Can’t Communicate with the Scanner

Old 04-16-15, 01:07 PM
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Can’t Communicate with the Scanner

Here is an unexpected problem. I have Epson Stylus NX230 wireless printer for about 2 years now and before was working / scanning fine under Vista. Last September I got a new laptop with windows 8.1 and installed printer and the printer is working fine but never tried the scanner. Today I had to scan a document and I get the message “Can’t communicate with the scanner”

Checking the web Epson says to uninstall the printer and rename C\windows\twain_32 to twain_32_old. I did this, and after a few reboots to clear old files I still get the same message. I even found the scan cfg file and manually input the MAC address and the results are the same.

Don’t understand why the printer works fine but not the scanner. Any ideas how to resolve this annoying problem?

Old 04-16-15, 01:31 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This sounds a great deal like a problem I had with my printer and Windows 7. I suggest you look up on Google or any other search engine Windows 8 compatibility and you should find a Microsoft website that will help you go through your devices and even newer device drivers than what is on the manufacturers website. I would look it up for you but I want to make dinner early. Once you find the newer drivers then remove the old ones in Add/Remover programs and then install the newer drivers. Some antivirus programs can block certain drivers so that is worth looking into too.

Old 04-16-15, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
I just looked at their website, and they have drivers for 8.1 plus just the scan utility driver, if that's all you need.

Old 04-16-15, 04:44 PM
I went to the MS site and they have the same file as Epson (epson14857.exe) so I do have the right install program for windows 8.1.

But I thought maybe my old laptop may give me some info about the scanner settings so I used the old one to scan my document and it worked but the settings are the same as my windows 8.1

No idea why the scanner is not working in windows 8.1 and yes my Firewall allow it

Old 04-16-15, 05:02 PM
H
Back when I had my printer problem I had to uninstall and then re-install the drivers and I also did a system restore. I never really did figure out why I had so many problems but finally everything was back to normal. You may have to do the same thing I did.

Old 04-16-15, 06:55 PM
I did uninstall / install as per my 1st post but did not help. Anyway I'm working on it and hopefully I will resolve it

Old 04-16-15, 07:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
I ran into a similar problem. The computer treats that Epson piece as two units. The printer shows up in the printer location and the scanner shows up as possibly an imaging device ?

Do I have that right ?

Old 04-16-15, 07:36 PM
Perhaps you are right Pete but I cant find any scanner device in the control panel or device mgr. The device mgr list only a usb camera under the Imaging heading and only Epson printer under the printers

Old 04-16-15, 07:58 PM
H
I think you might be right about that Pete although it really should treat this as a combined device. I still think a complete removal of the drivers will be your best bet with a re-install. It might take a couple of tries unfortunately as I know it did for me. I would also run CHKDSK too and let windows check for disk and program errors. Not having Windows 8.1 though I can't guide you as I am sure it is different but there should be a guide online on how to run CHKDSK in Windows 8.1. It was also part of the process in getting my printer to work.

Old 04-17-15, 06:17 AM
Just discovered if I connect the printer with a usb cable the scanner works so it could be a network setup problem but I dont know how to fix it because I cant find any settings just for the scanner

Old 04-17-15, 06:56 AM
Its all working now. I found the scanner cfg window and input my network physical address.

I dont know why the printer install did not do this automatically, perhaps due to win 8.1?

Thank you

Old 04-17-15, 07:50 AM
H
I don't know why the printer install did not do this automatically, perhaps due to win 8.1?
I think you are right Kolias my printer started out working with Windows XP and then went to Windows 7 although as I remember there were Windows 7 drivers available on the install disk. Every Windows OS though is different to some degree especially where it concerns drivers for certain things which can make things rather frustrating at times. This is especially bad where it comes to scanners and printers as not everyone has money to go and buy a new printer or scanner every time Microsoft makes a change.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: