Booting Issues

Old 02-21-15, 04:38 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
On second thougbht, I'll check for shorts first. Could be as simple as a short in the audio connector, which would make the chip run hot.

Update: All four VDD (power) pins on my audio codec chip have only 52 ohms with respect to ground. This is not normal and the chip would draw excessive current and get very hot, which it is. The chip is likely robbing other hardware of current and therefore not allowing things to work properly. I'm going to remove the chip at work Monday and will post back with the outcome Monday evening when I attempt to boot again.

Last edited by mossman; 02-21-15 at 05:45 AM.
Old 02-21-15, 07:16 AM
M
I removed the codec chip and it booted right up. Except the mouse and keyboard didnt turn on. Rebooted a couple more trying the PS2 jacks and still nothing. Now it wont power at all. Green light comes on but fans dont come on. Oh well, I tried. Headed to the computer shop to get a new one.

Old 02-21-15, 07:18 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you have two sticks of memory, just boot with one & then the other separately. One of them maybe bad.

Old 02-21-15, 09:32 AM
M
I have four sticks and already tried swapping them around, installing only one, etc.

I'm through wasting my time with it. Just dropped it off to have a new motherboard, RAM, and power supply out in it. $300 for essentially a brand new up-to-date PC. Not too bad.

Old 02-21-15, 09:40 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Okay, let us know how it all went.

Old 02-24-15, 06:40 AM
M
I got a call this morning saying my PC is ready to pick up, so evidently the motherboard was the problem. My guess is something went wrong with the audio circuitry, which was affecting other circuits thereby leading to my other random issues. I'm hesitant to connect the same speakers in fear of damaging my new MB, so I'll probably just buy a cheap pair.

Old 02-24-15, 07:00 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Connect the sound card to you home stereo amp. I made the mistake of buying computer speakers once. They were supposed to have a "good sound". Even if you have a boom box with the proper inputs, it would be better than computer speakers. The audio from my TV is also connected to my stereo.

Old 02-24-15, 08:32 AM
M
Not interested in doing that. The PC is in the basement and doesn't get used much. Mostly to check email and for my daughter to play ABC Mouse. The current speakers sound really good actually, because of the separate subwoofer.

Old 02-24-15, 02:48 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Ok, I have all my entertainment in one place so I can use the network, the TV & listen to music, without going anywhere. So what happened with the repair? Did the motherboard solve some, all or none of the problems?

Old 02-26-15, 10:20 AM
M
The new motherboard (Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H with Intel i3 processor) solved all of the problems. Computer boots, wakes from sleep, speakers work, keyboard and mouse work, etc. Pretty happy with my system now . Hopefully this one will last me another 10 years.

Old 02-26-15, 02:59 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
LOL @ 10 years.

Old 02-26-15, 04:36 PM
Z
Received 121 Upvotes on 112 Posts
Didn't they tell you what was wrong with the old motherboard? Seems like they should have told you why it had to be replaced. (IMHO it seemed like the keyboard controller might have been the issue - but who knows lol!)

Old 02-26-15, 07:00 PM
M
I didn't ask them to troubleshoot it because that would have been a waste of time/money considering the MB is 10 years old. I took it to the shop, picked out a new MB, and told them to replace it so that is what they did. It was time to upgrade anyhow. Everything works great now and I essentially have a new PC for a cost of $300.

Last edited by mossman; 02-26-15 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-27-15, 08:28 AM
Z
That's good that you are back on the road!

Old 02-28-15, 08:25 AM
M
I just plugged in my speakers for the first time and was listening to music for about two minutes then problems started again. I used the keyboard buttons to adjust the volume and the screen froze. Had to reboot. Restarted and played music again. This time the keyboard didn't cause any issues but I started getting funky sounds out of the speakers then got the blue screen of death. Evidently it was these speakers that ultimately led to the demise of my old motherboard. Makes sense considering how hot the audio codec chip was getting. Needless to say, these speakers are going into the trash. BTW, they are externally-powered speakers so they are definitely capable of damaging the MB audio circuitry.

Old 02-28-15, 08:54 PM
Z
Speakers from hell! lol Bury those suckers deep.

Old 03-04-15, 09:34 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts

I honestly admit not reading all the above. Did pickup on one key request you made. How to reset operating system back to default settings. Hopefully I got that correct?

Suggestion: At startup time there should be an option to select the Esc keyboard button or another option may be the F10 key. Depending up the operating system (OS)...????

The issue remains the same. Save everything in all your files and folders but reset OS back to default settings. If that's what you still want to do, try whichever option is there to choose from at startup time. Or in the OS is a restore option allows going back to a previous time when OS was running well. A reverse time machine so to speak. Going back in time may be a good method if the system saved a time in the not to distant past or you'll loose whatever you saved or had/have currently not backed up on external drive etc.

Did it myself several years back on XP Pro version OS and 2002 computer. Worked well till just recently, then suddenly something crashed!!!!...Yikes!!!.....???? Restored system using F10 key about 5 or so years back. Reset all back to default settings and still maintained files and folders.

OS Run well till month or so ago. Then suddenly HD crashed... That machine now apart in several pieces and rest ready to be sent to RECYCLE YARD....... All in all not to bad. 13 years in operation. And after seeing and having several BLUE SCREENS of so called death.

Windows is like an old Timex wristwatch. Takes a Licking and keeps on Ticking!!!....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: