Start Up Programs

Old 02-26-15, 04:14 PM
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Start Up Programs

I like to know what programs are running and loading during my start up and I think I have too many right now. Using the Glary utility I have:

Start-up (2) I know them and need them
Scheduled Tasks (18) I know none of them but looks like they all are related to Asus, MS, and Office
Plug-Ins (1) Windows Enhanced Storage Shell extension DLL x64
Application Services (13) I know none but looks like they are related to Asus, Intel, Office
Windows Services (48)

Before I did the windows 8.1 re install, I remember I had the same for start-up and the plug-in but I did not have any under scheduled task or application services

Searching I found information what some of them are for but how do I know if I can remove them? Some are obvious but most are not

Anyone knows a better place to search so I can eliminate what I don’t need?

Old 02-26-15, 04:53 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I'm not an expert. (But i play one on the forums). Seriously, any Microsoft programs you most likely want to keep unless you know for sure what they are and you don't want them (for instance Microsoft Live).

If you go into the task manager and go to services you can turn them off without deleting them. Go to the status column and right click and change the status from Start to Stop.

Here is a sample of my computer.

There are also free download programs that will tell you what services are being started and what they do and if they are critical. I don't remember the names at the moment.

Old 02-26-15, 06:59 PM
Thanks Norm201, I know about the MS services and the only one I disabled is the Search since I have no need for it. There are perhaps other ones which I could disable but I would not worry very much about them. But the ones in the scheduled tasks and application services I'm sure that most if not all I should be able to get rid of them but would like to know more about them before I do so.

To me scheduled tasks is not something needed for the OS and the applications services perhaps they only are cosmetics?

Old 02-26-15, 08:41 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Keep in mind that there is a difference between start up programs & services that start when the OS boots. If you don't let any of the MS programs load into memory at boot time, they are still there for when you want them & it takes a load off of the memory. However, if you disable a service, it stays disabled.

Also, learn the difference between physical memory & virtual memory. Virtual memory is also called a page file by Windows & swap space by Unix & LInux OSes. These days, when a PC has a huge amount of physical memory, there is no need for a page file, in Windows. I prefer to set virtual memory, to system managed. It really helps the speed.

Old 02-27-15, 04:04 AM
Good to know Pulpo, thanks for your time

Old 02-27-15, 07:24 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
I find Google works pretty well for identifying these and telling you whether disabling is a good idea but that does get tedious after the first few.

Old 02-27-15, 09:36 AM
Yes Goodle works good but VERY tedious

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: