Need Outlook 2010 rules help, need to COPY to folder and not delete from Inbox

Old 03-26-15, 10:21 AM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need Outlook 2010 rules help, need to COPY to folder and not delete from Inbox

The corporation deletes all emails older than 60 days, therefore I need to archive emails. My first thought was to create folders for contacts and then create a rule to move inbox messages to the individual folders, only the Inbox gets deleted. That was all well and good with one exception, my mobile device only reads the inbox, therefore a message hits the inbox and is instantly transferred to the individual folder and it then will not show up on my phone.

I surely don't want to create a ton of new folders on my phone, therefore I'm looking to create a rule that COPIES messages from the inbox to individual folders while leaving it in my inbox. Any suggestions?

Windows 7, 64 bit, Outlook 2010.

THANKS!

Old 03-26-15, 12:43 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Suppose you made a rule to forward all incoming emails to a private email address? Then you can do what you want, when you want.

Old 03-27-15, 09:15 AM
Z
Received 121 Upvotes on 112 Posts
HotRod I don’t have Outlook so I can’t verify this, but if I understand your requirement in Step 1 of the Rules Wizard -> “ Step 1: Select Action(s)”, you can choose the “move a copy to the specified folder” option. Supposedly that will leave the email in your Inbox and just put a copy in the indicated folder.

Old 03-28-15, 07:57 AM
Z
Received 121 Upvotes on 112 Posts
Whoops, I think I may have missed Pulpo’s point, I assume you aren’t violating corporate policy.

Old 03-28-15, 09:06 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
The OP never returned anyway. I figured that if he sent the emails to his private account, he would be free of any restrictive policies. AOL used to do that, in the early days. I hope that he didn't get fired.

Old 03-29-15, 07:55 AM
J
I use outlook 2013 and do almost the same thing. The first thing you need to accomplish is making a new .pst file. You may or may not be able to if you are connected to an Exchange Server and the Mail admins of locked down the ability to create another .pst file. I'll give you the instructions for "If you can". If you can't. You'll have to find another route. However, forwarding corporate email off to an offsite account is 99% not allowed.

1) The .pst file - Create the .pst file as per the standard instructions. Put the .pst file on your local computer. Once created, it should show up in your outlook folder.

2) The rule - Go to an email that you receive from someone and generate the rule. As soon as the pop up box to make the rule appears. Go to "Advanced Options" in the lower right hand corner. When you get to the point to what to do with the email. Select "Move a (copy) to". Then select what folder in your new .pst file you want it to go to and whala. Only a copy of the email will go off your exchange server to your personal .pst file and the original will remain.

This is also based on you are NOT using a thin client. Ie. Citrix, Terminal Server, or RDP.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: