Using an Ipad in Europe

Old 04-25-15, 05:22 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Using an Ipad in Europe

Hi All, I plan on taking my Ipad to the UK and I need a data plan for about 2weeks to get Texts and emails when not near wifi, my carrier is ATT.
any thoughts please.
Geo

Old 04-25-15, 05:28 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I'm not sure but talk to your carrier. I think they can provide service. An iPad or Andriod tablet is nothing more than a large phone. Don't they both have a Sim card or similar just like a phone that provides 4 g service?

Old 04-26-15, 05:38 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Whenever traveling internationally I just get pre-paid sim cards. Most/all iPads I think use a nano-SIM which is quite common and easy to find in all countries. Whatever you do remove your current SIM here in the US or change the settings on your device to prevent roaming. If you forget to do it before leaving the US remove the SIM card before powering the device up in a foreign country. Take your passport with you when you go to purchase a SIM card. Once you get the card put it in your device, power it up and test it out to make sure it's working before you leave the store. It's easiest to fix any hiccups right then & there. I shop around for prices but usually go to a phone store instead of getting them from a grocery store or street vendor. Occasionally there are registration & password issues and the stores can handle it without any hassle.

You do have three other options and all are more expensive:

1. The most expensive and brainless is to simply use your device overseas with your current SIM and data plan. ATT will be delighted because they will make a fortune. Read the fine print of their terms for International rates as it's usually about $20 per mb (that's meg not gig) and $2-$3 per text.

2. The second and slightly less expensive (still ridiculous) is to purchase an international plan from ATT before your trip. It's not as cheap as buying a sim card in country but you don't have to swap cards and there is minimal hassle. Not as big an issue when traveling to a country where you speak the language but more a valid option if going somewhere where you have no clue about the language or alphabet (if they have an alphabet).

3. Look online for retailers that will sell you a SIM card and plan before your trip and mail the card to you. This is sometimes the same card and plan you can purchase in country but are often double or triple the cost of walking into a store. Even though it's double or triple it's frequently like $30-$40 versus paying $10 in country.

Old 04-27-15, 08:52 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You may also need an adapter to charge it.

Old 04-27-15, 10:05 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
For 2 weeks, I would probably just call AT&T and upgrade to an International plan to cover you a bit. Then try to do as much work as possible via WiFi.

Most carriers are pretty flexible and while they are happy charging you hundreds of dollars if you don't call them, if you do and explain your situation, they'll set you up on a one-month plan that will cover you, in many cases even retroactively.

It's more expensive than a prepaid SIM, but much easier. You have options.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: