Computer question of the day

Old 02-06-15, 08:42 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Computer question of the day

If I'm looking at a new laptop (and I am...) that has Windows 8.1, will it automatically have Word and Excel installed?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-15, 08:44 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Nope.

Some packages will include a version of Office but it is not necessarily bundled with the OS.

Old 02-06-15, 09:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 291 Votes on 259 Posts
My laptop has W8 and doesn't have Word or Excel .... but it should say what extras [if any] come with any particular laptop.

Old 02-06-15, 09:16 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Libre Office is free and does about everything MS Office does without the cost.

Old 02-06-15, 10:05 AM
L
Thanks for enlightening me.

Old 02-06-15, 10:24 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If you were really enlightened you wouldn't buy a laptop with Windows on it.

Old 02-06-15, 12:01 PM
F
Received 24 Votes on 19 Posts
Whether 8.1 comes with the full-blown office suite will depend entirely on the retailer. M$ does not decree what will come with it and there is no industry-wide "standard" distribution. Usually, at most they will have bits and pieces, or time-limited evaluation copies.

Statistically, based on "Internet presence," Windows 8/8.1 comprises 13% of all traffic. Windows XP, which officially was sunsetted 10 months ago, still manages to hold on to 18%.

That a third more people are clinging to the dead-and-buried XP than have bought M$'s latest and greatest tells you all you ever need to know about Windows 8/1.8.

Old 02-06-15, 12:19 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Windows 8.1 is a perfectly fine operating system but its UI is different than previous OSs have had and people are intimidated by that as well as unwilling to tackle the necessary learning curve. I got used to 8.1 pretty quickly and now prefer it to the 7 and XP UIs.

Old 02-06-15, 01:42 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 291 Votes on 259 Posts
It didn't take me too long to adjust from XP to Win7 but my laptop came with Win8 and after a year I'm still not that fond of it ...... but I use my desk top [Win7] all the time, the laptop not so much.

Old 02-06-15, 07:48 PM
Received 225 Votes on 200 Posts
You can use Google Office suit and not bother with downloading anything. But Libre Office is very good.

Old 02-07-15, 02:04 AM
H
If it were me and I wanted a new laptop I would wait until Windows 10 comes out. I have an evaluation copy of it and while I will not say it is absolutely perfect I will say it is much better than Windows 8.1 and maybe a bit better than windows 7 in some ways. As to a free anything being bundle with the new os forget about it at least from MS. I suggest you find a laptop you like from the used laptops and find one that has or had Windows 7 on it as you can always download a copy legally and put Windows back on.

As to the best office suite there is none better than LibreOffice as the others have mentioned. Here is a link to their website Home | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Fun Project - Fantastic People . Best of all too it is free and so will be an upgrade to Windows 10 or at least that is what MS says right now.

Old 02-07-15, 09:42 PM
H
Another alternative is OpenOffice

I've been using the OpenOffice suite probably for 10 years now. It's the No.1 open source office suite and they say on the website that it's been downloaded 100 million times, which gives you an idea of how popular it is. A lot of companies use it in place of Microsoft because of the free licences. Has equivalents of the lastest versions of Word, Excel and PowerPoint, with all the functions. I seem to recall that Sun created it but it's now owned by Apache (the web server people). You can get the background on it, and download it, from OpenOffice.org. It's simple to install and use.

Old 02-08-15, 05:49 AM
T
Yeah I usually recommend OpenOffice to people as well, as a free alternative, with formats that communicate with MS word. So if you have a kid in school that needs to submit a paper that needs to be read by word, they can use OO for this task.

Then again, you can buy a basic version of office for Students and Teachers or whatever they are selling now, which is a somewhat limited edition, for a cheaper price. We tend to buy that MS office pack and just use it for what little we need.

No harm in trying something free however, If we didn't already have the student teacher package of MS office I would use OO.