Yahoo Toolbar

Old 04-01-15, 01:17 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Yahoo Toolbar

OK, easy question, just realized that my daughters computer has only had internet explorer, so I upgraded her to Firefox. I got bombarded with Yahoo everything, opened up a couple of background pages as well. How to I get rid of the Yahoo toolbar? Been to options and unchecked everything except google. Went to edit toolbar and removed every annoying thing on the toolbar, but can't get rid of the toobar itself. It even tried to set yahoo as the default home page.

Home PC running windows vista (I refrain from capitalizing as it is a pos operating system)

Old 04-01-15, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
Sounds like you d/l FF from somewhere other than Mozilla.??
Download Adwcleaner and run it. Should get rid of that and the other junk, too.

AdwCleaner Download

Old 04-01-15, 01:55 PM
Could have sworn I went to Mozilla website and downloaded from there, but who knows these days.

Thanks for the reply, will go offline and run some malware programs.

Old 04-01-15, 02:48 PM
Figured it out, have to go to Add-ons, extensions, and disable or remove Yahoo.

But man, did they have a ton of malware on the system. Currently updating antivirus to run a deep scan on that end as well. Sort of like my wife's car - no maintenance until the engine starts ticking and its too late. That is why I have to test drive all cars and give the once over at least once a month. Looks like I'm adding computers to the list of duties.

Old 04-01-15, 02:50 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Actually no you went to Mozillas website it is just that I think that Google and Mozilla have had a bit of a parting of the ways. Not a complete break no as really some of Google base code is actually built into Firefox. Google though has their own proprietary HTML5 and I think Mozilla wanted a share but Google probably had wanted more money than what they wanted to put out. Now Mozilla has partnered with Adobe for their own version of HTML5 and has adopted Yahoo as there default. But you don't have to use Yahoo search I selected Bing because they give points for every search which turns into a free gift card.

I like Google though and Bing followed by Yahoo. I imagine you have found out that if you click on what looks like a magnifying glass at the very top that you can change search providers. The search box though stays as that is incorporated into the browser. Unlike IE though you can hack into the browser and even remove that probably in Developer but I have never hacked into Firefox to remove the search tool as I find it handy every once in a while.

Old 04-02-15, 03:36 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Side note: All toolbars are insecure.

Old 04-02-15, 05:36 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Interesting, Hedgeclippers, because Google owns Yahoo.

Old 04-02-15, 04:46 PM
H
Are you sure Rick I just did an internet search using Bing and from what I saw on Wikipedia a former Google executive was/is on the board but no mention of Google trying to buy Yahoo or owning Yahoo. A mention of Microsoft trying to buy Yahoo but a rejection of that offer by Yahoo's board of directors. No doubt though that eventually someone may buy them out as they are struggling financially. Here is the link to the Wikipedia article I read Yahoo! - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia! .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: