Bad Monitor ?

Old 04-02-01, 03:34 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Several times during the past month or so my monitor sort of "popped" and the screen went black. After doing so, I turned off the monitor's power switch and let it sit for a minute or so - while leaving the CPU turned on. After several minutes, the monitor was turned back on and worked fine. Does this sound like a bad monitor or maybe a Video card? The monitor is a brand name about 2 yrs old; the video card is a brand name also about 1.5 yrs old.

Old 04-02-01, 09:53 PM
Visiting Guest
I had the same problem few years back. I am not a technician, what I found out was, there is a big capacitor inside and that is going bad. It would have cost me 120 to
fix it. well, a new monitor cost the same.
But you could barrow a monitor from a friend, connect it and see if that works ok. that way, you can make sure it's not the video card.
good luck.
henry

Old 04-03-01, 04:10 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I am not sure if you mean black as in no video or as in no raster. As henryk mentioned if you have another monitor that could be tried on it, or someone that could try your monitor, it would narrow the cause down completely. If it is black as in no raster then it is a problem at the monitor, if it is black as in no video than it could be at either the computer or monitor. If you still have the documentation receipt for the monitor I would check on the warranty coverage, if it is 1 year or 3 years.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: