Wireless Ethernet Adapters

Old 02-26-15, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Wireless Ethernet Adapters

Anyone know of a wireless to ethernet plug adapter? I have a BR/DVD player that has network capability via ethernet. Since I'm in a rental, I can't drill holes and run cable from a router (which is what I had at my old place, but I would like to have the web capability to stream Netflix and such.

Player only has an ethernet jack, so I'm looking for something that just plugs in to that and will get WiFi when I buy the router.

I did a search, but maybe I was using the wrong terms. Couldn't find exactly what I wanted. Basically just a dongle.

Old 02-27-15, 03:30 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Try a Google search like this "ethernet to wifi adapter". Or

How to get your Ethernet-only gadgets on your home network - CNET

Old 02-27-15, 06:03 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vic I did a search for you and I found a device that I think will work well and it is fairly highly rated by those who bought it. It is made by IOgear and you have to teach it first about your network on your computer and then it can be moved anywhere in your place and used with any device that only works with an ethernet cable. Here is the link from Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Univers...hernet+adapter . Not real cheap but not too expensive either.

I did notice that you probably will have to buy extra ethernet cable just long enough to reach the blu ray player from the device. So be sure to measure and then buy some cable too.

Old 02-27-15, 06:45 AM
M
What you are looking for is generally called a wireless bridge however over the years the functionality has been merged with other devices.

Many many choices out there with various levels of cost.

I have in the past used a Netgear version to link an entire wired home network to a 3G wireless MIFI device in the event of a cable outage.

Some wifi extenders also come with an ethernet port as well - so you get the added benefit of extending your wifi plus you get the ethernet port as well.

So really it comes down to functionality required:
-> How many ports do you need ?
-> b/g/n band ?
-> Wifi Extender as well ?

Mick999

Old 02-27-15, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator
Hmm...that IOGEAR thing looks like just what I need. And I have some Amazon credit still. I also see on that page similar items from Netgear. Since my modem is Netgear as will be the router I imagine, maybe I'll go with that.

This won't be immediate, I have plenty of other stuff to take care of first, but in the near future for sure.

Thanks everyone.

Old 02-27-15, 10:33 AM
H
Received 292 Upvotes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by GunGuy45

Anyone know of a wireless to ethernet plug adapter?

I have a BR/DVD player that has network capability via ethernet.

Player only has an ethernet jack, so I'm looking for something that just plugs in to that and will get WiFi when I buy the router.
What you are describing is a wireless bridge. (Could also use a powerline adapter)

If you have an old wifi router around, if it runs dd-wrt firmware, the old router can be hacked into a wireless bridge, extender or repeater.
- Difference are whether you want access to internet, local lan, and/or repeat the wifi signal.

I use an old Linksys wrt54g (worth about $8 bucks), that has dd-wrt firmware loaded on it
to function as a wifi bridge/access point to cover the 150 feet from the house to the garage.

Last edited by Hal_S; 02-27-15 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-27-15, 11:56 AM
H
Hal_S has a great idea you can usually find old routers at GoodWill stores or any other place like that. Some them work with wireless N too. The only thing though that might be a problem is a router sends and receives too and to my knowledge I don't think you can shut off just the send part but have to turn off both. That would leave you with the same wire problem. My knowledge of routers though is not as good as it should be so I can't say for sure but it is worth looking into to see if it might work.

Old 02-27-15, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah, I guess that might be doable, but I'm kinda restarting my life and really don't want something old that I have to do a bunch of tricks with to make it sit up and beg.

Like I said, I have amazon credits that need to be used somewhere.

Old 02-27-15, 01:09 PM
H
Received 292 Upvotes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by GunGuy45

I ... don't want something old that I have to do a bunch of tricks with to make it sit up and beg.
Eh, installing dd-wrt on an old router isn't that bad.
If you're getting a new router anyway, turning the old one into a bridge is a good complement.

If you're looking for something sniny-new, you might check into something for android phone:
an OTG phone to usb adapter, and a usb to ethernet adapter.

Now, If you just want to connect one device and have it work, I'd go with a powerline adapter,
perhaps a gigabit power line adapter.
Idea is, all the network wiring you could ever want came pre-installed in the building, with connections in every room. It's just made of copper, and you think of it as hot-neutral-ground.

If you want something new, I'd look into android OTG to usb adapter and usb to gigabit adapters
- turn your phone's wireless N capability into a wired gigabit ethernet connection.
If you want to reuse your old router, check on dd-wrt.
If you just want it to work, and just want to run 1 thing, I'd suggest the powerline option, but go with gigabit for future scalability.

Old 02-27-15, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator
I don't have ANY router right now, Hal. That stayed at wifes place, since she uses her laptop all over the house.

Don't have a cell and if I did, it won't be a smartphone. I just can't stand those things. Too big, too much crap on them. I use a phone to talk to people, no texting, no GPS, no Web surfing, none of that. And every one I've ever been forced to use has crappy sound, even the fancy ones. I'm just stuck in my ways.

I thought about the powerline stuff, but some that I saw take over the whole outlet and I may in the future get a smart TV with ethernet or wireless, so I think I'm going that route.

Old 02-27-15, 07:52 PM
H
If you do go with a new tv many internet connected tv's come with an antenna but some don't so it pays to look at the reviews online. As to wire line devices I would steer clear of them I have heard of many bad reviews and I agree with you they are not good. Not only do they take up space as you said but they lose the signal.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: