Journal Application with Automatic Dating?

Old 06-26-15, 07:13 AM
Journal Application with Automatic Dating?

Does anyone know if there is a journal template, macro, etc. in Microsoft Office that automatically inserts the date when a new entry is made? I realize I could write my own macro, but I need the date to be automatically entered and preferably non-editable.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-15, 01:06 PM
Are you referring to Microsoft Excel or Word? Microsoft Word always automatically sets the date for me as I type it out as to Excel I can't say as I have it but don't use it. Years ago I used something similar in Microsoft Works but not Excel I think though it had a template but I am not sure now.

Old 06-26-15, 01:27 PM
Microsoft Word. What template are you using? Let me be clear, I am looking for an application that will enter the date, but will not allow me to edit the date. I need to prove without a doubt that the journal entries were entered on the date indicated.

Old 06-26-15, 04:12 PM
Temporarily Suspended
The only way to change the modification dates in Windows is with 3rd party software.

Here's testimony to one of those programs.

"Saved me when my gf asked about a picture on my computer, Back dated the time to before we were togetherÖ bada bing bada boom no more problem thanks"

If the PC in question doesn't allow new programs to be installed, you don't have to do another thing as far as locking the dates go.

Old 06-26-15, 06:14 PM
What is the name of the third party software Pulpo the only thing I know about is the automatic template that shows up when I write a letter. I know I have heard something about third party add ons but I have never used any.

Old 06-26-15, 06:24 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I saw a number of third party programs that can change the dates.

How to Change the Last Modified Date, Creation Date, and Last Accessed Date for Files and Folders

That ^^ site shows 3 programs.

How to Change TimeStamp of a File in Windows (File Created, Modified and Accessed)

That ^^ site has yet another program. The testimony that I posted was from there.

Old 07-07-15, 04:45 PM
Mossman, are you talking about the content inside the file where you have to flag (with a date) the daily journal entry or the file's dates themselves?

If it is the file content, then I think you are on the right track already. You will need to write it in VBA. I have created a task tracking spreadsheet where it automatically input in today's date upon closing. It would auto update only those entries where there are no dates. If you don't want modification to this, lock the date column and spreadsheet. Other option is if your audience only requires read only, autosave and generate it in PDF.

Originally Posted by Mossman
I need to prove without a doubt that the journal entries were entered on the date indicated.
After reading this again, drop the PDF idea. Can you share who your audience is to prove without a doubt that the journal entries were entered on the date indicated. Are they VP, Other Business Associates, etc... If this is for corporate and internal the firm or is it for legal cases...

Old 07-08-15, 10:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 9
I don't think there's any reliable way to ensure fields aren't changed in a Word/Excel document. You can protect certain cells in Excel with a password, but it would be difficult to convince anyone else that you don't have the password stored away somewhere. And even so, the VBA script would need access to that cell, which you could pretty easily override if desired.

I think you'd have to look for a more specific application for keeping journals or engineering notebooks. Something that keeps its own date/time stamps.

You also have to consider what your requirements are. If it's an internal kind of project, you might be able to convince your team to agree that the dates are not easily changed. If you're planning that this may have to stand up as evidence in court, you'd probably be better off printing it off on a daily/weekly/monthly basis and signing and dating it.

Hope this helps!

-Mike

Old 07-08-15, 06:16 PM
IMHO it seems to me you want something more like a data base management application. Stamping time-of-data-entry and time-of-entry-modification are pretty standard options I believe. And I donít think editing of the time stamp after the fact is typically a featureĖ but Iím really not 100% certain. I think you can edit data but the time stamp is done by the DB management software.

Thus, you would share the data base with your end users and they would have confidence in the data chronology. (But I admit, when I used to do software I only had passing familiarity with DBMS).

I think some of the DBMS software can be set to pick up the time from one of those Internet time Services. I think some of the Oracle stuff can do that. Might be a little more involved than you wanted but it seems to me thatís the kind of stuff you need if you really want independent verification as to precisely when you journaled specific information.

Old 08-12-15, 02:47 PM
Thank you very much for the feedback!