Web Monitor Temperature

Old 04-07-15, 01:54 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Web Monitor Temperature

Is there a way to remotely web monitor temperature of a home? Imagine being in FL for the winter and the home is in Iowa where the temp is below zero and the furnace fails for some reason other than a power failure. Primarily concerned with frozen water pipes.

Old 04-07-15, 02:20 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
most any wifi thermostat will display the current temp in your house on your cell phone or computer. Some even send you a warning email if the temp gets too low.

Old 04-07-15, 10:28 PM
H
As for thermostats I believe I saw a round thermostat on Ask This Old House made by Honeywell that has wifi. If you are concerned about flooding I know I have heard of monitors that will tell you if you have a water leak unfortunately I don't remember any names. They also make emergency shutoff valves that when they detect a leak they automatically shut the water off and some of those may be monitored too. The wifi thermostats work reasonably well but I have heard mixed reviews of the other things I mentioned.

Old 04-08-15, 05:50 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Of course the Iowa home would need to have a wifi network active while you are away. Many ppl shut down cable and landlines when a home sits vacant for months.

The "old school" method is to ask a neighbor to check on the house. There are thermostatic switches that will turn on a lamp in the window if the temp falls below a certain point.

I wish I had done that at my cottage before my boiler quit sometime in February causing my pipes to burst and pump split in half. Hindsight you know...

Old 04-08-15, 07:46 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Another idea is drain the system. Then it doesn't matter how cold it gets.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: