I pad Mini 2 wireless storage

Old 06-25-15, 06:47 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question I pad Mini 2 wireless storage

Just recently I ordered an IPad Mini 2 from a survey place as a gift to me. I have always wanted a mini computer better than an old Dell Axim I own. Just recently I learned that the IPads do not have a USB port. I have heard about a wireless storage device though that Sandisk makes and want to know if anyone else has used this.

I might use cloud storage and do have a a free drop box account but I would also like to be able to use some kind of local storage that is portable like with the Sandisk. I suppose I could link my new Ipad to a Windows computer and save some things that way perhaps through Team Viewer? Or even without Team Viewer?

I would also like to be able to use Skype too to make phone calls if needed and I am wondering if that is possible? Also is there a way to add a keyboard that screen is small but is all that I could afford in points at the time. Thank you for your help!

Old 06-26-15, 07:14 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I'm not an Apple user. The only thing that I can suggest is to share a USB drive, from the windows computer.

Old 06-26-15, 01:24 PM
H
I am certainly going to try that Pulpo well I am not a fan of Apple products either however this was free and certain surveys do require a tablet computer. So it will be for some surveys and maybe the occasional browsing of the web. I think though that I can fairly easily link my Ipad to at least one of my computers via wireless as I have done that before with a Linux laptop which while being different from Apples Ios is not that much different. It always helps though to have some guidance for something you have never used before. Thank you for your help!

Old 06-26-15, 07:50 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
The best way to use an iPad (iPhone/etc) is to not treat it like a computer. The best solution is to use a cloud-based storage tool for your photos, excess music, etc. iCloud is built-in, but Dropbox or Google Drive work well too.

Don't fight the way the Apple wants you to use the device. It may not be the way you're used to using a device, but it can work pretty well if you trust the ecosystem.

Old 06-26-15, 08:10 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If you are going to the cloud, encrypt your files. The Federal Government uses Akamai Cloud Services & they just suffered a major hack not to mention all the actresses who used the cloud to store their naked pics & they were hacked too. Neither the Feds or the actresses encrypted their files.

Old 06-26-15, 10:15 PM
H
If you are going to the cloud, encrypt your files.
Good advice Pulpo I know there is software out there for Windows computers but I don't have any information on software for the Ipad. Zorfdt I don't plan on fighting it have you used any of those Bluetooth keyboards I have seen some advertised on Amazon.com and I am wondering if you can recommend any. I like the ones with the built in case the best. Since ICloud is built in I am wondering if ITunes is built in too?

I am not interested too much in listening to music but from what I understand and have read so far you need ITunes installed to get even free apps installed. Also is ICloud free to use? Thank very much for your help!

Old 06-27-15, 06:34 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Best Secure File Locker Apps: iPad/iPhone Apps AppGuide

There are a few encryption apps on that ^^ site. The app called Safe looks good to me since it's 256 AES encryption. However, it says that it won't work on videos.

https://www.aescrypt.com/download/

Scroll down to Apple on that ^^ site. There is another app that is also AES.

Old 06-29-15, 08:47 PM
H
Thank you Pulpo I will look into the encryption information you gave me. I just today received my new toy and I like it a great deal. It will never be my primary computing device but I did realize it does videos real nice and Siri while not absolutely necessary is nice to have and saves you time in finding something. I will probably use it for remote deposits with my bank and will check into its encryption and as was stated before for surveys. What I probably will not use it for are home videos or any pictures I take as I have cameras for that.

I know probably a bit old fashioned but I don't want to pay for storage and I don't share many pictures anyway. As for video I rarely use that function on my cameras that can do it and then just to play around with it. I have found that using the onscreen keyboard is a bit of a chore so I will probably invest at some point with a Bluetooth keyboard and combination case to protect the screen.

Old 06-30-15, 04:35 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I don't think that I would pay for the cloud either although there is something to be said for off site backups. I don't mind buy all the hard drives that I need. A hard drive in a safe or a dafe deposit box is a good idea too. There are all kinds of options. Either way, enjoy your new toy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: