Increasing RAM on Asus Laptop

Old 01-31-15, 08:11 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Increasing RAM on Asus Laptop

I would like to increase the RAM on my Asus K750J laptop from 8GB to the max allowed 16GB. Searching I found that I only have 2 slots for the RAM and I now have (2)x4GB each which I can replace with (2)x8GB.

I don’t have any instructions on how to open the laptop and asking ASUS I was told they don’t provide any info because they don’t recommend consumers to open their laptops.

It looks like that the base of my laptop consists of a thin top aluminum plate (that is where the keyboard is) and the bottom plastic case. Under the bottom case there are 16 Philips screws, including the 4 screws inside the 4 rubber feet. I Removed all screws but there is no way to pry off the top aluminum plate and forcing it more I’m afraid it’s going to bend the thin aluminum top.

Any idea how to go about it?

My previous Dell Inspiron laptop had a beautiful maintenance manual with instructions on how to open the laptop and detailed ID on all internal components. I wonder why Asus did not follow the same practice

Old 01-31-15, 08:38 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Will the RAM be of use to you? In other words, have you documented that your computer is maxing out the 8 GB you currently have?

I have 24 GB on my work laptop but find I'm never using more than half of that with some seriously RAM intensive applications running.

Old 01-31-15, 08:48 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Old 01-31-15, 11:42 AM
Wirepuller the video is what I need and looks like my laptop.

I have not done any test to see if my RAM is maxed out but when the time comes I will do so before I buy the new RAM chips

Thanks

Old 01-31-15, 03:52 PM
The posted video worked nice for me except for the right top corner next to the DVD case. In that area I could not snap off the lid so I manually opened the DVD and now I could see a plastic snap holding the lid which I push it and then all was fine.

Now as per attached picture I can’t remove the keyboard ribbon – nowhere to get a good hold to pull it off.

Can I pull the connection by holding the wide ribbon and pull?

Attached Images  
Old 01-31-15, 04:59 PM
I got it, the ribbon socket consists of a white part and a black part; I pushed the white part towards the back and the ribbon got free, very easy (if you know how or make a good guess)

Old 02-01-15, 10:41 AM
If you look on the picture in Post #5, you will notice that the ribbon has another blue thin layer of plastic sticking out at the end. This blue plastic is part of the plug in end but as it goes up on the ribbon it becomes loose like you can grab that end and pull it off.

What is the purpose of that blue piece?

Old 02-03-15, 07:10 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do both ends have the same connectors? The blue might be an identifier as to which end goes where.

Old 02-03-15, 09:13 AM
No, the loose end has no connectors, the blue piece looks just like an overlay protector of the plug in end. Searching someone said the blue ribbon is added to give more “bite” to the connector end.

Here is another picture which shows better the blue ribbon

Attached Images  
Old 02-03-15, 01:02 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
That picture is much clearer. By connector, I meant the plug at the end of the ribbon cable. The blue end goes to the motherboard.

Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cables

Read Connector Assignments and Color Coding

Old 02-03-15, 01:18 PM
H
I agree that ribbon looks like it supplies power to the hd but the actual connector to the hd is on the other side and probably incorporated into the motherboards body. I am curious Kolias where the memory is located on your laptop? I just bought another model of Asus laptop a K54C at police auction that looks like it had never been used but from what little bit I could get out of the manual my memory is located at the bottom of the laptop. Until now I have never owned an Asus mainly all Dells which is what I have preferred in the past.

Old 02-03-15, 03:41 PM
The ribbon in post #9 is actually from the touch pad. There are no connectors (plugs) on any ribbon in my laptop. All the ribbons terminate like someone cut the ribbon with scissors and this cut end you slide it into the connector on the motherboard and then you lock it: some connectors have a clip which goes up to release the ribbon and down to lock it and in some this clip slides left/right to do the same function.

Unfortunately, to access the memory in my laptop (Asus K750J) you have to disassemble all the guts of it; the memory is located under the motherboard. I had called Asus requesting info on how to access the memory and I was told they don’t provide this info to discourage consumers of doing so. My previous laptop, a Dell Inspiron had the memory accessible right at the back cover by removing only 2 screws plus Dell had a complete maintenance manual on how to work inside the laptop and the specs of all components.

I have attached 2 pictures; picture 1 shows what you see after removing the keyboard (the aluminum foil at the left and below the fan covers the motherboard) and picture 2 shows the underside of the motherboard and the 2 RAM slots are at the right. If you need any more info / pictures let me know

Attached Images   
Old 02-03-15, 06:03 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I don't know what else to say except it doesn't look like I'll ever buy a Toshiba. Anyway, good luck with the project.

Old 02-04-15, 12:18 AM
H
I don't care for the way Asus is either but I at least was able to find out from them in a chat session that my new laptop can take a maximum of a 500gb hard drive due to bios limitations. I don't like that either as I would like to have a 1tb hdd at some point in time in that laptop but I guess that will never happen. Also on mine I took one panel off and found out I could put in one memory chip but to replace the other one would mean taking the whole bottom off. The battery was bad too so I need to get one as the warranty has expired. I can get one from Amazon.com though for a decent price.

I bought another used laptop that is Samsung and between the newer Dell and Asus I really like the way the Samsungs are configured as getting to the hdd compartment and memory are a breeze but the Samsung I bought is limited to 320gb for the hdd. I imagine though that they must have better models than that. Thank you for the other pictures Kolias your laptop certainly is different than my model of Asus and looks like it is hard to navigate through and as hard as navigating through my Dell Inspiron I bought a while back.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: