Booting Issues

Old 02-18-15, 05:20 PM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Booting Issues

I've been having issues with my PC for the past few months. It seemed to start when my computer got infected with malware, but I can't say for sure. The first sign of a problem was when the computer would not longer wake up from sleep mode. The fans would turn on but no video would display and I believe the mouse and keyboard would not light up either. The only way to get the computer back on would be to hold down the power button for ten seconds then reboot. I stopped using the sleep feature and shutting down after each use. That worked for a while, but now the computer is having issues booting and boots maybe one out of ten times if I'm lucky. As of last week, my speakers no longer work and as of this week my keyboard does not work and is not listed in Device Manager. I installed another audio driver and it kept displaying messages indicating that I had just unplugged an audio device when I had not actually done anything. I tried unplugging all the hardware, leaving RAM cards out, CD ROM disconnected, etc but this made no difference. I also removed the bios battery, which reads 3.1V, waited two minutes, then reinserted it and the computer booted right up. I think this may have just been a coincidence because I tried this again and it didnt boot. Fans are turning on, green LED on motherboard is turning on, hard drive is spinning up, but the screen is black and the mouse is not lighting up. Ever so often, the screen will display the motherboard screen but then the screen goes black. Does it sound like my motherboard is on its last leg? It's an ASUS P5LD2 with Intel 945 chipset and is about 9 or 10 years old. BTW, I can't seem to find a bios update for Windows 7 so maybe it just isn't compatible. Although it worked great with no issues for several months after installing Windows 7.

Old 02-18-15, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I feel your pain, and I think you may be due for a new PC. My older (but better) upgraded W-7 PC started having similar issues and I finally had to pull out the even older XP box just to be able to get online. I did all the same steps as you with no joy and I've been working computers for 30 yrs.

I'll be buying a new box at the end of the month.

If there are things you need off the HD, get a compatible dock and move what you need.

9-10 yrs old on a PC is like 157 in dog years. Way beyond it's projected lifespan.

You might be able to take it to a shop and have it diagnosed, but that's gonna be $100 probably and you can get a decent new one for $400.

DO NOT go for one of the small footprint desktops, even though they often seem like a good deal. They often use proprietary power supplies that can be expensive (as I also found out recently). They also have very limited upgrade capabilities (memory, video, etc). Just get a decent quad core full size tower.

Old 02-18-15, 06:02 PM
M
I'm not a fan of the prebuilt PCs. I like to choose my own components and have it built the way I want it. I've upgraded the hardware over the years so the entire system isn't twn years old. My hard drive and CD ROM are brand new so I will be at least be reusing those things. I could probably reuse the power supply and the cabinet/case as well couldn't I? I believe all I would need is a new motherboard, chipset, and video card. Wondering if my RAM can be used too. I have four 1GB sticks that I installed a few years ago. Guess I should take it in and see what can be salvaged.

Old 02-18-15, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator
Sure, if you want to build your own, go for it. It just sounds like the MB has bit the dust. You might even be able to just replace that and be good to go. Unfortunately, I believe Windows will recognize a big hardware change like that and you'll have to go through the re-registration hassle. Though some people have said it's pretty painless.

Old 02-18-15, 06:23 PM
M
Before running off and buying a new motherboard, is there something I can do to reset the current motherboard back to its factory settings? Or did I already do this by removing the battery? I'm having difficulty accepting that all of these issues started just a few months ago when everything was perfectly fine up until then.

Old 02-18-15, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator
I'm not sure about that...

Normally removing the battery will do it, though you may need to wait more than 2 minutes. There might also be a cap holding a charge to keep things.

Most boards have a couple of pins somewhere that say "reset" or similar. You slide the connector on then power it up and it goes back to factory defaults. Power down, remove the connector and try again. At least the ones I have had did that. You should be able to find a diagram/tutorial of the MB somewhere online. Try this...Motherboards - P5LD2-VM - ASUS Look at page 1-21

I really hate newer PCs almost as much as plumbing and new cars.

Old 02-18-15, 07:31 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I don't think that you need a mother board. Did you scan for malware first? You already know about anti malware from malwarebytes.org Even before you do that, run msconfig, even if you have to do it in safe mode, go to the startup tab, click disable all, click ok, reboot, click OK again & see what happens.

If none of that helps, boot normally, download & run Hijack This & post the output here. I'll tell you what to delete.

Old 02-18-15, 07:36 PM
M
Yes, I.have scanned for malware and it removed a trojan. This was around the time I started having issues. I have scanned again since then and nothing else has been found. I'm using Avast and superantispyware. Maybe removing and repairing files screwed things up. First thing I need is a new keyboard since mine stopped working. Could my bios and MBR have been damaged by a virus? And if so, how do I get it back to normal? My motherboard disc will not execute in Windows 7. I do however have a hard drive with XP on it that I could boot from.

Old 02-18-15, 07:49 PM
M
Yes, I.have scanned for malware and it removed a trojan. This was around the time I started having issues. I have scanned again since then and nothing else has been found. I'm using Avast and superantispyware. Maybe removing and repairing files screwed things up. First thing I need is a new keyboard since mine stopped working.

Old 02-18-15, 09:24 PM
H
I agree with Pulpo I wouldn't buy a new motherboard yet. I would however check that manual that Gunguy45 found for you and see about the jumper pins. Some motherboards have reset pins and some don't but from memory for my Asus motherboard I have I believe it is located near the rear of the board but every motherboard is different. If you do get the motherboard to work right I think wiping the hard drive would be best as it probably has remnants of malware on it that may be causing you trouble.

As to memory if you replace the motherboard most newer motherboards will require DDR3 memory so if you have DDR2 then you either need to replace the memory or match the memory to the motherboard. They do have your motherboard on e-bay so if you want to get an exact replacement I would check there. Here is a link to the listings asus p5ld2 | eBay . I wish you luck with this. It looks like they have bios chips too.

Old 02-19-15, 04:44 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
mossman, some of the trojan may still be there. Use malwarebytes & disable all in the startup, the way I described. Then run Hijack This if the problem still exists.

Old 02-19-15, 05:47 AM
M
Okay. I'll give it a try, assuming I can get the computer booted and the keyboard to work. I have the MB manual so finding the jumpers should be easy. I was expecting to see a yellow exclamation next to the keyboard under Human Interface Devices when opening device manager, but the only thing listed is the mouse. Is this typical if the keyboard is faulty or disconnected? Should simply connecting a new keyboard fix this or is there something else I need to do? As opposed to wiping the drive, couldnt I insert the Windows disc and do a repair?

Old 02-19-15, 06:19 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I really don't think that you have a motherboard problem. Even if you have to boot to safe mode, disable all in msconfig & exit without restart. Then download, install, update & run anti malware from malwarebytes.org Then reboot & see what happens. If the virus blocks the malwarebytes download, I'll tell you how to get it another way. If you still have problems but can do a regular boot, try Hijack This. That can not be run in safe mode. If you still want to try the repair with the CD, follow the instructions on:

How to Fix Windows 7 When It Fails to Boot

Old 02-19-15, 07:04 AM
M
Windows runs fine 9 times out of 10 when I can actually get the bios to boot (1 out of 20 times). Problem is getting anything to happen to begin with. The fans turn on, the motherboard turns on, but the screen is black.

Old 02-19-15, 07:13 AM
P
Received 19 Upvotes on 18 Posts
if you have a spare hard drive, I would suggest ruling out the current software install. Unplug the current hard drive and connect a spare one (even if it does not have an OS installed and see if it will boot to the point where it wants to start the OS. Another option is to unplug your current hard drive and use a boot CD to verify that you can get past the bios. If you can get that far consistently, then I vote for bad software/corrupt OS or even a bad hard drive. If it won't get past the bios without your current drive installed then I vote for bad hardware.

Peter

Old 02-19-15, 07:24 AM
M
if you have a spare hard drive, I would suggest ruling out the current software install. Unplug the current hard drive and connect a spare one (even if it does not have an OS installed and see if it will boot to the point where it wants to start the OS. Another option is to unplug your current hard drive and use a boot CD to verify that you can get past the bios. If you can get that far consistently, then I vote for bad software/corrupt OS or even a bad hard drive. If it won't get past the bios without your current drive installed then I vote for bad hardware.
As stated earlier, I can't even get to the BIOS. I already tried unplugging both hard drives, left one stick of RAM plugged in and disconnected all peripheral devices aside from the monitor (mouse, keyboard, speakers, LAN, etc) and there was no change. Fans turns on, MB LED lights up, screen is black. Can't get the bios to run. I should mention that there are no beeps upon powering on the PC. I noticed an unpopulated footprint on the MB next to the bios battery, but I'm assuming there is a piezo buzzer located elsewhere (front panel?).

Old 02-19-15, 07:51 AM
P
Received 19 Upvotes on 18 Posts
If you can't get to the bios with NO peripherals or other hardware attached, then I believe you have a bad MB or maybe power supply. Especially if it is the original MB, I say go with a new one. If it is the original MB, you may find yourself getting a new power supply to match it. Going back that far, I think there were changes to the power connections at the MB (at least).

Peter

Old 02-19-15, 08:11 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Windows runs fine 9 times out of 10 when I can actually get the bios to boot (1 out of 20 times). Problem is getting anything to happen to begin with. The fans turn on, the motherboard turns on, but the screen is black.
You didn't say that before. If that's the case, boot to VGA mode. I bet that works every time unless there is still more malware running. I don't understand the fixation with the mother board.

Old 02-19-15, 08:41 AM
M
Sorry. Thought I did. Not exactly sure what you mean by booting in VGA mode.

I don't understand the fixation with the mother board.
Just an assumption based on the bios not running, mouse and keyboard not lighting up, speakers not working, etc. All of these things are handled by the MB correct?

Last edited by mossman; 02-19-15 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-19-15, 11:18 AM
Z
Received 121 Upvotes on 112 Posts
mossman if your keyboard is actually the problem (and not a symptom) I don’t think you can get very far through the BIOS execution. I’m almost positive that it is pretty standard that the BIOS checks the keyboard very early on, after initializing the chipset and the memory controller (but I think the order does vary a little), and I don’t think you may hear any beeps if keyboard initialization fails - and that failure is an unrecoverable failure.

If your keyboard is a USB keyboard did you try it in other USB ports and with no other USB devices connected? I assume you don’t have access to another keyboard or you would have tried that. Maybe it would be worthwhile to buy a cheap keyboard anyway, just to rule that out before you buy a new motherboard. You could use a PS/2 keyboard if your current keyboard is USB, that would be a good test. Or vice versa, use a USB if your keyboard is PS/2.

If you wanted something that could help you also troubleshoot in the future you can buy a PC POST card. I think usually they fit in PCI slots and aren’t very expensive (I have one I bought years ago). The BIOS puts out codes (I believe usually on port 80) as it makes progress and you can read them on the POST card display:

Amazon.com: Computer POST Test Main Board Diagnostic Analyzer Card: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: PC Motherboard Diagnostic Card 4-Digit PCI/ISA POST Code Analyzer: Computers & Accessories

But you have to get a list of the POST codes for your particular BIOS (my motherboard manual lists all the POST codes for the particular BIOS). Here is an example of POST codes for particular BIOS’s (I think this stuff is old, but it’s only an example):

Award BIOS Post Codes - BIOS Central

Good luck!

p.s. how windows winds up with no keyboard in device manager seems weird to me, but I'm no expert. I found a place where a Microsoft lady told someone how to edit the registry if that happens, removing a "Filter" from a particular Class. Don't know what that's all about but if I find the statement again I'll post it.

Old 02-19-15, 12:12 PM
M
If your keyboard is a USB keyboard did you try it in other USB ports and with no other USB devices connected?
Yes, I tried that. It doesn't work in any of the USB ports. When I unplugged the mouse and keyboard the other day, there was a pretty good zap from static electricity so I think that may have fried it. I'm going to grab a cheap keyboard from Radio Shack on the way home. I also have a USB-to-PS/2 adapter so I'll try that as well. I like the idea of connecting a BIOS diagnostic board too, if not on this PC, on my future one.

Last edited by mossman; 02-19-15 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-19-15, 06:30 PM
M
I found that the diagnostic beeper was disconnected. I reconnected it and got a long beep followed by three short beeps, then a three second pause followed by two rapid beeps. Neither of these sequences is in the manual. I have nothing but the power connectors and two RAM sticks connected to the motherboard.

I believe the first code means no VGA detected, which makes sense because my video card is removed. The second code I have no clue (CMOS error?).

Just pulled RAM and now getting one long continuous beep.

Another thing I just noticed is that the power supply is making a high pitched buzzing noise that randomly changes in pitch. It is a Power Up switching power supply, model LC-8400BTX. BTW, I checked all voltages via every connector and they are all in spec.

Also just happened to noticed that the heat sink for my Intel ICH7R chip is warm, whereas everything else on the MB is cool to the touch. Isn't this the chip that handles communication between the CPU and MB and also the peripheral devices? If so, I may have found my problem.

Last edited by mossman; 02-19-15 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-19-15, 06:42 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
mossman, there is still a chance that your motherboard is shot. However, I like to test the software first. If the computer is booting to a black screen, that could me that the video card is bad. That's why I suggested to boot to VGA mode. Tap F8, instead of choosing safe mode choose VGA mode.

Old 02-19-15, 07:41 PM
M
I decided to reconnect everything and was finally able to get the PC to boot. I am typing this message using a new keyboard and my Windows 7 drive. It took about 10 times resetting the BIOS and 50 times unplugging and plugging things back in, but it finally booted. I'm afraid to turn the PC off now. I ran HiJack This, and here are the results:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.5
Scan saved at 12:06:50 AM, on 1/1/2002
Platform: Windows 7 SP1 (WinNT 6.00.3505)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v11.0 (11.00.9600.17631)

FIREFOX: 35.0.1 (x86 en-US)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskhost.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\avastui.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERANTISPYWARE.EXE
C:\Users\Office\AppData\Local\Amazon Music\Amazon Music Helper.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Panasonic\HD Writer AutoStart\HDWriterAutoStart.exe
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Display\nvtray.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerPlugin_16_0_0_305.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerPlugin_16_0_0_305.exe
C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe
C:\Users\Office\Downloads\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = https://www.yahoo.com?fr=hp-avast&type=avastbcl
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?type=avastbcl&hspart=avast&hsimp=yhs-001&p={searchTerms}
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = https://www.yahoo.com?fr=hp-avast&type=avastbcl
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = Bing
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = https://www.yahoo.com?fr=hp-avast&type=avastbcl
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:49461;https=127.0.0.1:49461
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = <-loopback>;*.local
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Lync Click to Call BHO - {31D09BA0-12F5-4CCE-BE8A-2923E76605DA} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\Office15\OCHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: PDF Architect Helper - {3A2D5EBA-F86D-4BD3-A177-019765996711} - C:\Program Files\PDF Architect\PDFIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: avast! Online Security - {8E5E2654-AD2D-48bf-AC2D-D17F00898D06} - C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\aswWebRepIE.dll
O2 - BHO: URLRedirectionBHO - {B4F3A835-0E21-4959-BA22-42B3008E02FF} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\Office15\URLREDIR.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {B78F92C8-DEB3-11E2-9A0A-FB64281D6ADE} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: HP Smart BHO Class - {FFFFFFFF-CF4E-4F2B-BDC2-0E72E116A856} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AvastUI.exe] "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastUI.exe" /nogui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [APSDaemon] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\APSDaemon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDVCPL] "C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RtHDVCpl.exe" -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Amazon Music] "C:\Users\Office\AppData\Local\Amazon Music\Amazon Music Helper.exe"
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-2072273427-4213458740-538235693-1003\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'UpdatusUser')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-2072273427-4213458740-538235693-1003\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'UpdatusUser')
O4 - Global Startup: HD Writer.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Panasonic\HD Writer AutoStart\HDWriterAutoStart.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\Root\Office15\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Se&nd to OneNote - res://C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\Root\Office15\ONBttnIE.dll/105
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\Office15\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Se&nd to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\Office15\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Lync Click to Call - {31D09BA0-12F5-4CCE-BE8A-2923E76605DA} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\Office15\OCHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Lync Click to Call - {31D09BA0-12F5-4CCE-BE8A-2923E76605DA} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\Office15\OCHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: OneNote Lin&ked Notes - {789FE86F-6FC4-46A1-9849-EDE0DB0C95CA} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\Office15\ONBttnIELinkedNotes.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: OneNote Lin&ked Notes - {789FE86F-6FC4-46A1-9849-EDE0DB0C95CA} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\Office15\ONBttnIELinkedNotes.dll
O9 - Extra button: Show or hide HP Smart Web Printing - {DDE87865-83C5-48c4-8357-2F5B1AA84522} - C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_BHO.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\wlidnsp.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\wlidnsp.dll
O11 - Options group: [ACCELERATED_GRAPHICS] Accelerated graphics
O18 - Protocol: osf - {D924BDC6-C83A-4BD5-90D0-095128A113D1} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\Office15\MSOSB.DLL
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O23 - Service: SAS Core Service (!SASCORE) - SUPERAntiSpyware.com - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASCORE.EXE
O23 - Service: Adobe Acrobat Update Service (AdobeARMservice) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\armsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Adobe Flash Player Update Service (AdobeFlashPlayerUpdateSvc) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - AVAST Software - C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastSvc.exe
O23 - Service: AvastVBox COM Service (AvastVBoxSvc) - Avast Software - C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\ng\vbox\AvastVBoxSVC.exe
O23 - Service: B's Recorder GOLD Library General Service (bgsvcgen) - B.H.A Corporation - C:\Windows\System32\bgsvcgen.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: HTCMonitorService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\HTC\HTC Sync Manager\HSMServiceEntry.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Mozilla Maintenance Service (MozillaMaintenance) - Mozilla Foundation - C:\Program Files\Mozilla Maintenance Service\maintenanceservice.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (nvsvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Update Service Daemon (nvUpdatusService) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA Update Core\daemonu.exe
O23 - Service: Internet Pass-Through Service (PassThru Service) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\HTC\Internet Pass-Through\PassThruSvr.exe
O23 - Service: PDF Architect Helper Service - pdfforge GmbH - C:\Program Files\PDF Architect\HelperService.exe
O23 - Service: PDF Architect Service - pdfforge GmbH - C:\Program Files\PDF Architect\ConversionService.exe
O23 - Service: Skype Updater (SkypeUpdate) - Skype Technologies - C:\Program Files\Skype\Updater\Updater.exe
O23 - Service: UMVPFSrv - Logitech Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\logishrd\LVMVFM\UMVPFSrv.exe

--
End of file - 8385 bytes

Old 02-19-15, 08:00 PM
M
Also, if this helps at all:

Attached Images       

Last edited by mossman; 02-19-15 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-19-15, 08:16 PM
M
Sorry. Having some issues getting some good resolution screen captures uploaded. Here are the results from running the Resource and Performance Monitor:

Error
Symptom: A service is reported as having an unexpected error code
Cause: One or more services has failed. The service did not stop gracefully, suggesting the service may have crashed or one of its components stopped in an unsupported way.
Details: Service exited with code not equal to 0 or 1077
Resolution: Restart the service

Symptom: Device is not present, not working properly, or does not have all of its drivers installed.
Cause: A device has a configuration problem that prevents it from working properly.
Details: The device, ASInsHelp, is reporting "tv_ConfigMgrErr24". This device will not be available until the issue is resolved. The Plug and Play ID for this device is ROOT\LEGACY_ASINSHELP\0000.
Resolution: 1. Verify the correct driver is installed.
2. Try updating the drivers using Windows Update.
3. Check with the manufacturer for an updated driver.
4. Attempt to uninstall and then reinstall the device using Device Manager.

Informational

Symptom: The security center has not recorded an anti-virus product
Cause: The Security Center is unable to identify an active anti-virus application. Either there is no anti-virus product installed or it is not recognized.
Resolution: 1. Verify that an anti-virus product is installed.
2. If an anti-virus product is installed and functioning configure Security Center to stop monitoring anti-virus status.

Symptom: The security center reports that User Access Control is disabled
Cause: User Access Control is disabled. It is highly recommended that you run Windows with User Access Control enabled.
Resolution: Enable User Access Control using the Security Center.

Basic System Checks

OS Checks: Passed
Disk Checks: Passed
Security Center Tests: Failed
- User Account Control Enabled Check Tests: 1 Failed: 1 Description: Failed
- Windows Update Enabled Check Tests: 1 Failed: 0 Description: Passed

System Service Checks: Failed
- Abnormally Terminated Services Check Tests: 1 Failed: 1 Description: Failed
- Workstation Service Check Tests: 1 Failed: 0 Description: Passed

Hardware Device and Driver Checks: Failed (see bold highlight)
Controller Device Configured Fail Count Tests: 17 Failed: 0 Controller devices.
Controller Device Status Fail Count 17 0 Controller devices.
Cooling Configured Fail Count 0 0 Cooling devices.
Cooling Status Fail Count 0 0 Cooling devices.
Input Configured Fail Count 2 0 Input devices.
Input Status Fail Count 2 0 Input devices.
Memory Device Configured Fail Count 92 0 Memory devices.
Memory Device Status Fail Count 92 0 Memory devices.
Motherboard Device Configured Fail Count 17 0 Motherboard devices.
Motherboard Device Status Fail Count 17 0 Motherboard devices.
Network Configured Fail Count 11 0 Network devices.
Network Status Fail Count 11 0 Network devices.
Port Device Configured Fail Count 65 0 Port devices.
Port Device Status Fail Count 65 0 Port devices.
Power Device Configured Fail Count 0 0 Power devices.
Power Device Status Fail Count 0 0 Power devices.
Printing Device Configured Fail Count 12 0 Printing devices.
Printing Device Status Fail Count 12 0 Printing devices.
Storage Device Configured Fail Count 3 0 Storage devices.
Storage Device Status Fail Count 3 0 Storage devices.
Video Device Configured Fail Count 2 0 Video devices.
Video Device Status Fail Count 2 0 Video devices.
PlugAndPlay Device Configured Fail Count Tests: 190 Failed: 1 PlugAndPlay devices.
PlugAndPlay Device Status Fail Count 190 0 PlugAndPlay devices.

Resource Overview
CPU - Normal - 40%
Network - Idle - 1%
Disk - Idle - 34/sec
Memory - Normal - 66% (I only have 2GB out of 4GB installed at this point)

Keep in mind I reset my BIOS and my system date/clock is currently displaying 1/1/2002. This may be the reason for some of these failures, but that's beyond me. I will fix the date/time in the BIOS setup as soon as I feel comfortable rebooting, which I don't at this point.

Old 02-20-15, 06:17 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Delete the following entries, in Hijack This. There are one or two other questionable entries but start with those. For example did you install B's Recorder GOLD Library General Service?

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:49461;https=127.0.0.1:49461

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)

l
O2 - BHO: URLRedirectionBHO - {B4F3A835-0E21-4959-BA22-42B3008E02FF} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\Office15\URLREDIR.DLL

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {B78F92C8-DEB3-11E2-9A0A-FB64281D6ADE} - (no file)

O2 - BHO: HP Smart BHO Class - {FFFFFFFF-CF4E-4F2B-BDC2-0E72E116A856} - (no file)

(Note on that entry ^^ It may have to be repaired by Winsock repair tool)

Before you reboot, run msconfig, go to the startup tap, disable all, click ok. Also, download anti malware, update & run it. When you finally reboot, tab F8 until you get to the menu & choose VGA Mode. That bypasses the video card. I don't know why you removed that anyway. It might be a good idea to correct the BIOS clock in between those two steps. In fact I recommend it.

Old 02-20-15, 06:35 AM
M
did you install B's Recorder GOLD Library General Service?
No, I did not install that.

I'll delete those files and do the other steps you recommend. Is the Winsock repair tool something that can be run from the HiJack This interface or does this have to be downloaded and run separately? And am I effectively booting in safe mode when I disable all?

Any comments on the Resource and Performance results?

Last edited by mossman; 02-20-15 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-20-15, 06:51 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If you didn't install that program, get rid of it. Go into the control panel, programs & features & uninstall whatever you don't want anymore. Disabling all in the startup tab, in msconfig stops those programs from loading into memory at boot time. That gives the machine a little extra speed & it prevents conflicts with other programs & possibly the boot process which was your main issue. They are still available for use. The Winsock repair tool is a separate download. You may not even need it. Do the other things first.

Old 02-20-15, 11:56 AM
M
I have to ask...why do I need to disable Windows programs in msconfig if my boot problem is with the BIOS? I never have a problem booting Windows.

Old 02-20-15, 01:03 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
You keep saying that it's a BIOS problem & I'm not sure of that. If I thought it were a BIOS problem, I would reset the BIOS back to do defaults. You can try that too. If you think that my procedure doesn't match what you're seeing, just say so & I won't say anymore.

One more thing:

That ^^ is certainly not a BIOS problem.

Old 02-20-15, 02:24 PM
M
Didn't mean to offend--you obviously know what you're talking about and I greatly appreciate your assistance as I know I would pay a pretty penny to get help elsewhere. I'm just trying to understand the logic for my own education. My initial assumption based on my limited understanding of the low-level functionality of computers, was that if I can't get the computer to even display the BIOS screen or do the POSTs, then I have a BIOS issue because the OS hasn't even been loaded at that stage. Sounds like I am wrong about that. As soon as I have a chance to do those things this evening, I will, and will post back with the outcome. Thanks again.

I would reset the BIOS back to do defaults.
If I'm not mistaken, I believe I reset the BIOS to the defaults when I removed the battery and shorted the jumper. My system clock says 1/1/2002. Am I right about this?

Old 02-20-15, 03:46 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
You didn't offend me. You can certainly see something that I don't. You're there, I'm not. My thought was that a bad video card could cause a black screen although you should still see the POST. However, if it's a video chip instead of a video card, you wouldn't see anything & that would point to a motherboard problem. If we are talking about a desktop, the connector from the monitor, on the back of the PC would be in a vertical position if it's a chip on the motherboard. It will be horizontal if it's a video card. Follow me closely now If you have 2 connectors for the monitor (blue), on the back of the PC & it's on the horizontal connector, switch it to the vertical connector. If there is only one connector & it's vertical, buy a PCI video card & install it. I hope all of that is clear.

Old 02-20-15, 04:44 PM
M
I have a video card installed in a PCIe slot. It has both a VGA and a DVI jack (I'm using the DVI jack). Does switching to VGA mode like you suggest bypass the card and use the MB for display purposes even though the VGA jack is located on the video card?

Old 02-20-15, 04:48 PM
M
I just removed those files and my new keyboard stopped working. Had to unplug it and plug it back in for it to work again

HiJack This said to use LSP fix to repair the WinSock dlls, but when I ran LSP fix it said no problems.

About to run msconfig now then restart (fingers crossed).

Old 02-20-15, 05:08 PM
M
Haven't rebooted yet. Just ran Anti Malware and there were 25 hits, but it says they are all non-malware. Does this mean they are not malicious?

Name:  Malware.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  46.6 KB

I deleted those files in HiJack This, ran Anti Malware, and disabled all startup items. Waiting to get clarification on the video card and then I'll restart. There is no VGA jack integrated into the MB, only on my video card (GE Force 7300GS) along with a DVI jack as previously mentioned.

Old 02-20-15, 05:34 PM
M
Just attempted a restart. PC would not boot back up. Fans running, black screen, mouse and keyboard off. Had to hold power button to shutdown. Tried booting again with no luck. Now what? BTW, there are no beeps when attempting to boot. The only time I heard beeps is after resetting the BIOS and leaving RAM or the video card out. The one time it booted sucessfully (last night), it beeped once, which means normal operation. Does the fact that the MB is not beeping point towards the MB being bad?

Last edited by mossman; 02-20-15 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-20-15, 08:03 PM
R
Received 67 Upvotes on 52 Posts
I know you said the CMOS battery checks OK but I would suggest that you replace it anyway. From the looks of all the issues your seeing if it were me I would wipe the hard drive clean and do a complete new install of the OS. You do have restore discs don't you?

Old 02-20-15, 08:56 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
So if there is no video chip in the mother board, then try F8 & use VGA mode. That bypasses the video card driver. I want to eliminate the video card as the problem before I throw in the towel & say it's the motherboard. Trying another video card might solve all the problems. That's up to you.

The Anti Malware report sounds like there were no malicious files found. Did you delete the Hijack This entries first? Just curious, it doesn't matter at this point.

Old 02-20-15, 09:50 PM
M
I decided to connect my XP drive and the PC booted right up. I ran anti malware and it found 7 items, which I deleted. I then ran msconfig and disabled all.startup items and rebooted. PC booted fine, to my surprise, and I accessed the BIOS menu to change the date/time. Upon attempting to do so, it started freaking out like I was rapidly pressing keys on the keyboard. I could not stop it so I powered down using the power button. The PC booted fine again, I accesses the BIOS menu, and was then able to change the clock. I hit F10 to save, then the screen went black and never came back. Same crap as before. I cycled power 10 times and it would not boot. I yanked the motherboard and power supply from the case and connected only one stick of RAM and the monitor (using a VGA cable this time). It booted up fine then asked for a boot device (because I did not have a HDD connected). I powered down, connected a HDD then tried to reboot. Nothing. Fans running, black screen. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. BTW, I nearly burned my finger on this chip. It was extremely hot. A quick part number search says it is a RealTek audio codec chip. Something tells me that my speakers not working and this chip being abnormally hot are likely related. Think I'll desolder the chip from the MB to see if this is causing my issues. Nothing to lose at this point. If it does happen to fix it, I'll just buy a cheap PCI audio card in its place.

Name:  20150221_002945.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  38.5 KB

Last edited by mossman; 02-20-15 at 10:13 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: