Wireless Modem

Old 07-10-15, 03:39 PM
Wireless Modem

Haven't been on in a while. Need a little advice. I have an Arris TG862 modem. All along I have a Netgear Wireless modem plugged into it and have been running that way. Don't laugh but I didn't know that the TG862 was wireless in itself. I am assuming that is the connection I see in my list of signals. Anyway I realize I do have the instructions to set this thin up. My one concern.. I OWN MY OWN MODEM. Was a real PITA to get a "certain nameless company" to recognize it and get it off my bill. If I try to set up the wireless part could I mess up everything up?(controls phone also) I don't feel like dealing with said "company"

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-15, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator
I've never had a problem owning my own modem. Once you let them know and it's registered, anything you do with your wireless or security setting has no effect on the modem connection to the provider.

I've found the billing people and the tech people are 2 different animals.

Btw...did you mean the Netgear is a wireless "router"? I've never heard of plugging 1 modem into another.

In some ways I like having a just a modem and a separate router. Seems like the price works out about the same and if the router fails, you can still have at least one hardwire connection til you get a new one. More bulk, cables, and power supplies of course. If you have a equipment closet or cabinet thats not a big deal.

Old 07-10-15, 05:07 PM
wireless modem

Yea I meant router.What I meant to say is I have the Netgear Wireless Router plugged into the modem but apparently I don't actually need the router as the modem has its own wireless signal but I don't have it set up. If I did set it up will there be a problem??? Is there a problem just leaving it be?..(The old "if it ain't broke don't fix it" motto)
BTW registered???

Old 07-10-15, 05:25 PM
Group Moderator
The TG862 has WiFi and 4 ports.

You may want to look into shutting off the wireless signal in the Arris unit. I don't believe running two wireless units next to each other is beneficial.

I'm running my own high power wireless router on an Actiontec modem. I was not happy with the wireless performance on the supplied modem so I shut it off and am only using my own.

You could try both WiFi signals and see which one works best. The password for your Arris wireless connection should be on the back of the unit.

Old 07-10-15, 05:36 PM
wireless modem

Shutting it off sounds like it would be best. I am not sure if that is in the instructions or not . Do you happen to know how? I just want to shut off the wireless signal

Old 07-10-15, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator
What I meant by registered is that when you first set up your service or if you buy a new modem, you need to give them the MAC number on your device (on the label) so that the system allows it to link up.

Anything past the actual modem connection, they don't care.

Old 07-10-15, 05:41 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I don't feel like dealing with said "company"
Don't you mean unsaid company?

Either way, the only mistake that you may have made was having 2 devices running DHCP, on the same subnet. Based on what you have said so far, we aren't even sure of that. If you want to 'investigate' exactly which device is handling what, it can be done. In any case, the Netgear is not acting as a modem. It's still only acting as a router. In other words, the Arris can replace the Netgear but the Netgear can't replace the Arris.

Old 07-10-15, 05:58 PM
wireless modem

Well it is registered as I gave the the MAC numbers, etc. I realize the Netgear isn't a modem and I am definitely "talking" to the Netgear as it was set up before I got the modem. Once I went through the BS with the "company' it worked just like before and I can see it connected in my available connections. Little info..I live in a mobile home park and I have a scroll bar of connections due to proximity of neighbors. I am even seeing some dudes printer Anyway my netgear is the first one (connected) and "&@% wifi" is the next one on the list which I recently found out is probably my modem. I tried to connect and it won't. I am assuming nobody else can

Old 07-10-15, 06:15 PM
wireless modem

Gonna sign off for tonight. Thanks everybody for input. I just found a reference to put modem into "bridge" mode. Maybe will mess with tomorrow. Feel free to add anything - will be much appreciated.

Old 07-10-15, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator
Well, unless you really need the extra ports from the router, I'd just take it out of the loop. If you need one hardwired locally and everything else is wireless, then plug direct into the modem and set it up for wireless.

At my house I wanted to use 3 hardwired as well as wireless, so either I needed a router or a modem with enough ports...if they even exist?

Old 07-10-15, 06:38 PM
Group Moderator
You'd need to contact your cable company for bridge mode or to turn off the wireless.
You can try logging in but from what I've read.... the settings may not take unless preformed by the company.

Old 07-10-15, 06:46 PM
Temporarily Suspended
From a security point of view, I would disable wireless DHCP, on the modem, leave it connected to the Netgear with a Cat5 (Ethernet) cable & enable WPA2 encryption, on the Netgear. That's if you need wireless service at all.

Old 07-10-15, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator
Well, I think I'll shut up..the guys know a heck of a lot more about the setup than I do. I just thought it was a modem and a router in the same enclosure. Maybe not....

Old 07-10-15, 08:45 PM
I agree with Pulpo and while I am not as experienced as he is after doing research I found that I could link an old Linksys router I have to my Actiontec router supplied to me by Verizon. I first turned my newer router off and using a hard wired connection I turned DHCP off on the Linksys and kept it on on my new Actiontec router. The newer router could use WEP but I wanted to use WPA-2 which an old Dell Axim PDA wouldn't be able to use. So the older router is WEP for my old Axim and the new router is running WPA-2 for my newer devices.

To properly bridge though I found you have to connect Lan to Lan from each router. I haven't had any problems running wireless from each router and really couldn't do without my older router if I want to continue to use any older devices. You should be able to do the same thing without any problems.

Old 07-11-15, 04:25 PM
Wireless Modem

I appreciate all the help. I think the best thing is to not fix what isn't broke. Everything works and the last thing I want to do is "contact" them...LOL Only other option is to try to actually set it up with the codes/password to "talk" to the modem and maybe disconnect the netgear. I use the wireless for my laptop and also have an i-pad (to cheat on my crosswords while lying in bed)

Old 07-12-15, 03:27 AM
Temporarily Suspended
How to Login to the Arris TG862

If you want to login to the Arris, disconnect the Netgear & use the info on the above site. Configure it & reconnect the Netgear, if you decided to take the route that I suggested. If not, you can leave the Netgear disconnected. No matter what, use WPA2 for your wireless encryption. WEP is too easily cracked with the Aircrack-ng suite, of programs. WPA2 can be cracked with the same programs but it takes far more work. Also, change the default passwords on whatever devices that you decided to use.

Old 07-30-15, 02:08 PM
Wireless Modem

A little update. I got a little adventurous and found the address and was able to log in. I found the screen and enabled "bridge" mode. The "wi-fi" light went out on router. I rehooked it up the way I had it by plugging the Netgear into line 1 of modem. Everything works but I can still see the "xfinitywifi" connection in my connection availability thingy. Maybe that ISN'T my modem I am seeing. Should I leave it in bridge mode?

Old 07-30-15, 03:15 PM
Temporarily Suspended
"xfinitywifi" is not your router. However, one can connect to "xfinitywifi" if he or she has an account with them. They were under Comcast when I was in Florida. I don't know about NJ. I still recommend the settings that I described in post # 12.

Old 07-31-15, 03:38 PM
Hi folks –

I may be lost here but isn’t “xfinitywifi” the WiFi hotspot for which Comcast was/is soundly criticized for – for sneaking that into the customers Gateway? Or has Comcast eliminated that by now? Maybe I got lost here because it seems like sometimes above when you folks use the term “router” I think you are referring to the TG862 Gateway (modem/router) and other times I think you are referring to the NetGear router. (But maybe it’s just me! )

I’m sure I read in multiple places that even if you put the TG862 Gateway in bridge mode, and even though the WiFi light goes out, the Gateway may still be acting as Comcast hotspot – although I don’t know if that is actually true. (I don’t have a Gateway- just a modem in front of a router).

But why can’t you turn off the Gateway and then see if you still see “xfinitywifi” SSID on your WiFi capable device (your laptop in this case)? Wouldn’t that tell you whether or not your Gateway is the “xfinitywifi” source? Or was that not the question?

Old 07-31-15, 08:15 PM
Temporarily Suspended
A router is a device that handles blocks of internal non routable IP addresses. Some modem/router combination devices also do that. What are those blocks? I'm glad that you asked.
As far as this thread goes both the Netgear & the Arris modem/router combination both qualify as routers.

“xfinitywifi” is related to Comcast. However, it is not your gateway, if you don't purposely connect to it.

Old 08-01-15, 08:21 AM
Everything works but I can still see the "xfinitywifi" connection in my connection availability thingy. Maybe that ISN'T my modem I am seeing.
Should I leave it in bridge mode?
I understand what routers are and what they do, but unless I’m mistaken the question above rephrased is“why is “xfinitywifi” showing up in my list of available devices - Is that my modem and should I worry or eliminate bridge mode?” - and I think the answer most likely is “yes it is your modem”. (Could be a neighbors. Turn off the 862 to find out.)

The Gateway (the TG862 device ) may be providing multiple “gateways” – yours as you say, but possibly also the extra “gateway” ( “xfinitwifi”) Comcast provides for other users unbeknownst to the Gateway owner. But I’m not sure diybarbs will be happy with the “xfinitywifi” “gateway” sharing her/his Gateway(TG862). There are a lot of people out there who see things wrong with that and go through pains to get xfinitwifi off their Gateway. However, I really don’t know how valid their criticism is. I guess it may be very subjective.

But, in other words IMHO, it just seems to me the answer to the post should be to explain why “xfinitywifi” is showing up and let the poster decide whether or not she cares.

Old 08-01-15, 09:09 AM
Temporarily Suspended
But, in other words IMHO, it just seems to me the answer to the post should be to explain why “xfinitywifi” is showing up and let the poster decide whether or not she cares.
“xfinitywifi” is seen in the list for the simple reason that it's in range. Why would any user not want all connections, to be shown? It wouldn't make sense not to have all of them listed. I posted my suggested configuration 21 days ago, in post #12 & clarifications 2 days later. My suggestion remains the same.

Old 08-01-15, 12:04 PM
It just seems to me there is real confusion here for diybarbs:

As far as this thread goes both the Netgear & the Arris modem/router combination both qualify as routers.
So Pulpo when you say:

"xfinitywifi" is not your router.
- which “router” are you excluding? One can only interpret the last statement to mean you are excluding both routers, and that may very likely be incorrect if the Arris modem/router is broadcasting the “xfinitwifi” SSID. It seems you are just assuming “xfinitywifi” is from some remote equipment. How do you know that without a test – like shutting off the Arris modem/router (TG862) and seeing if xfinitywifi persists?

Old 08-01-15, 07:04 PM
Temporarily Suspended
“xfinitywifi” is neither router. Some cable companies offer wifi for their customers when they are not home. Here in NY "Optonline" from Cablevision does the same thing.

Feel free to test it. Shut down both the Netgear & Arris. I doubt that the Netgear would have an SSID as “xfinitywifi” but shut it down anyway. Then look at the list of available wireless networks. If “xfinitywifi” is still there, then I'm right. If it's not there turn on the Arris & see if “xfinitywifi” returns to the list.

Old 08-02-15, 05:36 AM
Wireless Modem

Sorry I don't use a smartphone so I can only see replies when I log on computer.
Here is what I did. I did unplug the Netgear power and it disappeared from my list. The Arris is a bit more complicated as it has a battery backup. Even if I completely isolate from system I believe I will still "see" it until battery dies. I don't want to mess with this too much so I don't completely gum up the works. Also if I disconnect from my Netgear and try to connect to wifi it acts like it is connected and even says it IS connected but I have no connection. It doesn't even bring up a box that asks for the password. I guess my real question in this whole thing is can people just jump on or should I just not worry about it?

Old 08-02-15, 06:31 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I guess my real question in this whole thing is can people just jump on or should I just not worry about it?
I'm surprised that the xinfinity disappeared from the available wireless networks list when the Netgear was disconnected. However, if your new question is about wireless security, there are a number of steps needed determine that as well. You'll probably find the answer to the xinfinity question too. If you want to proceed, you would open run a few commands (one at a time) from a command prompt & paste the output here. Type the first command & press enter. The same with the second command. Those commands are:
netstat -an

ipconfig /all

Make sure that you put a space between the command & the switch. The switches are -an & /all. When I instruct people how to run commands, I like to use more spaces for demonstration purposes but if I do that, the stupid forum software removes them automatically. Duh

Old 08-02-15, 08:28 AM
Wireless Modem

Sorry for the confusion. The Netgear disappeared but the xfinity was still there but I did not completely power down the Arris. And those two command prompts I tried...both of them when I pushed enter the black box came up for a split second and was gone...both of them. Could not read a thing. I did this on my old XP computer which is hardwired to the Netgear and also my laptop (Windows 7) which is wireless. If I do pull the battery and unplug the Arris to completely disable it will I screw everything up?

Old 08-02-15, 08:31 AM
hi folks –

diybarbs when you turned off the NetGear was it the SSID of the NetGear that then disappeared from your list? In other words something like “NetGear28” or “NetGear-default” disappeared from the SSID list – it wasn’t “xfinitywifi” that disappeared from the list. Is that correct?

we posted at same time - I'll read your new post

Old 08-02-15, 09:00 AM
Wireless modem

Yes. My net gear I configured a long time ago so it has a name I gave it. Xfinity is still there. Btw at the top of my list of available connections It says "wireless network connection 2" with an arrow next to it. When I click on arrow the list goes away and vice versa

Old 08-02-15, 09:10 AM
This link has some info about how to reset the Gateway with battery backup, although the Gateways shown may be a little different from yours.

Performing a full reset of cable modem with battery backup | Answer | NETGEAR Support

As they state you might have to get the ISP involved afterwards. But it seems to me you shouldn’t have to do that just to determine if the xfinitywifi signal is originating from your TG862. I never tried it ( I just got a wireless NetGear router myself a short time ago), but I’m wondering why you can’t just some way physically block radio signals coming from the TG862 – and then see if xfinitwifi disappears on your laptop?

It seems like that should be possible without harming any equipment or changing settings.

But maybe that can’t work. Maybe the other guys here would know.
I know you want to talk much with ISP (don’t blame you) but maybe if you told them you suspect xfinitwifi is coming from your TG862 and you would just like to know if that’s the case – you would think they would be obligated to confirm or deny that for you fairly quickly.

You know I just thought of something very funny – I just assumed all along your provider is Comcast! If not – hahahaha!

Old 08-02-15, 09:22 AM
Wireless modem

You assume correctly on isp. Not sure where I will go from here. All is working it is just that I was curious of the situation. Maybe if we get a power outage here or something I will do researchbut I will check back here for any info. I am using my iPad for this post. It also sees xfinity and when I click it does ask for user and password

Old 08-02-15, 09:34 AM
There are some articles out there addressing concerns of people about hosting xfinitywifi on their Gateway (however I did not save the links) so you can probably find out what the downside is. Comcast also has articles describing the upside. Some of the downside is added electricity cost. If I remember correctly a lot of the downside seemed trivial to me – but I’m no expert and security concerns seem very subjective to me. I don’t think I would worry about hosting the xfinitywifi if it were me – but just my opinion.

And right now you don’t even know if it’s coming from your Gateway – maybe not.

But good luck!

Old 08-02-15, 05:21 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Sorry for the confusion. The Netgear disappeared but the xfinity was still there
Of course, the Netgear would disappear. That goes without saying. The question was if xinfinity disappeared or not. I knew that it wouldn't.

If you still want to analyze it, run the commands that I posted & paste the output here.

Old 08-03-15, 08:21 AM
Wireless Modem

I did run those commands. On both of them a black box opened and immediately disappeared in a split second.

Old 08-03-15, 08:37 AM
diybarbs-

sorry I was a little sloppy and forgot that you posted way back in post #1 that you purchased your own Gateway (TG862). Now supposedly, as the story goes, if you own your equipment Comcast won’t use it as a hotspot - and so the TG862 would not broadcast the xfinitywifi SSID.

But since they control the entire Gateway – firmware control, etc. – it would seem they certainly have the capability to use it as a hotspot anyway , maybe accidentally (and somewhat careless?) not realizing that they don’t own the Gateway equipment. Who knows? lol

Old 08-03-15, 09:20 AM
I did run those commands. On both of them a black box opened and immediately disappeared in a split second.
You might be typing the commands in the Windows Search Box which is in the lower left just above that circle which looks like a globe. In that case the output will flash and disappear. You should be able to see something on the Start Menu on the left that says “Command Prompt” with a picture of a little black screen to its left. If you click on that you will get a black screen and you can type your commands.

Old 08-03-15, 12:28 PM
Wireless Modem

I did find the command prompt and typed in those commands. I got back a whole long list of gibberish that would take me a year to type. One of these days I'll poke around some more and see what I find. Maybe I should just leave it alone

Old 08-03-15, 01:24 PM
hi barbs –

Sure I don’t blame you. But just FYI – you can pipe the output of those commands to a file if you so choose so it will go into a file instead of the screen. For example, you could type:

netstat -an > MyNetStatFile.txt

which would put the output of the “netstat –an” command into the file named MyNetStatFile.txt – or any other file name you choose.

You can then open that file (MyNetStatFile.txt in this example) with Notepad and then cut the contents of the file and paste it into the box where you post information for this forum.

I don’t know what Pulpo would gain from the output of those 2 commands – but he would have to speak for himself.

I believe the netstat command will show the TCP protocol or UDP protocol connections your PC is involved in at the time the command is entered, and ipconfig will display TCP/IP protocol values set in your PC, in other words, it will show the internet address of your PC and things like that.

So I don’t know how all that would help to determine if your TG862 is broadcasting the xfinitwifi SSID since there is no expectation anyone would using the xfinitywifi SSID if it is being broadcast from your GateWay- at this time. But Pulpo can answer that.

Old 08-03-15, 01:54 PM
Temporarily Suspended
You don't have to type the gibberish. You right click in the black box, left click on select all, right click again, left click on copy, go back to the reply box, in this forum, right click in it & left click on paste. Post it here.

Then I will read it & give you the next step, if you want to continue. If you don't want to continue, just say so.

Old 08-03-15, 01:59 PM
right - left, right- left

I just got dizzy and fell off my chair - lol

(we all are good sports)

Pulpo double-check your instructions - I don't think they are correct.

left click on select all, right click again, left click on copy,

Is that correct?

Well looks like that does in fact work! My bad.

Last edited by zoesdad; 08-03-15 at 02:19 PM.