Brand name ink vs generic

Old 03-22-15, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
Brand name ink vs generic

I need to buy ink for my Canon printer MG6320, and I wanted to get the XL size. It needs 6 of them and the cost for the brand name is $112!!!
So, Amazon has a seller selling all 6 (not each) for $6.39 + free shipping, for generic cartridges. What a major difference. Has good reviews, too.
Anyone know how the generics are these days? I don't want junk and don't want problems with my printer.

Old 03-22-15, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I almost always bought generic or house brand ink (if I needed it RIGHT NOW) and never had any problems using them. Sometimes the colors might be a bit different, but if I really needed it to be perfect, I'd take it to one of the office stores and have them print it.

Actually, I finally trashed my ink jet and bought a laser, cheaper, better B&W printing, faster, etc. If I need color, I send it to the office store via the 'Net and pick it up later.

Old 03-22-15, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
OK, thanks, Vic! May as well give it a try for that big price difference. Nothing much to lose.

Old 03-22-15, 11:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
The biggest issue I had with ink jets was the cartridge drying up before it was all used. The generics weren't any better or worse, just cheaper. Like Vic, I switched to a laser b&w printer. 2-3 yrs later the original cartridge is still going strong

Old 03-22-15, 11:08 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I agree with Vic Becky just make sure you look them over real well before installing them as sometimes they can leak. If the printer has a fair amount of age and no warranty then would be the time I would buy generic. With good reviews though it sounds good and the price is good too!

Old 03-22-15, 11:15 AM
D
The printer companys give the printers away so they can rape you buying the ink. When I had one I also had the problem of the ink drying out if not used every day. My black and white laser printer cartridge lasts about 3 years and the cartridge cost about $80.

Old 03-22-15, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator
Thanks, guys! I went ahead and ordered them. The printer's about 2 or 3 years old, but out of warranty. You can get a new one for $69! Definitely less than the ink.
It's an air printer, so it works with all my computers and devices, and it was also a gift, so won't be getting rid of it til it breaks. Will keep the laser in mind for next time, tho.

Old 03-22-15, 11:51 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Generic ink is OK. The biggest problem is not using you printer enough. It should be used at least once a week.

Old 03-22-15, 02:53 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
The printer companys give the printers away so they can rape you buying the ink.
I agree. I have an HP printer/copier/scanner that I got for an additional penny when I bought a computer many years ago. It is a great machine BUT the cost of the ink cartridges is horrendous and HP never goes on sale.

I bought a Samsung laser printer about five years ago and that is my primary printer. I don't actually print that much so the ink jets are problematic from drying out. My HP printer hasn't been used in over a year and I should try it to see if it even works.

I also have a very nice Canon that stopped working several years ago stating it had a paper jam although I could never find it. Maybe I can work on it as well. Honestly, I would seriously consider a color laser printer if they didn't cost so much compared to an ink jet.

Old 03-22-15, 04:18 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
At Christmas time many printers go on sale for about $20 to $49 bucks. I usually buy two (or three at the $20 price). When the ink is done I throw out the printer and open a new one. At that price I'll spend between $60 and $100 for ink and printer combined. I'll play their game with their rules and win. Trying fix a printer is just an exercise in futility. Not worth the time or effort.

Old 03-22-15, 07:44 PM
H
Trying fix a printer is just an exercise in futility. Not worth the time or effort.
I agree Norm I bought a used printer a while back and started working on it but gave up on it. I probably will toss the printer in the trash but keep the power supply in case someone might want to buy it on e-bay. The ink had leaked into the printer and just destroyed it and I couldn't clean it up which is why I am hesitant to use generic ink. I also would never use a refill kit it destroyed another printer I had a long time ago.

Old 03-24-15, 05:44 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I see that you ordered the ink already but I'll mention that I despise Sears but the have good deals on ink.

Old 03-24-15, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
OK, thanks. I checked out Sears and looks like they have sellers now. One selling OEM's, was slightly cheaper and others were charging twice as much!
But another alternative tho, that I didn't know about.

Old 03-25-15, 12:17 PM
Update,

MY Printer update:

I deleted my printer download installation,and re-installed the software disk supplied.

special thanks to Shadedladie.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: