Windows 8.1 Re Install

Old 02-19-15, 10:32 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Windows 8.1 Re Install

Since I installed the new SSD on my Asus laptop I have not been very happy with the OS and I plan to re install. Main reasons are:

Very sluggish performance of the existing HDD (previously it was an excellent disk)
Random “the recycle bin is corrupt” messages
The windows updates and installer not working properly (get often updates failed and installer is not working messages)
My admin account is locked (as per Belarc advisor). That's why it was not accepting my password
Access2010 not easily accessible as per my previous thread

Besides the above reasons I feel that having two similar OS, one on the SSD and one on the existing HDD is not a good idea

In preparation for the re install I made 2 complete backup copies with Macrium of both hard disks and have installed the Macrium PE on my external USB drive. I have done before OS install / re install but then I had a CD/DVD but now the only OS copy I have is located on my HDD and I have copied to my external USB HDD. The only problem I see is the product key which I will eventually need for the re install and as per Belarc the key shown on its report may be the manufacturer’s key and not necessarily the MS OS key. I followed a procedure Belarc provides to recover the MS OS key and I input the key shown on the report and I got the message “Thanks, you’re all done”.

I don’t know what this message means, I was expecting either the key is correct or wrong and besides when I bought my laptop I never got any docs with it neither the key is indicated anywhere on the back / front of my laptop. Anyone knows how to get this key from the registry?

Old 02-19-15, 10:48 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Press the Windows key and then Pause/Break to bring up the System Information screen, which will show your current key.

Old 02-19-15, 07:23 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Besides the above reasons I feel that having two similar OS, one on the SSD and one on the existing HDD is not a good idea.
I agree with that.

Anyone knows how to get this key from the registry?
Yes, you need (don't laugh) The Magic Jelly Bean Key Finder.

I said don't laugh.

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: