WINDOWS WAS NOT PROPERLY SHUT DOWN - Please press any key to...

Old 04-01-01, 06:58 AM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

My machine is a firstgen Pentium 133, AT(non power management)motherboard, Windows 95.

When I shut down the computer, I wait until the amber text on black background "It's now safe to turn off your computer" appears, to press the power button off.

Not every time, but nearly, I get a loud beep and a blue screen stating the message in the Subject when I power back up.

What's up widat?!

-Boulder

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-01, 08:40 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Morning, Boulder Dash:

In these old units, this condition is usually caused by a hard drive that this getting ready to crash. You get a premature stall and things don't shut down as they should.

The next phase of the failure will be that the hard drive will stall during normal operation causing the computer to reboot.

Perhaps my Canadian buddy, Don Kerr, has some other ideas.

Smokey

Old 04-01-01, 09:01 AM
Some questions- I take it you cannot boot up windows , is this correct . When you turn on the computer , this message comes up - the exact same message word for word.

You said "Not every time, but nearly, I get a loud beep and a blue screen stating the message in the Subject when I power back up" the word subject - which is during boot boot up right not after bootup in an email client ?

During the occasions that it does boot ok, does everything work ok until the next reboot ?

Just before you started having this problem did you uninstall/or install any software. Install or remove any hardware. Please give details. Again tell me everything that was done between the time the problem did not exist to now.

Do you have a bootable startup floppy ? and if so does it boot up on this floppy. If it does , at the dos prompt,
type DIR C: press enter. Give me the bytes free displayed.

Can you boot up in SAFE mode without a problem ?

Was there any anti-virus software on there before and if so what was it, have you tried running the computer with the anti virus disabled , have you uninstalled or installed anything with th anti-virus active.

Hard drive size, speed of cd rom, and memory ?

Old 04-01-01, 09:18 AM
Good morning smokey,

I had a hard drive failure recently too, in my case I didn't get the same error , it was just erratic at boot up and came to the point that it wouldn't boot at all. I didn't practice in this case to what I usually preach to back things up, and lost my email address book and a bunch of bookmarks, but I did manage to get the same drive eventually back up 1199 bad blocks later that was patched around but it now works perfectly , a temporary repreeve, I know I will be in for a new drive it is just a matter of when.

Windows 95 I often heard of some people refering to as the beta of windows 98, and would much prefer to work with 98 or me. I have also known windows systems to get corrupt to the point it is far less effort and time to simply blow the system away, format and reinstall , time for most people is also valuable.

I might be a very good time for this poster to back up any personal letters or data while it will still boot every 5th or 10 th time. If we do have to do a redo that I will need his cd rom speed. I finally found a way at least to one 4x cd rom to bring it up from a boot floppy, I always had problems getting the 4x cd roms up with the win 98 or me startup floppies, I redid the system on a friends computer that brought in to work with a new hard drive install and a 4x cd rom, after about 2 hours of searching the internet and modifing the autoexec.bat and config.sys, and finally finding a generic cd rom driver that worked on a 4x cd rom.
He was just about to buy another cd rom so he was happy save that money.

Old 04-01-01, 09:25 AM
Also please if it will even boot up even once , go to START/SETTINGS/CONTROL PANEL/

click on SYSTEM
click on device tab
click on + beside the cd rom , display adapters, modems,sound card, monitor, that we know the names in the event that it comes to having to redo the system and windows does not find the drivers on its own.

We will look at other things first based on your reply to my other post. Also try to run scandisk.

Old 04-01-01, 04:43 PM
Visiting Guest

Some questions- I take it you cannot boot up windows , is this correct . When you turn on the computer , this message comes up - the exact same message word for word.

You said "Not every time, but nearly, I get a loud beep and a blue screen stating the message in the Subject when I power back up" the word subject - which is during boot boot up right not after bootup in an email client ?

During the occasions that it does boot ok, does everything work ok until the next reboot ?
Responses to DKERR:

Just before you started having this problem did you uninstall/or install any software. Install or remove any hardware. Please give details. Again tell me everything that was done between the time the problem did not exist to now.

No, no(2), no(3), and no(4).

Do you have a bootable startup floppy ?

Yes.

and if so does it boot up on this floppy. If it does , at the dos prompt,
type DIR C: press enter. Give me the bytes free displayed.

The sequence of events is I turn on the machine, Award BIOS screen appears and counts memory as normal.

Black screen clears, then states "Starting Windows"

Windows 95 blue sky banner appears - THEN the long single beep and the message in the Subject of my thread appears. I press any key to clear up the problem, scan disk executes, and Windows boots up fine.

Can you boot up in SAFE mode without a problem ?

Didn't have need to.

Was there any anti-virus software on there before and if so what was it, have you tried running the computer with the anti virus disabled , have you uninstalled or installed anything with th anti-virus active.

Installed Norton Antivirus/Disk Doctor 95 in fall of 99, uninstalled it last summer. "Windows was not shut down properly" messages only started appearing frequently since the last 2 months. Did not install any apps during the time I had Norton installed. The damn thing doubled my boot time to almost 2 minutes, so I uninstalled it. Currently takes 1min. 20sec. to boot to desktop.

Hard drive size, speed of cd rom, and memory ?
3.2GIG, 16x CDROM, 32MB RAM

Hope that clarifies a few things, dkerr.

-Boulder Dash(the baddest wood coaster in New England!)

PS BTW it did not happen when I turned on my computer to check this thread out. : )

Old 04-02-01, 10:12 AM
I have a feeling that Smokey may be right in this instance, because of the nature of this.

I know there is a problem existing with some of the faster processors perticularly with ATX system, that the buffer doesn't get saved fast enough to the hard drive before shut down and thereby windows detecting a improper shutdown even though you shut it down properly, microsoft put out a temporary download fix that puts in a 2 second delay pause in the shutdown sequence.

This certainly should not be a problem with a AT system runing a pentium 133. What I would do is to run scandisk doing a thorough scan, that may move and patch around any bad sectors and prevent them from being used again.

If that doesn't solve it , I would do a complete format and reinstall of the system.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...threadid=55072

this thread I already had given instructions on redoing a system, skip the section on using fdisk, and just format the drive. Read what I mentioned before in this thread about writing down your modem , sound , etc info. Have your modem driver on floppy. I would try and get a friend to make you a windows 98 startup floppy as I don't beleive that windows 95 startup had cd rom support.

If it again develops a problem after a reinstall then it has to be hardware related.

Old 04-03-01, 08:14 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Thanks Dkerr, Smokes,

If a HD failure is imminent(3-6months out), it won't matter as I'm in the market for a new PC anyhow. This machine has lasted me 5 years, with only a new HD in 99 - upgraded from 1.6Gig to 3.2 that year.

My PC habits have been good - running ScanDisk and DDefragmenter monthly, and only 65% of my HD is full, so obviously I'm not a power user.

A friend told me the more frequently I perform the above housekeeping the more I slow down my HD! He said use it as usual and don't perform Scan or Defrag for 60 days - should get faster if I only go back to doing it monthly and not weekly.

Any comments on this last point?

-Boulder

Old 04-03-01, 02:15 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Smokey says:
I have an old 200 MHz Pentium that is doing this duty tonight. Not the brightest flash in the sky, obviously. I am sensing a hard drive going bad from the fact that it is getting difficult to do ScanDisk and Disk Defragmenter. I have stalls in programs and have to reboot. I see the blue screens now and then.

But, I am not looking for help. I will put it in the shop in a week and so, have a new hard drive installed, may have a new Mother Board installed, and add to the RAM. I want to keep the beast around because it is a "friend".

Reloading it? I have an IOMEGA 100 Megabyte drive in the machine and keep the hard drive backed up constantly. Almost no one I see on this site keeps their hard drive backed up in the case of failure.

So, we're not getting the word out to folks about hard drive back ups and would like to see more of this on this forum. If a person spends months and years customizing his computer to his/her specifications, they need to know they can reproduce that computer if the hard drive fails.

The alternative is to have a second hard drive installed and back up to it constantly.

Smokey says, "Spread the word! There is hope for these problems!"

Smokey

Old 04-04-01, 12:47 AM
Marshall Buttrey
Visiting Guest
I have been running scan disk, defrag, and othet disk maintenance weekly for almost 2 years. I am certain it does not slow my system down. That's BS.

Marshall