laptop AC power port

Old 05-24-15, 01:50 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
laptop AC power port

Is the AC power port-jack a part of the power unit...? On my Lenovo, I can't connect the AC cord anymore. It's loose and I think the internal pin broke off. Was wondering if I could replace just the jack, or is it part of the power supply unit...?
Thanx Charlie

Old 05-24-15, 02:31 PM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
On a Dell, you just have to re-solder the jack to the motherboard . . . . that's probably the same on Lenovo. They didn't anticipate how frequently the AC Adapter would be inserted and removed . . . . it's not mounted very solidly for a component that gets that much use.

Old 05-24-15, 05:13 PM
H
I agree usually the power port is soldered in place I am not familiar with Lenovo's as they are different from IBM's (which you probably heard sold their patents to Lenovo years ago). The one IBM I have I believe has the port soldered in. However if they have built some of their laptops like Toshiba has there is an internal power cord that goes from the motherboard to a hole on the side of the laptop where the power plug terminates. If you are lucky Lenovo may have a repair guide online and parts can usually be found on e-bay if nowhere else.

If you give us your model number we may be able to look up specific information for you and tell you for sure. Also there may be a video repair guide online on You Tube that will show you how to repair your laptop.

Old 05-24-15, 06:33 PM
F
Really appreciate the info folks......thanx much.
Charlie

Old 05-25-15, 08:47 PM
F
Is there any AC adaptor/charger which I could use to charge the battery while out of the laptop...therefore only using battery-power to operate the laptop. I don't think it's worth the trouble and part's cost to fix the AC power jack. I'd use only the battery if I could find a way to charge it.
Thanx again....Charlie

Old 05-26-15, 03:19 AM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Shouldn't cost any money if you have a soldering iron and a little electrical solder.

Old 05-26-15, 12:07 PM
H
I agree it really shouldn't cost much to buy a power port of either kind and there are many different guides online on You Tube to help you take the laptop apart, I use them myself and they are very helpful. It can be a bit intimidating it certainly was for me and I personally would prefer to go into a desktops case any day over a laptop. However I have seen some external chargers for laptop batteries on e-bay when I was looking for a replacement battery for an Asus. As to whether they have one for your laptop I can't say nor can I say how good they are.

Another alternative would be to buy a Lenovo with a broken screen and perhaps a bad hard drive, neither of which you would need to charge a battery. I can understand your reluctance to solder in a new port as you can overheat things if you are not careful and even if you are careful. It has happened to me and what I was working on quit working. So if you do decide to solder it in then I would use an iron that is no higher than 30 watts to prevent over heating. Here is a link to the type I use http://www.amazon.com/Sinometer-Watt...soldering+iron

The soldering irons get hot quick and they can burn you bad if you are not careful but this type of tip is the best for repairing or replacing a power port on a laptop. I would also buy a solder bulb to take up the solder as that opens the area up for soldering.

Old 05-26-15, 07:17 PM
F
Thanx to all for the input. A Lenovo port will cost about $70 or $80. I don't think a 6/7-year-old laptop is worth it, not to mention the bother. I gather no one knows of a battery charger...hedgeclippers...good idea if I could find a crippled Lenovo laptop. I'm thinking of bypassing the port and just solder the AC cord ends directly in to the circuit board. I'd cut the corner from the case, rather than going thru the traditional disassembly. Or take the laptop to the range and have it stop some 250 gr .45 rounds.

Thanx again folks.

Old 05-26-15, 10:34 PM
H
You are certainly welcome for the help.
Or take the laptop to the range and have it stop some 250 gr .45 rounds
Not a bad idea I feel like doing something like that with old stuff sometimes myself either that or throw it from a 100 story building and see how many pieces it can break into.

Seriously though IBM's are not that hard to work on and Lenovo's are based somewhat on that design. Still though I can understand your reluctance too but I may have some good news take a look at the link I am providing from e-bay lenovo laptop power port | eBay . I don't know your model number so I can't say which of these will work but it isn't anything near $80.00 even if it comes from China.

I also understand your reluctance that you might have about buying parts on e-bay but I have had good results in buying some parts and you can't go wrong with a power port. I looked into external battery chargers and they are very pricey for some and might not work either, here though is the link for those thinkpad external battery charger | eBay .

If you do decide to fix your laptop let us know how it worked out for you. One of those looked like it would be real easy to fix with just a plug being put in place like with the Toshibas. Have a great rest of the week!

Old 05-27-15, 03:26 PM
F
Thanx again hedgeclippers. I think I'm at a stage now where I don't enjoy dealing with assorted small screws, wiring, circuit boards, etc. I've owned about 80 cars/trucks in my life and always did my own repairs....had enough. I think the 250 gr slugs may be the definitive answer.....LQ.

Old 05-27-15, 07:59 PM
H
Again you are welcome and I certainly understand as I have a few old laptops and things I will be getting rid of either by selling them on e-bay or donating them. Some will have hard drives and will have been wiped twice and some just for parts with no hard drives. Have a great week and weekend!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: