Microsoft Money files didn't transfer

Old 03-06-15, 07:57 PM
W
Received 41 Upvotes on 37 Posts
Microsoft Money files didn't transfer

I have a version of Microsoft Money that the files did not transfer over to my new computer from the old one at the store where I bought it. There were only 3 or four things that I need that didn't come over, and this one has records back to 2006 that I do not want to lose if my old computer crashes. How can I bring those records over to my new computer myself? My Turbo Tax was another one that didn't make it either. I can reload and start over but not excited about doing that either.

Old 03-06-15, 08:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
I'm not the expert but I know you need to reload the program from scratch and transfer the files over from your old computer. You need to find out what the files are called in the old computer. Looks like the files are .mny

Found this interesting article in the microsoft database.
How to find your "My Money.MNY" data file for Money

For turbotax.... https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/19...ile-in-windows

There are some knowledgeable computer people here and they'll stop in and offer help too.

Old 03-06-15, 08:28 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Follow the instructions on the site that PJmax posted, to locate the files but instead of trying to transfer them to the new PC, put it on a USB drive first. Then move it to the new PC. You shouldn't have to reinstall any programs.

Do you understand the wild card search? *.mny for example searches for any file with the .mny file extension. That works with any file extension. Once you find it, copy it to a USB drive by drag & drop or by command line.

Old 03-06-15, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Be careful with money files. The program is very particular as to which file it uses and which files are used as backup. I would save any money files from old computer as Pulpo said. THEN, I would save another copy that wouldn't be touched until you confirm new computer/money can access the files.

Old 03-07-15, 03:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Check, also to make sure the version of money you have is compatible with your OS. I cloned my old computer to a Passport and transferred what I wanted to my new computer. Quickbooks 2005 works great on my XP but not on 8.1. I either have to upgrade my program or relegate the old computer to Quickbooks. I googled "Quickbooks 2005 Windows 8.1" to find out the compatibility.

Old 03-07-15, 09:16 AM
W
Received 41 Upvotes on 37 Posts
Thanks Pete,
I am still using the old computer for now until tax season is over, (I loaded Turbo tax off its original disk just in case into the NEW Computer. I have an "expert" in the family I can lean on for the Money Transfer if I can get him away from the "games"

Thanks for the leads!

Bill

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: