Watching computer movies on TV

Old 02-09-15, 02:10 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Watching computer movies on TV

I would like to know how you can hook up a computer to a tv to watch movies on the tv

Old 02-09-15, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Depends on the computer, the video outputs and the TV inputs. Simplest is HDMI which is sound and video.

More details needed.

Old 02-09-15, 02:36 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Yep, what kind of outputs do you have on the PC and inputs on the TV?

Old 02-09-15, 03:48 PM
W
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Computer to TV

You need HDMI output on your computer, an HDMI cable, and HDMI input capability on your tv. On my LG tv, I go to settings and set input source to HDMI. So far, I can only get sound from the computer. Sound control on the tv does not seem to work on live streaming from the computer to the tv.

Old 02-09-15, 05:18 PM
Depending on your video card and the age of computer, you might have a DVI out connector on the card. HDMI is best, but the DVI can be connected to HDMI cable with an adapter.

Old 02-09-15, 06:03 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I have an S-video output on my laptop (yes, it is that old) and I would connect to my old TV via an S-video cable into the TV's S-video auxiliary input. Then used an audio cable from the laptop's earphone output to the TV's audio input corresponding to the S-video input.

With my new TV I have to plug the S-video into the S-video input of my video recorder as well as the audio cable and then the video recorder plays through the component connection to the TV.

Some TVs have a DVI input and this will usually take a standard computer video cable although sometimes an adapter plug is necessary. The audio is the same as previously described.

In all cases it is likely that a certain F key on the computer will need to be used to toggle between the laptop screen and the TV or both.

Old 02-15-15, 02:16 PM
G
where can I find these cables that I need.I am about 20ft apart from computer to tv.I have a new computer (dell) with a lg screen it has a dvi hook up. the tv is also a newer lg

Old 02-15-15, 10:00 PM
H
You can find cables that you need at either Monoprice.com or Cablestogo.com either one of those websites is more specialized but monoprice will be a bit cheaper and the quality is good too. Use their contact form and tell them what you want to do. I bought an antenna cable from monoprice with a first purchase from them several months ago. Tigerdirect or even newegg might have what you need too and definitely any of those would be cheaper than a brick and mortar store.

For those who are using an HDMI cable and have no sound you need to go to sound properties. Usually by right clicking the speaker icon and then clicking properties but sometimes you need to go to control panel and change the properties there and making the HDMI your primary sound. I had the same problem myself with a desktop I use in my living room for internet movies and shows.

Old 02-16-15, 03:25 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you have wifi in the house you can also use a device called Chromecast which plugs into an HDMI port on the TV. It is controlled from a computer, smart phone, or tablet. It will play streaming content from Youtube, Netflix, Hulu+ and others, plus it will play anything that appears on a computer's Chrome web browser.

First, though ... what is the model of the TV? The TV may already have wifi or a wired network connection.

Old 02-16-15, 08:30 AM
G
Model #

My model is 47LV5500UA man. march 2011

Old 02-16-15, 08:33 AM
G
I just want to thank everyone who has replied to my thread.I'm on my way !!!!

Old 02-18-15, 09:30 AM
G
Rick see my post on tv model

Old 02-19-15, 05:05 AM
R
Yep. That TV already has wifi and a built in web browser. Here's a link to the page where you can download the manual:

LG 47LV5500 Support: Find Manuals & Warranty Info | LG USA

Old 02-19-15, 09:47 AM
G
HI Rick It keeps telling me it is disconnected

Old 02-22-15, 03:46 AM
R
Is the TV physically connected to the network in your house? If not, is there wifi in your house? Every situation is different. That's why I linked to the manual.

Old 02-22-15, 06:59 AM
A
Received 109 Votes on 101 Posts
How about VGA output on the computer (most desktops have this) to VGA input on the TV (most newer TVs have this)? For those who have never used VGA, the connector is trapezoid shaped and a little less than an inch long with three rows of five tiny holes/pins each.

VGA is video only. You will need a separate hookup from the computer to some speakers.

Old 03-02-15, 04:07 PM
G
Hi Rick it is connected direct to the network But I have the time warner remote also hooked up.bought a cable and hooked up the computer to the tv Used the lg remote pressed home arrowed down to input then changed the HDMI 2 which is plugged into that port keeps telling me no connection

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: