CD ROM Problem

Old 03-31-01, 05:53 PM
nortme
Visiting Guest
Angry

My CD ROM (PC) is not functioning well. It started by locking up (software wise) during operation and quit reading some CD's altogether.

I since have deleted the drive and rebooted and that really did not help. I went to the PC manufacturer (Pionex) and got the drive downloaded, I tried to install through Windows, don't really think that I did. Went to the CD manufacturer to get the driver, installed through WinZip (DOS Install), did not seem to work. Basically ended up clearing out my autoexec.bat and config.sys files and in the end the CD ROM does not work at all. It mechanically works but it gives errors upon reading executable files.

I have tried to boot up from a boot disk in case the driver was corrupted but didn't change a thing, though it is very likely I didn't do that correctly.

Please somebody help me!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-01, 08:37 AM
When the computer locks up is while using a cd based game, or while excessing the cd rom ?

If you go after drivers on the internet for the drive, get the drivers for the operating system you are using , in other words don't get dos drivers for a windows system.

You may have already done this, but since I am not sure of teh exact way you did it...

Go to START/SETTINGS/CPNTROL PANEL/
click on system
click on device manager
click on the + beside CD ROM to expand the list
delete everything lised under cd rom.

Now reboot the computer, windows should find new hardware and proceed to install the drivers for the drive.

If it is failing during the time it is being excessed, then try cleaning the laser lens, you can get special cleaning disks that will do that.

Also does this happen when to use any cd, what speed is the cd rom. Manufactured store bought cd's should work on all, but copied cd's may have problems being read on anything less than 12x and rewriteables may have problems with a less than 24x cd rom.

Have you installed or removed any IDE devices.
Is there anything that you have done on the computer since the last time the cd rom worked realiably and now.

Repost what you find.