How do you use Intel’s VT-d ?

Old 02-28-15, 04:32 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
How do you use Intel’s VT-d ?

Working recently in my laptop I noticed in the BIOS the entry “VT-d” (Enabled) and searching I found this entry is for the Intel’s virtualization technology for direct I/O

I use VMware to run XP Pro in my Windows 8.1 laptop but can I use the VT-d to do the same?

If not, is there any benefit to disable the VT-d ?

Old 02-28-15, 05:23 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
https://software.intel.com/en-us/art...-of-io-devices

According to that site VT-d enhances the performance of VMWare or whatever VM software you use by regulating DMA. That's direct memory access. It is not a separate program that's used in place of VMWare. If you disable it, your VM may not run as well.

Old 02-28-15, 01:40 PM
F
Received 49 Upvotes on 37 Posts
AFAIK, it's of no benefit to anything that doesn't require it, and XP does not require it. And unless I'm mistaken, Win8.2 (sometimes euphemistically referred to as Win10) is the first Windoze OS that won't run in any virtual environment that isn't supported by either VT-x or AMD-V.

Old 02-28-15, 03:27 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I don't think it's a question of what's running inside the VM. It's a question of how the VM, itself uses the input output & memory. In Kolia's case, it's VMWare. In other words, it's VMWare not XP is running, in the sandbox. VT-d is basically creating the sandnox. If you need an explanation of sandbox, either let me know or do a Google search for sandboxie. That's a proprietary sandbox that's used with Windows.

Old 02-28-15, 07:36 PM
I found the same link Pulpo but was too complicated for my and that's why I post the question here. The way I understand now I better leave the VT-d enable as it is from factory

Old 02-28-15, 07:40 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Good idea Kolias! I'm glad you posted the question though because I learned something as well.

Old 03-01-15, 05:46 AM
We always learn Pulpo and to me that's exiting.......

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: