Moving Microsoft Money to new computer

Old 03-24-15, 10:01 AM
W
Received 41 Upvotes on 37 Posts
Moving Microsoft Money to new computer

I bought a new computer (Lenovo thinkpad) The store moved most of the files from my old Toshiba Laptop (Techra) 2007 but I took it back because microsoft MONEY did not come over. They said it was fixed but I picked it up and when I got it home, Money was there but required a password to open it. The store said the old password should open it but no matter what I do, I cannot get it to take the old password, and don't know how to change to a new one. The store told me to save the program to a flash drive and move it over myself (they said it HAS to bring the password over with it) I did that, and it still requires a password other than the one on the old computer. (Thankfully the old one still works) but I need this on the new computer It is money version 2006 if you need that.
Thanks for any help!

Old 03-24-15, 10:22 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Never used Money but is the version you have compatible with the OS on the new machine?

Old 03-25-15, 12:24 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Have you tried to use the password "password".

I've used MS Money for over 20 years and have always been able to retrieve the files.

Let me know if that works, if not I'll check on some other options.

I like the program as far as working with it, but do not like the way it manages files.

Old 03-25-15, 08:26 AM
W
Moving MS Money

No luck entering "password" I'm just amazed there isnt a way to change or create a "new" password

Thanks for the ideas!

WML 13

Old 03-25-15, 04:45 PM
W
Moving Money to a new Computer

I took both computers back to the store. The team there had inadvertently installed Money version 2002 from a disc I had in the bag on the new computer. When I tried to install the program from the old computer from the Flash drive, it was version 2006 that was originally installed in the old computer not 2002. We thought about just buying a Version 2006 disc and replacing the data, but they got on their computer and downloaded a free upgrade for Money 2006 so it would accept the older data from the flash drive by replacing the 2002 files, and I am up an running for free.
We could see the upgrade basically remove the 2002 files and replace them right there on the screen. I was very happy, and I heard them say when they thought I was out of earshot that they were going to write down this little fix for the future! All good stuff, write it down!

WML13

Old 03-25-15, 05:46 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Good Info,

Like I said, I've used Money for many years and it's a strange one as far as file management.

Trust me, people will be looking for fixes and you provided a good one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: