Remove McAfee

Old 03-30-15, 07:00 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 1 Post
Remove McAfee

I bought a new laptop with McAfee anti-virus pre-installed. It was a "trial version". Trial is over now, and they want me to subscribe (pay) in order to keep using it. I prefer to use MSE, so I downloaded it. No problem.

Here's the problem - McAfee refuses to go away. I go into "Uninstall Programs" to remove, and it always says I can't remove it until the computer (Win 8.1) finishes running another "un-install". (There is no other un-install running.)

Any advice?

Old 03-30-15, 07:05 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
us.mcafee.com/apps/supporttools/mcpr/mcpr.asp

Download the removal tool Most AV programs require their removal tool, to uninstall them. I despise AV programs.

Old 03-30-15, 08:56 AM
H
I agree with Pulpo use McAfees removal tool it usually is the best way of getting rid of it. I recently bought two laptops one was used and the other had never been used and both had Norton on them. I had to use Nortons uninstall program to get rid of it completely. I also agree that I hate those paid programs too they are a real pain to deal with.

Old 03-30-15, 09:44 AM
L
Received 3 Upvotes on 1 Post
Thanks for the enlightenment.

Old 03-30-15, 11:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
My laptop came with McAfee's I didn't know about the removal tool and I was able to remove it with the program uninstall ..... but it took multiple attempts to get rid of it

Old 03-30-15, 12:24 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
I'm usually ok with the OS uninstall followed by a manual removal files and folders from the drive.

Pulpo's solution sounds like less work.

Old 03-30-15, 02:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Watch out, too when you update Adobe products. They come prechecked with the installation permission for McAfee products. You do NOT want them on your computer. Even if you are able to remove McAfee with resident uninstall tools, you will need to go through and remove anything with the name "McAfee" in it. Very difficult to remove.

Old 03-30-15, 08:46 PM
H
I had to go into the registry to make sure that everything was gone. It was time consuming but once it was done everything worked better and programs ran faster. I don't like doing it though if you make a mistake and haven't backed up the registry then you are in trouble.

Old 03-31-15, 12:38 PM
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I also despise AV programs especially when they are forced to you. The 1st thing I do on a new PC is to remove McAfee before it expires and never had a problem. I wonder why they are no regulations to prevent sites like CNET, Adobe etc which hide or make it so difficult to see what else is included in a download

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: