Switching out CD roms on older computer

Old 07-10-15, 07:10 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Switching out CD roms on older computer

Hey guys,

I have a Sony Vaio desktop computer from 2005 that still runs great, but the dvd and the cd-rom's lenses are dead (I assume, it won't read discs anymore). But I have several dvd and cd drives laying around, all from around the same years (2004-2007 I would guess. Nothing new or super fancy).

If I just swap out drives, can that mess with the computer as I start it up again or will it install the "new" drives automatically and start up. Will I have to go change some bios settings first; can it cause the computer to get some kinda error where I can't get it back to where it was? Anything I need to consider first?

Thanks for any info.

Old 07-10-15, 07:46 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Remove the old drive first. Compare the connections with the possible replacement drives. Decide which drive is the best choice & install it. Boot the machine. It will see the new drive & attempt to install the correct driver. It may ask you for permission to search the internet for the driver. I would say yes. If it still doesn't find it, search google for the driver. For example - download driver for Lite-on DVD model #.

If it doesn't see the drive at all when you boot the machine, either try a different drive or set the BIOS to auto.

Old 07-10-15, 04:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 253 Votes on 221 Posts
My 2 cents:

Most CD/DVD drives run just fine without drivers. If you want to do fancy things when burning, that is run on the software side of things. Biggest things, as Pulpo mentioned, are if the drives is ATA, or SATA, You can see that if the cables fit.

Old 07-10-15, 09:22 PM
H
I agree you really shouldn't need any special drivers. As for burning software or DVD decoding software certain drives will only work with with certain software unless it is open source. For a good open source burner that is free I would use CDBurnerXP it is completely compatible with Windows 7 and I believe Windows 8 too here is a link to it https://www.cdburnerxp.se/.

Old 07-11-15, 10:56 AM
G
Thanks guys. I didn't get to try it yesterday but will work on it this weekend! Appreciate the help/ info!

Old 07-12-15, 09:11 AM
G
Hey guys.
It went fine installing the dvd rom. I started it up and it installed properly without any issues.

However, it still says "insert dics into drive" when I try a dvd, just like the original Sony drive that I thought the burner was dead on. Could there be something else going on here? I have one more dvd drive I can try. I just find it fishy that this newer one (that was barely used before) also says it.

Question 2: The last dvd drive I have to try has these specs that match up with my original sony: 5v/12v but then it has 1.3 A / 1.3 A while my Sony has 1.6A and 2.0A .... will that cause problems?? The interfaces look the same.

EDIT: I also tried updating the drivers. They are all up to date. It also says "this device is working properly" when I check it in the properties.

Here's my Sony's specs in case it's needed:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name SONY
System Model PCV-RZ40C(UC)
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2992 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2002, 9/19/2003
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 305.14 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.40 GB

Last edited by guitar; 07-12-15 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-12-15, 11:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 253 Votes on 221 Posts
Can you move the cable from the drive to the mother board to another port (If SATA). Otherwise maybe try a different cable.

Old 07-12-15, 06:10 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Are you saying that the you are getting the same error message with the replacement drive as with the original drive?

Old 07-13-15, 12:02 AM
H
I agree I think this may be a cable issue rather than a drive issue. I have bought good cheaper cables at a place called monoprice and you can see if you like any of them. Here is the link to Monoprice and their SATA page Search result for sata - Monoprice.com . Buy the shortest cable that you need as getting anything too long can cut down on performance of the drive.

Old 07-14-15, 10:55 AM
G
Hey guys,
thanks for the info so far.

Pulpo: yes, it says "please insert a disk into drive E:" on both, even though I try several different discs.

Guys, I have the ribbon cable, the PATA I assume it is.

I have one more ribbon cable salvaged from another computer but the info printed on it is different. I don't know if it makes a big difference with these kind or if they are interchangable.

My original sony cable says: 28AWG 300v AWM2651

The other cable says: 30AWG 150V AWM 2678

If it's still a good idea to change cables, can I try this one or should I order an exact copy of the Sony?
Or maybe I need to try something else?

Thanks again!

Old 07-14-15, 12:49 PM
H
If the cable is PATA a much wider cable about 1 1/2 inches wide or so then it most probably is the cable. Newer computers that rely on the SATA cable usually don't have that problem. If a PATA cable gets just the slightest bit kinked then you can have drive problems. I haven't checked Monoprice for a PATA cable but they might have them if what you have doesn't work. I wouldn't replace that cable with a regular ribbon cable though they have some with wires in a tube that don't kink that easily if you can still find them been a while since I bought a PATA cable.

If your motherboard has both PATA and SATA connections like my MSI motherboard has then I would buy the newer driver and use SATA cables instead. The newer standard is much better than the old PATA standard and allows for faster access of the drive if possible on your motherboard.

Old 07-14-15, 01:27 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Reset the BIOS back to defaults or flash the BIOS if an update is available.

Old 07-18-15, 01:15 PM
Z
Received 35 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi guitar-

I assume you are still working on the problem. In post #1 it sounds like your system has multiple optical drives and it seems your model does in fact come with a DVD/RW drive plus a CD-ROM drive. I assume you are not replacing both of those drives at the same time Ė just the DVD/RW drive.

It seems to me that if Windows is assigning the drive letter E: to the DVD drive, then the drive is in fact being recognized by the BIOS and Windows is using its standard CD device default drivers which would be normal Ė maybe the other guys would disagree.

Your system comes with a Recovery partition D: , so Windows assigning E: to the first optical drive seems to make sense. But I would think you should also see a drive F: representing the other optical drive. I believe you should be able to see the drive manufacturers name via Device Manager if the drives are being recognized properly.

I donít think your system has SATA interfaces, all the drives are on IDE interfaces Ė so I believe Master/Slave pertains to your configuration. I would assume your HDD is on the primary IDE interface so I guess your optical drive(s) would be on the secondary IDE interface.

I havenít messed with this stuff for a long time but I believe you have to make sure that you have the Master/Slave jumpers properly set on your drives Ė you canít have 2 Masters or 2 Slaves on the same IDE controller interface.

Yet I guess I really donít see how that could be your problem because it seems like the BIOS must be OK with your configuration if you are getting proper drive letter assignments from Windows. Maybe the other guys can see something wrong with that thinking. But I donít think it can hurt to check the jumper settings on the drives.

If you try a new cable and still have the problem, and nothing else seems to make sense, I wonder if the Windows XP CD-device driver related stuff has been corrupted on your system. Maybe you could try using the Windows System Restore function to drop back to some earlier time(s) and see if that helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: