Wireless Modem

Old 08-03-15, 02:28 PM
OK - you got at least me hooked Pulpo - what in the world do those two commands have to do with the TG862 involved in an infinitywifi network?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-15, 05:55 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Well looks like that does in fact work! My bad.
LOL, yes it does but it's good to question everything. Don't stop questioning!

The first thing that those commands will tell us is the PC's internal IP address which in turn tells us the class C subnet of the router & it will also tell us the internal gateway. Based on that info, she can open the web interface, of the device that happens to be the DHCP server & internal gateway. That will tell us which device it is. If DHCP is running on both devices, it might reflect that info too. If you look at my first response, that's the first thing that I mentioned. If no internal IP address appears, it could be the xinfinity, in the sky but I doubt that very much. Any questions?

Old 08-03-15, 09:10 PM
The first thing that those commands will tell us is the PC's internal IP address which in turn tells us the class C subnet of the router & it will also tell us the internal gateway.
Well obviously when you are using a router there can be a private IP address for the PC and also a gateway address – but that has nothing to do with anything! We already knew that and that has nothing to do with whatsoever with whether the Gateway (TG862) is hosting the xfinitywifi network.

Based on that info, she can open the web interface, of the device that happens to be the DHCP server & internal gateway. That will tell us which device it is. If DHCP is running on both devices, it might reflect that info too.
Any duplication of the DHCP function has nothing to do whatsoever with whether or not the TG862 is hosting xfinitywifi.

If you look at my first response, that's the first thing that I mentioned. If no internal IP address appears, it could be the xinfinity, in the sky but I doubt that very much
What does SSID have to do with an IP address? Where in the protocol does it require an IP address? You might be able to find an IP address if you connected to xfinitywifi SSID – but what in the world does this have to do with anything? I think you need to expand on the following statement- if you can:

If no internal IP address appears, it could be the xinfinity

Any questions?
Yes as a matter of fact I do have a question. Do you understand what hosting the 2 gateways (“xfinitywifi” and the home user network ) on the TG862 means? The xfinitywifi gateway will be totally transparent to everything internal including the NetGear router and everything beyond the NetGear, i.e., everything internal to the local network. The xfinitywifi network is invisible to the commands and analysis you outline. I don’t think you comprehend this. You cannot detect the xfinitywifi network broadcast via the commands you outline. That is what Comcast points out – as far as you the user is concerned the extra xfinitywifi network SSID would just show up as another network on your devices and that’s all.

I think you are way out in left field when you think that the network analysis commands you outline will tell you whether the Gateway(TG862) is hosting another network (i.e., hosting xfinitywifi).

Old 08-04-15, 04:08 AM
Temporarily Suspended
The idea of those commands was to get the IP addresses needed to login to the web interfaces of both the Arris & the Netgear separately, without the other one connected & find out the rest of the info. The web interface will tell me the SSID. I can even change it for testing purposes. Those commands were just the first two steps in a series of other actions. I would also be connecting & disconnecting devices in different ways while I'm running commands. It's really easier done than explained.

If you think that I'm in left field, recommend something else. I know what I would do if I were there. I would have the answers within an hour.

Old 08-04-15, 04:41 PM
I don’t think you need an IP address and I also don’t think you need to connect or disconnect anything. As far as I know this can be done by doing 2 steps, actually just entering 2 commands:

1. Find the physical address (the MAC address) of the AccessPoint (AP) which is broadcasting the xfinitywifi SSID which the laptop (i.e., the station) is seeing.

2. Then see if that MAC address is on your LAN – if so then it is your equipment which is hosting the xfinitywifi hotspot, not some remote equipment.

Step1: Use the network shell in Windows and type the following command:

netsh wlan>sh networks mode=bssid

You will get output that looks something like this:

SSID 1 : -SSID #1-
Network type : Adhoc
Authentication : Open
Encryption : None
BSSID 1 : xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
Signal : 100%
Radio type : 802.11b
Channel : 1
Basic rates (Mbps) :
Other rates (Mbps) : 11

SSID 2 : -SSID #2-
Network type : Infrastructure
Authentication : WPA2-Personal
Encryption : CCMP
BSSID 1 : xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
Signal : 100%
Radio type : 802.11g
Channel : 6
Basic rates (Mbps) : 1 2 5.5 6 11 12 24
Other rates (Mbps) : 9 18 36 48 54
Find the entry matching xfinitywifi as the SSID and note the BSSID for that entry. The BSSID is taken from the broadcast beacon packet from the xfinitywifi Access Point and is actually the MAC address of the AP equipment doing the broadcast.

Step 2: type an “arp –a” command on the laptop and note the MAC addresses listed. If one of the MAC addresses matches the MAC address from step 1 then it is equipment on your own LAN that is doing the xfinitywifi broadcast.

diybarbs configuration has the TG862, the NetGear router, and the laptop all on the same LAN - thus all MAC addresses will be seen via the “arp” command.

I can’t test this since I have no wireless device other than a SMART TV – but I would be shocked if this did not work.

Old 08-04-15, 05:08 PM
Wireless Modem

LOL I have been reading your posts. I am completely out in left field. However when I get time I will bring this post up on laptop and then go through those commands using the old desktop and try to find the info you are talking about. I do remember seeing something that resembled the stuff you are talking about. I didn't know it was going to be this technical but then again I like to learn

Old 08-04-15, 11:57 PM
Temporarily Suspended
The MAC address is probably stamped on the device. I don't know why you wouldn't want to login to each of those devices to adjust the security & other settings. That wasn't the original question but it became a question at a later date.

Old 08-05-15, 10:00 AM
LOL I have been reading your posts. I am completely out in left field
LOL – Don't feel bad. This stuff does seem to get pretty tricky. I was a software guy, but years ago now, for thirty some years – and I can get lost very quickly -lol.

It probably would be better to look directly at the TG862 as Pulpo says to see if you can find the MAC address. Because you are not actually connecting to xfinitwifi with your laptop, then maybe the TG862 will not show up in an arp command on your laptop as I said in step 2 in post #45.

So then maybe the arp command actually wouldn’t tell you the MAC address of the TG862 and so I would in fact be shocked-lol. But you can certainly find the MAC address of the TG862 and that’s what counts.

The basic idea is that the xfinitywifi broadcast actually identifies where it is emanating from by including its MAC address in the broadcast information. That piece of information in the broadcast is called the bssid. So your laptop would have that information and thus you can read it (via the Windows netsh command) and then compare it to the MAC address of your TG862. If they match then you know your own TG862 is the source of the broadcast.

The MAC address is a unique identifier assigned to communications interfaces allowing multiple devices to communicate on the network. If I look at the bottom of my Netgear router I see:

MAC : 6cbecef22ba4

That is a unique 48 bit id (shown here as a string of 12 hex digits, a hex digit= 4 bits, a hex digit can have a value 0-9,a,b,c,d,e,f where a=10, b=11, etc.)
Your Netgear most likely has a sticker like that on the bottom also. But we are really not interested in the Netgear (lol).

But it gets a little complicated because a device might interface to multiple networks and thus need multiple MAC’s. The TG862 Gateway is like that. It has the WiFi interface to a WiFi network, it has an interface (using 4 ports) to the local area network (LAN), and it has an interface to the Internet Service Provider(ISP) – i.e., to the network connected to the cable port on the TG862.

So it needs three MAC addresses. But the MAC address for the WiFi network should be the MAC address that would be included in the broadcast information from the TG862 and picked up by your laptop (i.e., it would be the bssid in the broadcast).

So if you ever get the urge to look, if you look at figures 28 and 29 (pages 24-25) in this manual you can see how to find the MAC addresses for the TG862 if they are not already identified on the device.

http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comca...ide_030811.pdf

That is if you are in the mood to look, lol, don’t blame you if you don’t. It’s summer – time for fun! lol

Old 08-05-15, 01:40 PM
I forgot to add this. I found this on the link below.

Will the Home Hotspot feature work when my Wireless Gateway is in bridge mode?

Yes. The Home Hotspot feature will continue to be available even when your device is in bridge mode, conveniently allowing your guests to connect to XFINITY WiFi when visiting. If you wish to disable/enable the Home Hotspot feature, please visit My Account at Comcast: Cable TV, Internet & Phone | XFINITY® Official Site , click on Users & Preferences and then select Manage XFINITY WiFi or call 1-800-XFINITY.
XFINITY WiFi - FAQs

Old 08-06-15, 04:22 PM
Wireless Modem

Ahh..that last post said it all. I do know about the MAC addresses and such because I needed them to activate. Now the question is do I go into the "Preferences" and root around without messing anything up? By the way if I am a "hotspot" is it open to anyone with a smartphone, etc. and if so will people using it slow me down? Sometimes it does seem like I get a "cold" connection where I just restart my browser and all seems OK

Old 08-06-15, 05:05 PM
Temporarily Suspended
By the way if I am a "hotspot" is it open to anyone with a smartphone, etc. and if so will people using it slow me down?
A slow network is the least of the problems that can be caused by your router being a hotspot, for others. The worst could be that you are arrested for something that one of your users did. Yes, your users. Your external IP address is theirs. It has happened before.

Old 08-07-15, 01:56 PM
Wireless Modem

LOL. I would hope the detectives, prosecutors, etc around here know to dig a little deeper than a IP address. (I know most of them) You never heard of a library, Donut Shop, etc. getting in trouble for one of their patrons. Anyway enough about that. I went into my account and found the "Manage Infinity Hotspot" and clicked on it. I got "wait till we check your settings" with a circle that went round and round. And that's all it did for half an hour then booted me out and asked for my password again and the same thing. Another half hour and out I went. I went to the old desktop and hard wired into the modem and got the same treatment. Maybe I don't have access

Old 08-07-15, 05:23 PM
Temporarily Suspended
LOL all you want. It won't be your friendly detectives. It will be the Feds. Do you know them too?

For the last time, I can offer some suggestions that will cover both the secuity & xinfinity questions. As I said before, it involves logging in to the web interfaces of the Arris & the Netgear separately & logging into the xinfinity wifi directly. If you don't want to do that, just say NO.

Old 08-07-15, 05:50 PM
hi again diybarbs –

I would think they must have you down as an xfinitywifi hotspot if they actually show you the option "Manage Infinity Hotspot". I don’t think they would show you that if your modem/router wasn’t designated as hotspot capable. But sometimes the left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing.lol I wonder if the fact that you own your own Gateway(TG862) is confusing their management process- so you get the little wheel spinning (I hate that little rolling doughnut wheel.) So much of the software/system design out there today is so sloppy I just want to cry – but I don’t. lol

I agree with Pulpo, to me it looks like your TG862 would be identified as the source of everything transmitted out to the internet from the 2 WiFi networks and it can’t be traced backward past the TG862. I believe that is correct.

Routers execute the NAT protocol and here is what Cisco says about NAT:

• NAT hides the identity of hosts, which may be an advantage or a disadvantage, depending on the desired result.

• A device configured with NAT must not advertise the local networks to the outside. However, routing information that NAT receives from the outside can be advertised in the stub domain as usual.
I found somewhere (can’t find it again) a statement that xfinitywifi will use a unique public IP on your Gateway, but that just seems plain wrong to me given the above. But then again if I understand how this all works I guess Comcast could modify the router firmware to use 2 different public IP’s for the 2 WiFi networks, and then assign the router those 2 public IP’s dynamically from their end instead of just one IP. But it’s hard to believe they would do all that.

Xfinitywifi is not supposed to slow down your network but given that the TG862 is a single band router and just uses the 2.4 GHz band, then it seems to me your home wifi network and xfinitywifi will have to share that band and theoretically your home network could be slowed down by xfinitwifi. So you wonder what kind of statistics Comcast is using when they say you won’t notice any difference. Who knows? lol

I bet you will just have to call them to get rid of the hotspot if it is in fact set on your TG862.

Gateway from hell! LOL Like that guy Jason from the movies, you can't kill the hotspot. At least that's what some folks out there say, it keeps coming back!

Last edited by zoesdad; 08-07-15 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-07-15, 08:05 PM
Well I just found something very interesting. I don’t know whether this guy is correct but it sure would support the idea that xfinitywifi and your home wifi network really are separated. I guess that would support Comcast’s claim that xfinitwifi is really separated out. I didn’t know this and it seems like a lot of other people out there discussing the hotspots and writing articles didn’t know it either.

http://www.quora.com/Are-there-secur...h-Xfinity-WiFi

Maybe Comcast doesn’t put that information in the Q&A list because it’s too technical.

This link explains it a little more.

http://www.quora.com/What-is-a-soft-...m-a-GRE-tunnel

So I guess the single IP for the Gateway isn’t a problem after all.

Old 08-08-15, 02:19 PM
One last thing then I’ll shut up (well at least I’ll give it a good try, LOL). I think I would have to disagree with Pulpo at little bit here. It does not seem as though anyone has identified any additional security risk for a home wifi network directly linked to hosting xfinitwifi on the Gateway. Some people speculate that you leave yourself open because there may be bugs in the Gateway that can be exploited if you host the xfinitwifi. But it looks like that is just speculation.

So it would seem like modifying any security parameters for the home wifi network would be totally independent of hosting the xfinitywifi network. In other words, there is nothing special you could set for security for the home network just because you host xfinitywifi on the Gateway. There would be no extra security parameters to set because the Gateway is hosting the xfinitywifi gateway. IMHO the real security that you would have to rely on would be the proper functioning of the Gateway firmware -which is out of your control.

At least that’s the way I read all of this.

Old 08-08-15, 02:52 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I think I would have to disagree with Pulpo at little bit here. It does not seem as though anyone has identified any additional security risk for a home wifi network directly linked to hosting xfinitwifi on the Gateway
I don't see how we can discuss the security settings any more without seeing what exists inside the devices, with or without the hot spot.

Old 08-09-15, 10:12 AM
Wireless Modem

I don't want to keep bugging you guys but THANK YOU and it is educational so I keep posting. You can cut me off at any time. Here is what I did...I went into the modem through 10.0.0.1 and poked around and found "wifi". It has a red x and says "inactive". Also found connected devises and there are none. It isn't that I want to say "NO" to your help but it is just probably a little deeper than my skill level. I guess I am probably trying to fix something that isn't broke

Old 08-09-15, 04:41 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Yay for diybarbs!!!! Going to the the modem through 10.0.0.1 is exactly what I was suggesting all along. I just didn't know what the IP address was. By doing that, you not only answered more questions than you think but you have created more as well.

Now we need to see how the Netgear is connected, to the Arris. Physically, it's connected by a cable but Netgear's default IP address is either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 Whomever set it up for you must have known how to point one block of IPs to the other or knew how to change Netgear's IP address to match.

So, tell me if I'm correct. The Netgear is connect by cable from the port marked WAN or Internet to one of the ports on Arris.

The desktop is connected by a cable to one of the 4 LAN ports on the Netgear

The laptop is connected wirlelessly to who knows where?

Confirm or correct any of those guesses & open a command prompt on each computer & run
ipconfig

Tell us the IP on each.

Old 08-10-15, 04:20 PM
Wireless Modem

Cable from Arris goes from slot 1 out to Netgear. Another cable goes from Netgear to back of old desktop. I hooked it up this way originally way back when but the old rented modem did not have Wifi. When I got my own modem I just plugged it in the same way and it worked. I didn't even know until recently that it had it's own wifi hence these posts. I am connecting through the Netgear because it has the name I gave it (I do remember the password if I need it) I am anal about passwords. I write them down and know where I wrote them

Old 08-10-15, 04:49 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Okay. now we are getting somewhere. That's exactly the way that I would connect it. I would still like to see the output of ipconfig, from a command prompt.

I'll explain the reasoning behind that later because I don't want to confuse you.

Old 08-13-15, 07:01 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I chat on IRC. That's Internet Relay Chat. It's a live chat where you see what other people are saying in real time. Here's a short conversation that I had with someone on Arris modems. The word "owned" in the following conversation means compromised or hacked.

<zorch> i got a new cablemodem a couple weeks ago
<zorch> somebody owned it already
guapo> zorch, what make & model was it?
<zorch> arris
guapo> oh damn
zorch> i suspect somebody owned a bunch of them
guapo> do you know how they exploited it?
zorch> default passwds and open ports on the wan side

I just thought that I would mention it.

Old 08-15-15, 12:21 PM
Wireless Modem

Not sure what info from ipconfig you need. Not comfortable posting but I think I am just going to go with what I got. If I do poke around and find something curious I will repost.

Old 08-15-15, 03:47 PM
Temporarily Suspended
ipconfig should only show internal IP addresses which won't show your location. However, if you want to stop now, it's not a problem.