Banned from Website-how can I get back in?

Old 03-30-01, 05:52 PM
TerL
Visiting Guest
Question

I use to post messages on a discussion board pertaining to cosmetic procedures, but the administrator and sponsors probably didn't like the new procedure I was discussing. Therefore, they now prohibit me from posting messages, but I can still view the board. How did they do this? I connect to the web via a modem using a free internet provider. I can understand they can get your IP address when you connect through a network or cable and are able to ban you from a site altogether, but how did they manage to just prohibit me from posting a message and why could they have banned me completely if they wanted to? I am curious if this code can be broken.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-01, 05:58 PM
Administrators of discussion boards do have the right to manage and set the rules for their board as they see fit. Sponsors are there monitary support and of course that is a consideration for the administrator as it is there income and without financial well being , the board may not be there. Now I would have thought that they would have sent you an email telling you and explaining their concerns before outright banning you. This action is usually considered an element of last resort.

If you are using a modem , your ISP generally assigns the IP address at the time of login, and the Ip address could be different each time you log on.

Most likely it was the user name that they banned. A cookie may also have been laid on your computer that they can referenence. I would first contact them by email or if a phone # is provided , give them a call, find out why ?
and you sure that you are banned , or an error.

If you delete your cookies , go on and sign up as a new user, new password, and different email address , they may not reconize you as the same user and thereby get back in. However find out why first so you don't get back into the same problem, as it may not take them long to figure out what you are doing if the same trend is happening again.

Old 03-31-01, 07:44 AM
TerL
Visiting Guest
To dkerr re: banned from site

Deleting my cookies was the first thing I did, but as I suspected that got my IP address. This site is known to ban individuals or delete their posts without any warning.

I am also aware that signing in under a different user name would work, but I don't think I can do that with my IP provider (Netzero). I would have to re-register. Thank you for your reply.

Old 04-03-01, 06:52 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool IP Address

With a cable modem you have a static IP address. It's very easy to block someone. There are all types off software that does this. Using a dialup connection with NetZero will allow you to sign in under another name because a dialup ISP uses a dynamic IP generator that gives a different IP address each time you log on. People don't like to be told they are wrong or that you have a better product huh?

Old 04-04-01, 06:01 PM
TerL
Visiting Guest
Reply to bigmike re: banishment from website

I did go thru the trouble of creating another screen name with Netzero, but to my surprise it still didn't work. I even had a whole new email address. I wonder if the new screen name is tied in with the original member name. That seems like the only logical reason it didn't work. Like I said in my original post, they aren't restricting me from viewing the discussion board, they are just prohibiting me from posting. They think they're so clever. Trust me, I wasn't saying anything radical or dangerous.

Old 04-05-01, 07:39 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool

Terl, the problem is you are on a cable modem, in order to get back in you are going to have to go back to dialup and go thru them. You have a static IP, no matter what name u use they will see you. I kept my dialup ISP as I don't trust the @home mail server.

Old 04-05-01, 09:39 AM
She mentions in her first post...
"I connect to the web via a modem using a free internet provider. "

she also mentions netzero, I've tried that one, and it was a free dialup service, at least when I tried it out. I hated the banners and it tended to slow down my system, so it wasn't used long. Now have a cable internet provider, occasionally my IP chances , mine just chanced recently after 3 or 4 months. With dailup it is with most all providers assigned at time of connecting/login.

Perhaps she can confirm that is using dialup as a means of internet connection.

Old 04-05-01, 06:32 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool modem

I could have swore I saw a mention of a cable modem. Netzero must be using a static IP. Sorry... Use Juno, different IP.

Old 04-05-01, 06:58 PM
TerL
Visiting Guest
I am using a dialup modem

No I don't use cable. I thought using a dialup modem was safer than cable and harder to be traced. I was wrong. Netzero has been getting worse. They have made the banner larger because they want you to buy their service for $10/month. Juno is a joke. I hardly used them and they put on restrictions to the point I couldn't ever get on. Bluelight.com kinda sucks to. And I got banned from that website using Bluelight too. So I ran out of alternatives. I have access to the internet at work (got banned there too, heee heee) so I really don't need or want to have to pay for an IP at home. So from what I read in your replies, am I correct that setting up another "user" name with Netzero won't work because the "member" name is what counts?

Old 04-05-01, 07:03 PM
Yes as bigmike said , you can try anothre free provider, you can keep netzero, just try out anothre , both can be on your system, only one can be used at a time.

http://www.metacrawler.com/

use this search engine and search for - free internet -
you will come up with a number of them.

I assumed you also signed up to that discussion board as a new user with no success.

Old 04-05-01, 07:29 PM
If you have to pay for internet I would would go with another provider not net zero, I've tried the freebees before and absolutely hated it, you haev anoying banners, and I found my surf speed and overall computer performance was slower. When I used a regular pay internet provider , the computer performed much better and no anoying banners.

I now you a high speed cable provider. Internet is a shared resourse no matter if you are using dialup , DSL or cable. Most dial up providers do assign the IP address at dailup/logon time, and can be different when you log in again.
High speed can be static/fixed IP, and chance less frequently. nothing is 100 % secure, but most of us don't have anything on our computers that would do a lot of damage personally after all we are not big business with secrets.

There are fire walls that do a very good job at preventing unauthorized excess to your computer while on line. One very good firewall that is free for personal use is called zone alarm, it can be downlaoded for free at http://www.zonelabs.com/

the zone alarm pro is sold, but on that page there is a free zone alarm for personal use that works very very good.

Old 04-06-01, 07:34 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool

Yea it's a bummer having a static IP but I trade that for SPEED! I use dialup on the road, boy what a difference. You may try useing a personal firewall. There are several of them out there but don't really know what to advise you to use. You my try biting your tounge It worked for me, I too am a little on the vocal side. Have a good day...

Old 04-06-01, 09:09 AM
TerL
Visiting Guest
Reply to dkerr

My friend told me I can't use zonelabs with a dialup modem. I would have to have cable.

Old 04-06-01, 04:15 PM
I'll try and check that out for you , you can also check out their site . DSL and cable likely get the best benifit because of the IP being more static and the fact that it is an always on connection.

Old 04-07-01, 06:57 AM
TerL
Visiting Guest
Thanks to all who replied. By the way, those free internet providers have gotten very scarce. Myfavorite.net went belly up. Address.com makes you meet some sort of cash requirement thru purchases. I wonder if netzero's $10/mo. service is okay. The banner is very small but I still wonder if the flashing advertisements interfere with your computer's performance.

Old 04-07-01, 12:45 PM
If you have to pay $ 10. a month and get stuck with a banner that takes a bit of your bandwidth away , why not get a regular internet provider ? I know this is a money issue, and money is not all taht easy to come by sometimes, but it is something to be considered. You can get unlimited usage often between $ 19 to $ 22. (at least in Canada) dialup, no banners , no software to download or install, you can set it up in less than 5 minutes. I find the regular ISP perform better also at least on my computer before. If you find you rarely use the internet than instead of unlimited , go with 25 ot 50 hours a month for even less.

Your choice, something to think about.

Old 04-12-01, 08:32 AM
Visiting Guest
I've been all over this map......ISP

Been there with a 14.4 modem to Cable. Free and not real cheap.

My best was Cable when I was downloading like crazy through Napster. I got over 400 songs in one weekend, and 300 the rest of that week.

Now have dial-up thru my local phone company and they will be getting DSL soon enough.

If I had the $$$ I'd get a satellite system and say screw them all!

Hate Net-Zero and Bluelight, but they were all I had for months.

Old 04-13-01, 10:55 AM
Banned from Website

Zonelabs is free whether you use dialup or cable. I have a dialup and have dwnloaded and installed their free firewall on my computer and it works great. You may also want to look at http://www.lavasoft.com. This is a site that has a free download to remove advertising cookies and spyware on your computer.

Old 04-14-01, 06:01 AM
TerL
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info Bob

Thanks Bob. I will look into both lavasoft and zonelabs. It is amazing how many cookies and other junk is put in the Temporary Internet folder with a single click of the mouse. In the future I may put more websites on the Restricted Site list. This helps eliminate the cookies, but you still get all the other junk put in the Temporary Internet folder.

Old 04-14-01, 06:16 AM
You can't keep the internet temps/cookies empty, you can delete them from time to time but not get rid of them. There is a way to prevent cookies in internet explorer but some sites won't function properly without the use of them, therefore it is not recommended removing that feature.

Old 04-15-01, 07:40 AM
TerL
Visiting Guest
Lavasoft?

I have downloaded ZoneAlarm. I visited the lavasoft website and it says they are developers of computer aided learning systems. Bob, are you sure you gave me the correct website?