Question about Previous Windows Installations

Old 03-06-15, 09:13 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question about Previous Windows Installations

When I build my computer last year, I installed Windows 7. I don't remember why, but I would up installing it a few times.

While the WINDOWS.OLD folders have been removed, whenever I boot my computer, I'm still asked which OS I want to use, and it gives me WINDOWS 7, WINDOWS 7, & WINDOWS 7 as options.

Now, yes, if I don't hit Enter, it will automatically select the first one, but is there any way to just eliminate the other 2 options, or is this the way it will always be?

Thanks!

Old 03-06-15, 11:13 AM
Lightbulb

Option A: Open a run command by holding the Windows key and pressing "r" at the same time. In the box type msconfig and press Enter. The second tab is called "Boot." Go there, select the Windows 7 options not denoted as "Current OS" and then use the Delete button below.

Option B: Go to Start menu > Right-click on Computer > Properties > Advanced Settings (left column) > Advanced tab > Settings (from the Startup and Recovery section). Choose the operating system you want and uncheck the Time to display List of operating systems.

Old 03-06-15, 11:27 AM
C
Thanks a ton! The first option worked like a charm. I didn't even think to look there.

Old 03-06-15, 11:34 AM
Cool

I do IT support professionally and the msconfig menu is pretty handy. If your computer is ever slow go there and look at the last two tabs, Startup and Tools.

In Startup, check to hide the Microsoft services. Then uncheck anything remaining unless it pertains to your anti-virus or a driver application you installed. In tools do the same, but you won't need to hide Microsoft services; they can also be unchecked safely from this menu.

These startup functions are typically updaters that just eat-up processing power in the background waiting to actually run. If your applications need updated it will usually say when you run the program or you can use a reliable update consolidator like Ninite. The updaters will readd themselves to Startup and Tools overtime as you do updates or run the programs they're associated with, so going in to msconfig to check every few months can help keep your computer running well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: