malware and anti virus programs experiences

Old 03-27-15, 06:31 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question malware and anti virus programs experiences

Appreciate any experiences, comparisons or views on Avast free version versus Malwarebytes Anti Malware, Windows Security Alerts or others? Using expensive preloaded program on pc, its going away soon and need a good replacement.

Any help. comments appreciated

Old 03-27-15, 06:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
I used the free version of Avast and am well satisfied with it. The free malwarebytes is good also.

Old 03-27-15, 07:34 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Avast free works well enough and it's free. In the past couple years they seem to have stepped up the number of pop-ups you get offering upgrades (for a fee) and other services. So while it used to be great it has become a bit more annoying... but it's free. I currently use paid Symantec on my office computers which also works well and it's nice that it really doesn't make it's presence known like Avast does.

Old 03-27-15, 11:06 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Avast free is what I use. AVG is another good free choice.

I use Anti-Malwarebytes on occasion as well.

Old 03-27-15, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
I use the free Avast, too plus I like Windows Defender (comes with Win8) or Microsoft Essentials for other versions, for virus protection, and I use Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware for malware along with SpyBot. They all seem to find different things and best, they're all free!

Old 03-27-15, 02:51 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
AVG is another good free choice.
I kind of question AVG.

They put out a tool bar called AVG secure search tool bar and this thing is nothing but malware. Once installed it's extremely difficult to remove. It lets you THINK it's uninstalled yet continues to run in the back ground.

For software which is supposed to remove malware and guard your computer, it does exactly the opposite.
AVG Secure Search Security Toolbar is malware, avoid it more than the plague | Reviews, news, tips, and tricks | dotTechdotTech

AVG Security Toolbar is the worst foistware I've ever seen | ZDNet

I've been using spybot search and destroy along with Comodo internet security premium firewall for a number of years now with no issues.

Old 03-27-15, 02:56 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I use AVG and have for the last several years. When you install it you are given the OPTION of also installing that search toolbar. I never have.

NEVER install add-on tool bars from ANY source as they all will slow down the computer and are a potential problem.

Been there, done that and paid the price.

Old 03-27-15, 04:23 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Or just don't use Windows. Apple, Linux or even BSD are much safer. While they could have a virus even without an AV they are safer then Windows with AV and AMW software. Some versions of Linux are arguably even easier to use then Windows.

Old 03-27-15, 05:14 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I cant help you on Avast, but as others have mentioned, I use AVG & Malwarebytes & have for probably 10+ years & I have obviously... been satisfied with both.

I also use the manual install option & I deselect all the add on's, so I don't have the tool bars etc..

Good luck...

Old 03-27-15, 07:36 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I haven't used an anti virus, for years. I use anti malware (that's the real name) from malwarebytes.org Anti Virus software depends on knowing about the virus by it's "signature" & the signature can't be known until many machines are affected. I also use MJ Registry Watcher to lock my registry. Not all malware has to lodge itself it the registry but it helps block some of what does. Malware in the registry is an executable & what doesn't need the registry is a script. I use No Script in Firefox, to help with that. Avast & Norton take over your machine. A uninstall program has to be downloaded to remove them. I don't like that either. Those are just some basics.

Edit: For Unix & Linux, use Root Kit Hunter. Mac OSX has a Unix terminal in it. RK Hunter may work there too. I don't know.

Old 03-27-15, 08:23 PM
B
Or just don't use Windows. Apple, Linux or even BSD are much safer.
Well, that's kind of easier said than done. You have to buy an entire new machine in order to use Apple (which in itself is not immune to malware), and Linux is still way too far behind in the driver world to be depended upon.

While it is true Windows gets picked on quite a bit more by various hackers and malware pushers, it is still by far the most universally accepted OS, and once you get into the more specialized software (like ALLDATA for example) Linux and Apple just don't cut it.

Old 03-27-15, 08:47 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Linux is still way too far behind in the driver world to be depended upon.
Any proof of that? A legitimate cite for that?

Old 03-27-15, 09:08 PM
B
Any proof of that? A legitimate cite for that?
Sure. Try finding any linux based software/drivers for ASIO audio drivers, the soundblaster ZXR audio card or any of the M audio cards.

M-Audio - USB Audio and MIDI Interfaces

I couldn't even get full function from my Canon all in one scanner/disc printer/printer.

Don't get me wrong... Linux has a great database of generic drivers, but if you step off the beaten path.... good luck.

Old 03-27-15, 09:30 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
You are correct about the driver problem. However, it can probably be solved if you load Windows in a Virtual Machine on a Linux host.

ALLDATA -- auto mechanic?

Old 03-27-15, 10:13 PM
B
You are correct about the driver problem. However, it can probably be solved if you load Windows in a Virtual Machine on a Linux host
Won't work. ASIO is a driver set which allows you to communicate directly with the sound card. You have to have that for detailed sound work. It can not communicate directly through a virtual machine.

ALLDATA -- auto mechanic?
correct.

Old 03-28-15, 03:47 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I knew some gas station owners & mechanics who had a hacked version of ALLDATA & there was no way to find the person who sold it to them. When the computer had viruses & other problems, I couldn't do a clean install. It would have been called NODATA.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: