I am providing help for both. If you are using Firefox then you can mess up the history of Firefox if it was ever reset and adding certain Add Ons can cause Firefox to not function like it should especially with drop down lists. I suggest you forget about the history that was there and restart with Firefox first try resetting Firefox. Look for the small square in the right hand corner and click on it now look for the question mark ? and click on that. Now look for Troubleshooting information and then click on Reset Firefox.

Reset Firefox will not take away your browsers history but will take away bad add ons. If that doesn't work then try removing history at the top of the browser where it says History. Then you will see a drop down list and it will say Everything and then you can check off what history you want removed and I would suggest you check off every check mark. Warning though once done that history is gone for good but in some cases it is what is needed in order to get Firefox to function properly. In extreme cases you need to remove and re-install Firefox to get it to work properly.

Old 01-27-15, 06:59 AM
W
Received 60 Upvotes on 52 Posts
Statistics

Tell us which operating system you are using and which web browser you are using.

Old 01-27-15, 08:09 AM
G
Windows 7 ---Internet Explorer.

Old 01-27-15, 12:44 PM
H
You can add on things to Internet Explorer too and you can reset it. Personally I prefer Firefox as I believe it is safer and more stable with more upgrades available. I rarely if ever use IE so I had to look up how to reset it here is the link on how to reset IE How to reset Internet Explorer settings . I myself have never had to reset IE and suggest you download Firefox so that you can then import IE's history and bookmarks. If you don't you might lose everything. Once reset it should work about as well as it always did.

Old 01-27-15, 01:08 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Upvotes on 1,140 Posts
My first thought is that you have downloaded a newer version of IE and it no longer works the way your previous version did.

Do you know how your machine is set to handle updates?

Old 01-27-15, 01:33 PM
G
I shut down nearly every night, and before it shuts down, it updates.

Old 01-27-15, 02:02 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Upvotes on 1,140 Posts
Do you know how to check installed updates? If so, I would look for a recent version of IE being installed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: