Google Cloud Print

Old 07-01-15, 02:34 PM
Google Cloud Print

I just got a new printer that is Cloud Print enabled. To set it up, I need to use a function on the printer to register it with Cloud Print. When I run this function, it says it cannot reach the server. The printer is connected to my LAN. I can print documents fine. I even tried changing the settings on my router to allow all incoming and outgoing traffic. That didn't work either. It's a Canon MX922. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-15, 03:02 PM
Temporarily Suspended
https://productforums.google.com/for...k/H1ABi2u-9Y8J

You didn't say what PC you are using. That site ^^ discusses the Cannon printer in relation to Chromebook. It also mentions that it could be a Cannon problem. One possible solution mentioned was to change the DNS to the Google DNS 8.8.8.8. Personally, I don't think that should be necessary. What is the exact error message word for word? Have you tried to use the cloud server's IP instead of the name? 216.58.219.206

Old 07-01-15, 03:28 PM
It doesn't involve my pc at all. This is a function of the printer. I need to register it first before I can use the cloud print service. I have no options for ip address.

"Cannot connect to the server. Please wait awhile and try again."

Old 07-01-15, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator
Do you want to use the cloud because you do? Or because its a function the printer offers and you just want it to work?

I myself put nothing, 0, zilch on any cloud based platform.. ( Although seems same as web based storage, I dont trust it. especially one drive....

Old 07-01-15, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator
I have not read through this..

Have you?

http://www.usa.canon.com/CUSA/assets...ter_to_GCP.pdf

Old 07-01-15, 03:36 PM
It has the function and I want it to work. I may never need cloud print, but I would like to have the option in case it would ever be handy for me.

I am at the first stage of those instructions and the printer will not perform them.

Old 07-01-15, 03:59 PM
Temporarily Suspended
How are you registering your printer without a PC or a similar device with the same function? The cloud server can't talk to your network, without an IP address.

Old 07-01-15, 04:10 PM
It's a built in function of the printer. The printer has it's own ip address. I meant I don't have the option to change the DNS server for the printer to use.

Old 07-01-15, 04:20 PM
Group Moderator
Know nothing about a cloud printer but both internet devices I have that connect directly to the router required me to first go on my computer to a website to register my device. Here is another link, not your printer but instructions should be the same. You need to use your computer to register. Have you done that? https://www.epsonconnect.com/guide/en/html/uses_4.htm

Last edited by ray2047; 07-01-15 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-01-15, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator
Droo thats on page 4 here. I guess no one read it... Can you get that far?

http://www.usa.canon.com/CUSA/assets....mc_id=C126149

Registration (authentication) must be completed in 14 minutes. Proceed to the next step promptly.
Note
If an error message is displayed indicating that the registration (authentication) failed, start from Step 2 to print the URL
again
Performing the Authentication Process
From a PC,
smartphone
, or other types of PDA, enter the URL printed previously in your Web browser
. The URL is case
-
sensitive. Please enter exactly as on the printout.

Old 07-01-15, 05:01 PM
Guys, the URL comes from the printer. The printer gets the URL from Google. I am unable to get the URL due to the failure to connect to Google.

Old 07-01-15, 05:35 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Not all printers have an IP address & if they do have an IP, it's an internal IP address which is not routable. What you are saying about the printer getting the URL from Google & all that violates everything I know about networking. It all has to go through the router & that's where the DNS settings are.

Old 07-01-15, 05:53 PM
Correct. The printer has a local IP.

To use Google Cloud Print to print on my printer, I need to register the printer with Google. To register, I need to go to a URL specific to my printer to get everything set up. To get that URL, I need to use the function on my printer that gets it for me. That would be the register function. The printer will print out a sheet of paper with a URL on it. I need to go to that URL with my PC or phone and fill out all of the relevant information. The URL will expire after X number of minutes.

Old 07-01-15, 06:50 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Any device with a local IP can not talk to a server outside it's own network without two devices, one that does Network Address Translation & another that starts the process. That would be your router & your PC respectively. Disable Windows firewall & try it again.

Old 07-01-15, 09:38 PM
I can't say that I am a router expert or even a printer expert but recently Verizon gave me an upgrade and for now a lower price. During that time I noticed places on the router that would give permission to certain devices basically making them safe to use with the router. It might be you will need to register your new printer in the router first and then it will allow the printer to communicate with Google. I can't guide you on that I just know the basics like changing my routers IP and having another router set up for older devices. Perhaps someone else here knows or you can Google it.

Old 07-02-15, 05:04 AM
Temporarily Suspended
The router knows about the printer if it already gave it an IP address. The router knows about anything that passes through it. A router has 2 IP addresses, one is an external IP address given to it by the ISP & the second is a default internal IP address that came with it. The external IP address is routable across the internet & the internal IP is only good within your home network. The router translates between the 2 IP addresses.

On to the PC & the printer. The concept that the PC has nothing to do with the registration of the printer, is a mistake. As a "client", the PC is what makes the request to the Google Server. The "server" should answer the "client". That's where we get into "client server relationships" I'm not a fan of analogies but I'll use one anyway. When you go into a restaurant, you are the client & the waiter is the server. As a client, you make a request to the server. That's the waiter. If it's available, it is brought to you. If it's not available, the server (waiter) tells you. That's equivalent to an error message, in the browser.

If a firewall or something else is blocking your request or the server doesn't respond for any reason, you will get an error message. That's why I suggested that you disable Windows firewall. Your router could also have a firewall. Both the PC & the router have log files. If they are enabled, look at them for reasons why the request didn't work. Open the browser & log in to the router using it's default IP address & default user name & password, if you did not change it. For example, http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar, of the browser. That may or may not be the IP of your router. That address is good for most Linksys & Cisco routers.What is the make & model, of your router?

Old 07-02-15, 01:16 PM
Puplo, you are wrong about needing the PC. The printer is connected to my LAN via wireless. It has a local IP address. I don't need my PC on to use the printer.

My windows firewall is never on. I tried turning off my router firewall and it still didn't work. The printer has another feature that allows me to print to it via email. To set that up, I go through a similar process as Cloud Print. On the printer, I elect to register for print from email. It connects to a server and generates a URL for me to enter in a web browser. The URL is specific to me and my printer. I entered some information like my email address. etc etc. I can now send an attachment to a certain email address and my printer will print it. Pretty neat. Never-the-less, cloud print is set up the same way, except the URL is a Google generated on that brings me to google to set up the cloud print service for my printer.

Old 07-02-15, 01:50 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Are you saying that the original problem still exists?

Old 07-02-15, 03:01 PM
It still exists .

Old 07-02-15, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator
Do you have a google account?

Old 07-02-15, 03:53 PM
Yes .

Old 07-02-15, 04:05 PM
I was thinking the same thing. The instructions (below) I think are saying you need a google account for Cloud Printing , but - it looks like you should at least receive the URL for registration at the printer whether you have a google account or not.

Canon : PIXMA Manuals : MX920 series : Preparations for Printing with Google Cloud Print

Old 07-02-15, 04:16 PM
That is correct, zoesdad. Either the server isn't working, or the firmware on the printer has the wrong address.

Old 07-02-15, 04:25 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I would look at the event viewer for error messages & if logging is enabled in the router, I would look at that too. You still didn't say what make & model your router is.

Old 07-03-15, 04:56 AM
My event viewer won't show me what the printer is trying to do.

My router is Actiontec MI424WR. It's provided to me by FIOS.

Old 07-03-15, 06:40 AM
Temporarily Suspended
What we are looking for now is why the communication is being blocked. The event viewer has a few categories. It could be under any of them.

To login to the web interface of the router, open the browser & in the address box where you usually see www....., put 192.168.1.1 & press enter. A login page will appear. If you haven't changed the default passowrd, use "admin" for the user name & "password" for the password without the quotes. If that doesn't work, look at the label on the router, for the password. Sometimes they use the serial number. Try all of those things until you open the web interface. On the first page, click Firewall. It will ask you for a confirmation, click yes. Then click on Security Log. Hopefully, you will see where it's being blocked.

Old 07-03-15, 11:55 AM
I already tried removing the firewall completely and it doesn't work. I went into the router and cleared the security log. Attempted registration and nothing appeared in the security log.

Old 07-03-15, 01:38 PM
Temporarily Suspended
That was a good test. Can you bring the printer to a friend's house, install it on his network & attempt the registration there? That would tell us a lot.

Old 07-03-15, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator
To print with Google Cloud Print, you need to have a Google account and register the machine with Google Cloud Print in advance
Did you register it in advance? Is there such a thing on the cloud web site?

This function is available only when IPv4 is selected for
TCP/IP settings
s
I dont know of anyone using IPv6 but did you check anyway? ( Right click on the wireless network icon. You are wireless correct?)

Im reading your manual now maybe ill find something..

Old 07-03-15, 03:36 PM
I'm not dragging this printer to someone else's house.

I believe the printer has both IPv4 and IPv6 checked.

I think Google started using IPv6 among other companies. All the IP addresses for IPv4 have been assigned.

Old 07-03-15, 04:18 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I'm not dragging this printer to someone else's house.
I didn't think that it would be that much of an effort. It certainly would provide a lot of answers.

Old 07-03-15, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator
I believe the printer has both IPv4 and IPv6 checked.
well uncheck IP6... its not used AFAIK.. possibly thatsyour issue...

Old 07-04-15, 04:51 AM
Tried it, it didn't work.

IPv6 is being used, although not extensively. Both can be used at the same time as the internet transitions to IPv6.

Old 07-04-15, 07:47 AM
I found the link below where someone had a problem re-registering the printer until they performed the steps below. Maybe the primary/secondary DNS addresses are incorrect in your printer. That would I guess explain why you could receive but not send at the printer (I think, lol).

But you wouldn’t expect those DNS addresses to have been changed in the printer? Sounds like your menu has an IPv4 page and an IPv6 page. Are the DNS's correct on both - or at least on the IPv4 page?

https://productforums.google.com/for...A/U3oVPMABxWIJ

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway.
- Enter 8.8.8.8 for the primary DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the secondary DNS. This is Google DNS.
- Click 'Apply'.

(These settings can also be accessed directly via your printer if you have a screen, you need: setup > device settings > LAN settings > other settings > TCP/IP settings > IPv4 > yes > DNS server > manual setup > enter 8.8.8.8 > yes > enter 8.8.4.4)

just thought : if those were wrong i guess you would not have been able to do the cloud email registration ... but could they have been corrupted since then? Long shot maybe.

Last edited by zoesdad; 07-04-15 at 08:30 AM. Reason: added caveat
Old 07-04-15, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator
Note...

I use open DNS and changed these in my router.. Seems faster then all the others such as google...

OpenDNS IP Addresses

Probably change to same in printer..

Or I guess get your routers DNS from Verizon and put that in the printer...

Or what may be faster is to just call cannon support. They can probably guide you faster then what we are stating to do...

Old 07-04-15, 09:35 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Shut down the entire network. Then restart in the following order, router, PC then the printer. Wait about 2 minutes between each device.

Old 07-04-15, 10:20 AM
I tried changing the DNS server on the printer. I finally figured out how. That did nothing. I can't change the ones on the router. I assume those are also the ones that get assigned through DHCP.

I also contacted Canon via email. They said it's a Google problem and to contact Google. From what I have found, it seems to be a common problem with Canon printers. Canon denies it's their problem.

Old 07-04-15, 10:27 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Since you don't want to try my last two ideas, I have one more. Put the printer in the DMZ.

Old 07-04-15, 10:48 AM
Pulpo, I'll try that, but I don't see the point. I already tried it without the firewall on. I know the printer can reach the internet from when i set up the "print through email" function.

Old 07-04-15, 10:54 AM
Tried the DMZ. Did not work.