New Memory

Old 07-27-15, 01:13 PM
B
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
New Memory

Dell XPS 420 64 bit
Windows 7 Pro

Removed two sticks @ 1GB and two sticks @ 512MB and put in 4 sticks @ 2GB.

Computer is showing only 6GB of memory. Running Speccy it shows 2GB in three slots and nothing in slot 4. They all snapped in good.

Ran Dell Memory Diagnostics and it said no problems.

So....is there a setting I have to change someplace or do I have to take this thing apart again?

Here's from my manual, not sure just what that means.

Thanks

Old 07-27-15, 01:21 PM
B
Old 07-27-15, 01:22 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 101 Votes on 87 Posts
I'd pull one stick and see what happens and then swap out that one for another until you've removed each one to see if you have a bad stick or port.

Old 07-27-15, 01:54 PM
B
It says to use 'matched pairs'. Would it hurt anything if I stuck a 1GB in place of a 2 other than working slower? The ones I took out are 667 MHz and replaced with 800 MHz.

Old 07-27-15, 02:39 PM
B
Took me an hour to remember what it was called, BIOS, went in there and it says slot 1 is empty. Guess I'll have to unplug everything and see what I can find.

Old 07-27-15, 03:41 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The thing to remember about memory is that as your manual states if you have a 32 bit operating system then only 4 gb will be seen. Also the memory must match the speed of the memory slots and if it is not a perfect match your memory will not be seen by the computer. I not too long ago bought memory for a Toshiba laptop and one thing was not a match to the memory I needed so I had to return it.

Here is a link to a company I use fairly often not saying you should buy here but look over the specifications and see if they match your memory Dell XPS 420 Memory & RAM Chip Upgrades - Lifetime Guarantee! . If the specifications don't match completely you need different memory.

Old 07-27-15, 04:42 PM
B
Success

Even though the tabs on the end were up and locked the sticks came out much easier than the first time, all of them.

I'm still pretty timid when I go in there but you gotta just stick your hands in there and push 'em down.

Good to go, all is well.

I bookmarked that site, much cheaper than I paid.

Thanks

Old 07-27-15, 06:24 PM
H
I was going to mention pushing the memory down hard until you hear a slight snap sound if you still had problems. Another problem I had with an old desktop I bought from someone was the memory falling out so it didn't matter how hard I pushed as it wouldn't stay in place. I am glad it is working great for you and also glad you like that website. Only one time did I have any problems with the memory I bought from them and they replaced it right away. Whenever I buy memory I do what you did and check it with a computer program, Memtest I like the best.

Old 07-29-15, 06:42 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
When it comes to memory, the mother board specs are what have to be considered. What MB is in that machine?

Old 07-30-15, 07:33 AM
Z
Received 43 Votes on 42 Posts
It looks like Baldwin is OK - post #1 if i understand is info right from his manual.

Old 07-30-15, 08:32 AM
B
Motherboard
Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model 0TP406 (CPU)
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model X38
Chipset Revision 00
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model 82801IR (ICH9R)
Southbridge Revision 02
BIOS
Brand Dell Inc.
Version A07
Date 2/25/2009

RAM
Memory slots
Total memory slots 4
Used memory slots 4
Free memory slots 0
Memory
Type DDR2
Size 8192 MBytes
Channels # Dual
DRAM Frequency 399.0 MHz
CAS# Latency (CL) 6 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 6 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 6 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 18 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 2T
Physical Memory
Memory Usage 29 %
Total Physical 7.94 GB
Available Physical 5.62 GB
Total Virtual 16 GB
Available Virtual 13 GB
SPD
Number Of SPD Modules 4
Slot #1
Slot #2
Slot #3
Slot #4

Working fine now, I just didn't have them pushed all the way down. And it does speed things up.

Old 07-30-15, 09:06 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Now change the virtual memory setting to system managed.

Old 07-30-15, 09:23 AM
B
Really. Where would I go to do that?

Old 07-30-15, 10:02 AM
B
Did the google thing....

RAM
Memory slots
Total memory slots 4
Used memory slots 4
Free memory slots 0
Memory
Type DDR2
Size 8192 MBytes
Channels # Dual
DRAM Frequency 399.0 MHz
CAS# Latency (CL) 6 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 6 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 6 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 18 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 2T
Physical Memory
Memory Usage 18 %
Total Physical 7.94 GB
Available Physical 6.47 GB
Total Virtual 16 GB
Available Virtual 14 GB
SPD
Number Of SPD Modules 4
Slot #1
Slot #2
Slot #3
Slot #4

That seemed to free up a lot of memory which I would guess is a good thing.

Thanks!

Old 07-30-15, 10:04 AM
Z
Baldwin I think this link shows what Pulpo is talking about. I’m curious, I have windows 7 and the page file size Windows 7 chose for me is the same size as my RAM – 2 GB. But if you look at the explanation on the page below I reference – it says 1.5 times your RAM size is what the page file size should be. Maybe it’s just a difference between Windows XP and W7 – but I would think that shouldn’t matter.

Maybe yours by default is already set to System Managed.

https://www.microsoft.com/resources/....mspx?mfr=true

Old 07-30-15, 11:13 AM
B
Not sure what to say, kind of over my head. My cached went from 4500 to 1575, free went from 2000 to 4700.

I unchecked the top box in virtual memory and clicked the system managed. Didn't notice what the page file said but right now it is paged 214, nonpaged 47.

Here is what it says now:

Old 07-30-15, 01:10 PM
Z
Baldwin,

I guess that link I posted was for Windows XP Professional, and I guess that’s why it looks different than the Virtual Memory dialog box you show. Sorry about dat! (lol) But I believe you were OK with either "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" or "System managed size" – I think either one is OK since I believe you only have one hard drive in your system, so I believe those two options would be equivalent. Maybe the other guys can double-check that, but I’m pretty sure that’s correct.

The idea is that you should have a file (pagefile) declared on the disk, so that Windows has a place to write out information from RAM to the disk– and then read it back again - as needed, to allow the system to operate beyond the limits it normally would if totally constricted by the limitation of the physical RAM.

In other words when Windows starts to run out of RAM it can choose some pieces of RAM with information that may not be immediately needed, and write that information to disk thus freeing up that RAM. Later when the software needs that piece(s) from disk Windows will write other pieces of RAM to disk and read back the piece from disk that is now needed. In other word, Windows is swapping out RAM pages to disk taking priority into consideration. The scheme can get pretty complicated I believe.

(I go way way back - so far back I remember when Virtual Memory was first invented (lol). It made an enormous difference in our productivity. In the old days we had to write software applications which were cognizant of the actual physical RAM limitations and that made it much more difficult. We actually had to figure out in the application how to reuse code areas and data areas ourselves. Today you just write applications as though you have all the room in the world for code in RAM – and OS paging makes it all invisible. So far fewer bugs. Good thing! Our guys wrote a concurrent Pascal OS for us when we did a big job for NATO - which had memory paging. Pretty sure that was in the very earliest days of that feature.)

Old 07-30-15, 01:19 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Baldwin, what you have is correct. System Managed Size. As RAM gets bigger & bigger. in PCs, there is less of a need for a page file.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: