Gmail

Old 04-01-15, 05:10 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Gmail

Hi All, does gmail have a different looking format on windows than on an ipad?when I had Gmail on my PC I had options across the top where I could change font,color,emotions etc. but on my ipad all I have is basically to just send/receive emails,what am I missing?
Thanks
Geo

Old 04-01-15, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
A lot of things look different on an IPad, because they're often the mobile version. Some sites give you an option of using the PC version, but I don't see this in Gmail.

Old 04-01-15, 08:47 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
You can access all the same Gmail features but they are organized differently and because of the smaller screen not everything is sitting up at the top taking up space.

Old 04-01-15, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator
I use an IPad, PD, and I don't see any of the PC features. They are not there. Where are you finding them?

Old 04-01-15, 02:30 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Becky is that an Ipad mini or is it the full size version? I am thinking of requesting one from a shopping survey place and I can get one for free. I know the full version has wifi but I don't know if the mini would and also am wondering if you can use Google Chrome? I have laptops but if I am out of the house somewhere I don't want to haul around a heavy laptop to look over my e-mail. Which one would you suggest? I can get the mini now but would need more points to get the other one for free.

Old 04-01-15, 02:59 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Agreed I don't see anything either.
Geo

Old 04-01-15, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator
Richard, I have a full size IPad Air. I think you can get either with wifi or without. Not sure about Chrome, but I don't think you can use it. Safari's OK tho. I actually like that better than Chrome, anyway.

Old 04-01-15, 06:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I am on my Ipad and use Chrome. I also use Outlook with three email accounts (yes Hillary, you can do that ), so I don't know if it is different from a PC or not, since I actually don't interface with Gmail directly.

Old 04-01-15, 07:53 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hi All, does gmail have a different looking format on windows than on an ipad?when I had Gmail on my PC I had options across the top where I could change font,color,emotions etc. but on my ipad all I have is basically to just send/receive emails,what am I missing?
Thanks
Geo
Couple of factors...
Appple (IOS) is not quite the same as PC or Android. Its operating system is a bit more rigid and therefore programs which operate within are not quite as flexible. We have ipads, iphones and androids in the house, and the IOS operating system used on ipads/iphones are not realy built to be too customizable... at least not nearly as much as Android and PC

The other problem is that Google and Apple don't get along very well anymore. It's one of the reasons Apple got rid of google maps, started its own mapping program and removed native Youtube from iphones/ipads. As a result Google apps which depend on IOS subroutines are pretty bland because google isn't getting that much in the way of permissions from Apple.

Micorsoft is not quite as disliked by Apple, and I believe you can incorporate gmail into Outlook. Maybe try that route.

Old 04-02-15, 05:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
What features specifically are you looking for in Gmail?

Old 04-02-15, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator
Geo said he wants to be able to change the font, colors and add smilies. None of this is available in Gmail on an IPad. At least I can't find them. You have to use the default, which is plain and bland.

Old 04-02-15, 05:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
I don't think so but I don't think it's an iPad issue. I think it's the difference between the mobile and desktop versions of Gmail. I do not get those options with the mobile version of Gmail on my Android phone either.

This article may help though I don't have my iPad here to try it out.

Old 04-02-15, 03:46 PM
One thing I DO like about Gmail is it archives all my contacts in real time. If I have a failure or switch computers, all I have to do is log into Gmail and sync it with the new computer.

Old 04-02-15, 04:58 PM
H
That is interesting maybe I will not get an Ipad and get something else like an android tablet as I would like to be able to use Google Chrome. The reason being is because Google Chrome has HTML5 and can play Netflix videos so if the Ipad and Google don't work well together that isn't good. HTML5 would allow me to do surveys too without the need for flash player.

Old 04-02-15, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
Larry said he uses Chrome on his IPad. Never tried it, so didn't know.

Old 04-02-15, 05:13 PM
H
The thing that concerns me though is from what I am reading Chrome has limited functionality on the Ipad. I am not a fan of Apple products anyway but I have heard a few good things about the Ipad I think I can get an android tablet too which would be free so it is just a matter of deciding. Thank you for your help Becky and Larry!

Old 04-03-15, 07:21 AM
P
Group Moderator
I run Chrome on my Mac Book Air and it is the same as it is on my PC's or at least I haven't noticed any difference. I think the big difference is whether you're running the mobile version or not. Even if you get a Android tablet it would still probably run the mobile version though you might have more flexibility to force it to run the full version.

Old 04-03-15, 04:31 PM
I use Chrome on my MotoX (android), too. It is a mobile version, but I don't miss any functionality, since I only check up on things rather than typing dissertations on it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: