WIFI not working on ASUS Laptop

Old 04-16-15, 07:07 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
WIFI not working on ASUS Laptop

I had been on an extended vacation and just got back. I have an ASUS laptop running 64 bit Win 7 home premium with a I3 Intel CPU, 4 meg RAM, and 1 TB hard drive. I cannot get it to connect to WIFI. I and several others have tried to get it to connect. It will connect using a cable. One person said that I'm missing a dll file. All it says is that it can't find the "network adapter".
You guys have helped me in the past, and I greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Dinky

Old 04-16-15, 07:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Go into control panel, hardware and sound, devices and printers, device manager and then network adapters and see if it shows the driver. Is the driver there? Is it running or does it have a symbol next to it like a yellow circle or a red X?

Old 04-16-15, 07:54 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If there is an on off button for wifi, look at that first. If not, open the device manager. Click the plus sign next to network adapters. Is the adapter listed? Both adapters should be listed. Is there is a yellow exclamation point or red X there? Either way, double click on the wifi adapter & it will tell you if it's working or not. If the wifi adapter is not there at all, or a red X is there, try to reinstall it.

Old 04-16-15, 05:34 PM
I tried both suggestions from you guys. It showed 2. Atheros AR 8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller NDIS6.20 and Intel(R) WiFi Link 1000BGN. I didn't see any wifi button. I talked to one of my friends, and he said to try a system restore. I'm doing that now. I'll let you know if it will do the job. I still don't have wifi after the restore.

Old 04-16-15, 07:02 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
You have two choices. The first is download the intel driver detection tool from the following site:
Intel® Driver Update Utility

Run the detection program & let it find the driver that you need.

Or if you trust a 3rd party, download the driver directly from:

Download Intel WiFi Link 1000 BGN Driver 13.1.1.1 for Windows 7, Windows 7 64 bit - Softpedia

The idea is to reinstall the driver. If that doesn't work, I would buy a USB wireless adapter as a work around.

Click download on the right side of the page, extract the files & install the driver.

Old 04-16-15, 07:39 PM
H
Asus should have the driver for your wifi as I remember from when I bought my Asus laptop they had a drivers page. Are you looking in the right place to find out if it works? Here is a screen shot from my Dell Inspiron but it will look the same on your Asus Name:  device manager picture.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  21.2 KB

The picture isn't the greatest unfortunately but will help you find this in control panel under hardware and sound and then into device manager. See where the blue highlight is? That is where my wireless is listed and it has the same brand of Wireless controller. It should say this device is working properly when you click on it. Give me your complete model number and I will look it up tomorrow night, I can't do it during the day I have to take my mom to the eye doctor but will look into it later.

Old 04-17-15, 06:57 AM
I finally uninstalled the Intel WiFi 1000 BGN driver from ASUS and rebooted. It re-installed one start up, but it still will not work. I guess I'll have to get A wireless adapter and go that route. Many thanks for all the input.
dinky

Old 04-17-15, 07:03 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Try two more thing thing. Hold the windows key between the crtl & alt keys, pres the R key, type eventwvr.msc & press enter. Look at the application & system log files for errors. That should tell you what is happening. If you still can't determine the problem, run msconfig, disable all in the startup tab, click ok, reboot & click ok again. If that works, it means that something in the startup is conflicting with the wireless driver.

Old 04-17-15, 07:40 AM
H
I agree I am sure you have something blocking the driver and you should try what Pulpo says to try. There is a good diagnostic tool that I use to test used laptops and that is Puppy Linux which is an entirely different operating system. I wouldn't want you to install Puppy just make a copy and then run it as a live cd as the operating system itself is not that spectacular but great for testing your hardware.

Just like a real puppy though you need to give it commands but it will pick up on your wireless adapter you just may need to try different methods. If all of the methods fail then your wireless adapter is toast. Here is where you can find a download of Puppy Linux Puppy Linux Community Home - Getting Started . They can give you information on how to put this on USB or on disk.

Old 04-17-15, 07:53 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Hedgeclippers, I think that is too complicated for most people. Also, just because Linux sees the adapter doesn't mean that Windows will see it.

Old 04-17-15, 01:20 PM
H
I agree Pulpo it can be a bit complicated but Puppy Linux is about as easy a Linux to use. Where I respectfully disagree is where you say if Linux sees the driver it doesn't mean Windows will. I have just diagnosed two laptops recently and two others before that with Puppy. All now have Windows on each laptop and all have their wifi adapters working. So it probably is a virus especially if Puppy will recognize the wifi card.

I just now found a video that explains how one person installed Puppy Linux from a flash drive and how he uses it when he is out at another persons place or on a public computer. I have never used it from a flash drive as I have had disks that were larger capacity than the flash drives I currently own and used them but either method is fine. Here is a link to the video https://youtu.be/ENJuUeMf4Gc for some reason I can't add it here. If you need help once you have Puppy let me know and I can help you with the network interfaces available to you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: