Installing Printer Problem

Old 02-23-15, 11:41 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Installing Printer Problem

I have not been able to install my Epson NX230 printer after a clean install of windows 8.1. The printer is wireless connected to my other 2 PC’s and is working and before the clean install it was working on this laptop.

I use a download I have from Epson because my installation DVD does not have the latest driver. The installation starts with the scanner install and when it’s complete I get the message “problem with the install, reboot and try again”. I reboot and the same message appears however when I click ok on the message the install says "the printer driver will now be installed". It does its thing, then is searching for the printer, finds the network printer, install the software and at the end it says “unable to install the driver”

I also tried with the original installation DVD, and using my user/admin account and safe mode but nothing works.

Any ideas?

Old 02-23-15, 11:07 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Have you tried uninstalling the printer and then re-installing it? Also just like with some anti-virus programs there may be a special uninstall program that just your printer manufacturer has that will remove all traces of the bad install. It kind of sounds like a corrupted installer maybe this download was bad and perhaps the manufacturer has a new disk with the latest drivers they could send you. Just a few thoughts of what I think might possibly be wrong I certainly would check with Epson and see what they think.

Old 02-24-15, 05:20 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
With some Epsons you have to install it wired first, then you can change it to wireless. It's really annoying.

Old 02-24-15, 05:34 AM
I did what you say hedgeclippers and more. I got a new download, removed anti-virus and firewall, took ownership of the Install and Temp folders, uninstall the previous Epson half install but no luck. I also run the command SFC /scannow and windows found / repaired some corrupt files and again no luck. I also did what Pulpo said

But I think the problem is with my user account: I noticed on the windows file explorer under the Users directory I have these directories. Administrator, Nick (that is my first name), and Public. I never made a Nick user account and don’t know how this got in there plus there should also be a Gust account in there which is not.

In the control panel under User Account I have MyAsus which is the account I created and I use daily and the Guest account.I also have the administrator account which I see only after I run the command (….active:yes). There is no Nick account here !

I try to delete the Nick account from the Users directory with some registry hacks I found on the web and the system crashed and I was lucky since I made a restore point just before and so I was back and running in no time

So I think I’m heading for a new windows install and that’s frustrating because I had configured the system the way I wanted and the printer was the last thing to do because in the past it has been so easy to do. But after the new install, the printer will be the first to install LOL

Old 02-24-15, 05:50 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Before you do all that, what error messages are you getting? Did you try to print a test page after the install? I never had to reinstall an OS to install a printer. That doesn't make any sense.

Old 02-24-15, 07:15 AM
I would like to agree with you Pulp but I’m afraid it’s not possible

After my many tries I used to get the message AFTER the download did its job “printer driver is not installed, reboot and install the driver”. I did that but I can’t install the driver which is inside the download. But now all I get when I click the download is “Printer package can’t be installed”

I’m sure it has to do with my user account because when I boot and I come to the login screen, the only accounts shown are MyAsus and the Guest. So I pick MyAsus, type the password and now I’m logged into this account. But when I try to install the printer, perhaps I’m wrong, but I think the install program knows the account I’m logged and tries to install the files into that directory. But this directory does not exist since in the windows file explorer the only users directory is “Nick” and therefore the printer install stops. I never created a Nick user account and I don’t know how it got there

So I think the next step is to re install windows but still searching just in case

Old 02-24-15, 08:16 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
The files don't get installed into the user's directory, they get installed into c:\progra~1\epson.

If you think that the myasus user doesn't have permission to install the printer, you maybe correct. The Guest account is supposed to be disabled so forget about that. Open users in the control panel. What accounts are listed & do any of them have administrator rights?

Then press the Windows key & the letter R. In the run box, type lusrmgr.msc & press enter. Open the users folder in the left pane. What users are listed in the right pane? Is Nick there?

Lastly: open the C: drive. Go to program files & look for the epson folder. Right click on it & left click on security. Try to give myasus or nick, whomever is there, Full Control by hightlighting the user name, clicking edit & then full control.

Old 02-24-15, 11:52 AM
Thanks for your time Pulpo

I agree that the files don’t get installed into the user’s directory

In the control panel / users account I only have the account “MyAsus” with admin privileges and password protected and the Guest. MyAsus is also the account shown when I boot and I get the screen to sign in. There is no “Nick” account on that screen

I think you must have windows Pro because when I run the command lusrmgr.msc I get the new window opened but it says “This snap in may not be used with this edition of windows 8.1. To manage user accounts for this PC use the users account in the control panel.”

I also did give full control on the Epson folders in both program files directories and try to install the Epson package and said the same thing “The printer package cannot be installed”. Then I tried with the DVD again which run properly but at the end it said “the printer driver cannot be installed”

But looking in my notes which I made during the windows clean install I noticed other problems which confirms to me that the bloody “Nick” directory under the Users directory creates many problems. First I looked in my backups and I do have “MyAsus” directory where “Nick” is installed now and “Nick” is not there. Then I had some Asus utilities which I could not install and I did not bother at the time plus I could not change the pictures on my start screen or user account. All this confirm to me that I do need the MyAsus directory instead of the Nick directory

Old 02-24-15, 02:39 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
There is another way to get there. Control Panel, administrative tools, local users & groups, open the users folder. Double click on myasus. go to the memberof tab. Make sure that it says Administrators. If not click Add, type in Administrators, click apply & ok. If it already says Administrators, click add & type users, click apply & ok. Reboot & try the install one more time.

Old 02-24-15, 06:33 PM
It is all done and only took less than 30 minutes to format the C:\ and install a fresh windows 8.1.

The Asus Backtracker is a restore utility only for Asus PC’s and it’s a quite good one because it guides you to copy the OS into a USB and tells you in details how to restore. The first time I did the install I pressed the escape key during the boot and then I choose the USB, then it format my SSD and HDD and installed the OS into the SSD (C. Today by accident I run the utility from within windows and now it gave a few options which I liked. The 1st option is to format both disks yes or no and I said NO and so I kept all the programs I had on my D: The 2nd option was to refresh the OS or perform a clean install and I choose the clean install

It took less than 30 minutes and then the OS started to configure itself and ask me question. One of the questions was if I want to have the OS to search my network for installed devices and I said yes. Well it picked my Epson printer and it is now installed and working. Perhaps last week when I did my 1st install the printer was OFF but today by accident I had left it ON.

I now have a new user account with admin privileges and this account has a directory under the User directory like it supposed to be. I was able now to choose the pictures I want for my user account and start screen and before these function did not work because I had no files directory with my user account.

I spent 3 days trying to fix the printer problem but now I’m happy because I learned the importance of the User account

Thank you for the help

Old 02-24-15, 06:44 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Only 30 minutes? That's pretty good. I never did an install that fast.

Old 02-24-15, 06:55 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Gee after all that, I thought name of the thread was about installing a "printer problem" and not a problem with installing a printer. I thought I going to see something different than the discussion.

I guess, sometimes the thread names can be taken different ways and can end up being interpreted wrong.

Dick

Old 02-24-15, 08:26 PM
H
That is great news Kolias I am not sure if you tried System Restore or not but you probably did. I had trouble losing my Lexmark printer with Windows 7 and used System Restore several times. I never did figure out what caused it although at one time I had AVG on my computer and it froze my mouse and keyboard so that might have been the culprit. This too even after an uninstall of AVG, luckily that is all behind me now and everything works fine for me. I agree with Pulpo that was a fast install for Windows probably more like a repair than an actual install.

Old 02-24-15, 10:37 PM
It's the SSD guys that makes it fast. The SSD is my C:\ drive and its only for the OS, Office2013 and Access2010. It is only 128GB and the OS, Office 2013 and Access takes 36.6GB space so I have lots of space for the MS Updates.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: